Paul Ashford

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Newbe ZS EV owner here.

I have a question regarding charging from a public charge point.

Today was my first ever connection to a Pod Point at my local Tesco store, and indeed my first ever charge of the car as it's only 4 days old!!
Connection was simple following the instructions on the Pod Point app and charging commenced according to the app. Naturally I wanted to confirm that the car was accepting the charge and electrons were flowing in the right direction, so.......

1. The manual says that there is a light that glows on the front of the vehicle during charging, where?? I couldn't find one although it was in strong sunlight and I'm getting on a bit but I could not find said lamp.

2. Again according to the manual the charge should be shown on the panel, standing outside the vehicle I could not see anything displayed on the screen. If I have unlocked the car to look inside the charge would have stopped so defeating the object. How do you know what is going into the batteries?

On leaving the site the "fuel gauge" indicated that some charge had gone in so it did work.

I may have misunderstood the manual so any advice from you guys would be welcome.

Thanks Paul.

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the ZS EV world.
The light is within the badge and it is very hard to see in daylight, but you will see it at night.
The easy way to see the charging is when you first lock the car you will see in on the middle panel on the dash.
If you open the boot you’ll still be able to see the charging status, opening the boot does stop the charging..
Or approach the door with out the keys, out of range, and press the door handle button as this will also enable you to see the status.
Lastly you can sit in the car and lock the car from the inside firstly you make sure all is good and then exit and lock the car, but as I say look through the window on the dash and it will say how much charging time is remaining for a full charge.
We all long for the European app as this would be so much easier.
I hope this is helpful.

Hi everyone,

Newbe ZS EV owner here.

I have a question regarding charging from a public charge point.

Today was my first ever connection to a Pod Point at my local Tesco store, and indeed my first ever charge of the car as it's only 4 days old!!
Connection was simple following the instructions on the Pod Point app and charging commenced according to the app. Naturally I wanted to confirm that the car was accepting the charge and electrons were flowing in the right direction, so.......

1. The manual says that there is a light that glows on the front of the vehicle during charging, where?? I couldn't find one although it was in strong sunlight and I'm getting on a bit but I could not find said lamp.

2. Again according to the manual the charge should be shown on the panel, standing outside the vehicle I could not see anything displayed on the screen. If I have unlocked the car to look inside the charge would have stopped so defeating the object. How do you know what is going into the batteries?

On leaving the site the "fuel gauge" indicated that some charge had gone in so it did work.

I may have misunderstood the manual so any advice from you guys would be welcome.

Thanks Paul.

Hi Paul,
If you press the lock button on the keys, you can see the charge status on the dashboard. As Mark said, it's impossible to see the light on the MG badge during the day but it's useful at home at night if you can see the badge from your house windows.
cheers
Nick

Mark and Nibloprice,

Thanks for that, I was beginning to think it was me! I didn't know about being able to open the boot either so a good tip, saves having to stand around with shopping till finish charging!

A European app would be helpful, my brothers Leaf allows him to check the charge state while sitting in the cafe. We can only dream!

Really pleased with the car, it had been stuck in the dealers for 2 months waiting for restrictions to be eased and then the hand over was done at 2 metres, novel!

Thanks again.

Mark and Nibloprice,

Thanks for that, I was beginning to think it was me! I didn't know about being able to open the boot either so a good tip, saves having to stand around with shopping till finish charging!

A European app would be helpful, my brothers Leaf allows him to check the charge state while sitting in the cafe. We can only dream!

Really pleased with the car, it had been stuck in the dealers for 2 months waiting for restrictions to be eased and then the hand over was done at 2 metres, novel!

Thanks again.

Yes I’m really happy with mine too, great car for the price in my opinion, but there are some little quirks, like the bongs which do get on my nerves a little...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom