MG ZS EV Facelift - Have you ordered?

I've finally given up on the MG and cancelled my order. I realised that with increased inflation and fuel costs coming down the line it was not what I needed and I have managed to secure a brand new Renault Zoe in stock for half what the ZS was going to cost per month.

Smaller yes (although slightly longer wheelbase than ZS) but similar range from 20kwh less battery. My in laws have one and get a realistic 225miles.

Maybe I'll be back in a couple of years.

My finger has been hovering over the cancel button for a while now.

All I will gain is range and a dog sized boot, which is why I originally ordered.

Now I am not convinced that what I will lose ( especially efficiency) is going to be worth it.

My finger has been hovering over the cancel button for a while now.

All I will gain is range and a dog sized boot, which is why I originally ordered.

Now I am not convinced that what I will lose ( especially efficiency) is going to be worth it.
I know its not a comparable car in many ways but the Zoe, as well as being cheaper to own, as its more efficient I think it could save me between £15 and £20 pm in electricity to do the same mileage. I know 5 miles per kwh is achievable in summer and only as low as 3.6 in winter

I know its not a comparable car in many ways but the Zoe, as well as being cheaper to own, as its more efficient I think it could save me between £15 and £20 pm in electricity to do the same mileage. I know 5 miles per kwh is achievable in summer and only as low as 3.6 in winter
If the Zoe meets your needs and requirements, then I am just glad to here you are all sorted at last !.
Given the chip shortage affects all manufactures, then Renault must have had a good stock pile of Zoe’s already built before the chip shortage hit hard !.
Which model Zoe did you go for ?.
The basic version has had it’s Eurocap rating set at zero just lately.

If the Zoe meets your needs and requirements, then I am just glad to here you are all sorted at last !.
Given the chip shortage affects all manufactures, then Renault must have had a good stock pile of Zoe’s already built before the chip shortage hit hard !.
Which model Zoe did you go for ?.
The basic version has had it’s Eurocap rating set at zero just lately.
It will meet our needs. We have ordered the GT Line top of te range. Has all the features of MG except the sunroof.

I know 5 miles per kwh is achievable in summer and only as low as 3.6 in winter
Zoe is a good car but I was never able to cross 4.5 in the summer. In the winter if you frequently do short trips the rubbish heater will kill your efficiency as it uses a massive amount to heat the car up in the beginning. At least the Gt line has heated seats that help somewhat.

Ian Sampson ( Of You Tube fame ) had a Leaf then a Zoe and eNV200 and also now a Honda e.
Here is his personal review of his previous reliable Zoe after 30,000 hard miles of use.
His cars are total "Work Horse's".

Don't expect that if you do any fast road driving ;)
Currently hovering around 3.3 and 180 miles on a full charge and I do a good mix of roads.

Part of me wishing I'd kept my order in for a new ZE50 to replace the outgoing one. For one I'd be picking it up about now and not waiting until September...
Price wise they'd have cost about the same per month but it was also a drop from GT to Iconic to get that price.

I've had a Zoe ZE40 for the last four years, it's been very reliable and thrifty. I have had as much as 5.8 mp kWh in Summer and just local journeys, but motorway kills it like any other EV. I'm on 3.8 m/kWh at the moment, and in the South East, so warmer than other parts of the country.

I wanted the MG for something a bit bigger and more comfortable, I didn't like Renault's cost cutting on air bags, so discounted the idea of a ZE50. Having test driven a Trophy LR I was impressed, and it feels like a big upgrade, so will wait and see when it arrives (ordered January).

I'm sure you'll find the Zoe an excellent EV, it has it's software quirks, but have a look on the speakEV
forum for all the help you might need with it.

It will meet our needs. We have ordered the GT Line top of te range. Has all the features of MG except the sunroof.
And it’s missing the head height airbag, and seat belt pretensioners too - that’s why we cancelled our Zoe & have been looking for something else. We were awaiting an Ora Cat, but settled for (and ordered) a ZS Trophy LR). :)

And it’s missing the head height airbag, and seat belt pretensioners too - that’s why we cancelled our Zoe & have been looking for something else. We were awaiting an Ora Cat, but settled for (and ordered) a ZS Trophy LR). :)
It has exactly the same seat belt pretensioners as the previous models...

It has exactly the same seat belt pretensioners as the previous models...
I meant in comparison to the MG…lack of pretensioners in the back, and no head airbags in the Zoe ZE50 (all models) in comparison to the MG ZS EV. Also lack of adjustable driver seat height in the Zoe too…

I test drove a Zoe when I bought the current pug. It drove well but seemed a bit sparse and basic inside. Reason I didn't go for it in the end was because Renault wanted 500 quid for CCS charging to be fitted. Every other EV I tested CCS came as standard.

It's OK, did have a MG5 on order briefly, and that hasn't got any NCAP rating as yet. 😀
Yeah - I was explicitly told by Renault on twitter that the ZE50 was 5 star NCAP rated and partly based my decision to buy on that. Week later it was zero star!! 😂😂😂 hence the cancellation. Looking forward to my MG ZS Trophy, whenever it arrives - which when test driving it, felt head and shoulders above the Zoe GT Line (or edition, or GT Line+ or whatever the top of the range is now called!).

It’s funny though isn’t it how even though the Zoe was supposedly £34,995 all the dealer deals and money off and finance options made it over £100 cheaper per month in comparison to the ZS Ev Trophy even though I’ve got that in the affinity deal! 🤯🤯🤯

Yeah - I was explicitly told by Renault on twitter that the ZE50 was 5 star NCAP rated and partly based my decision to buy on that. Week later it was zero star!! 😂😂😂 hence the cancellation. Looking forward to my MG ZS Trophy, whenever it arrives - which when test driving it, felt head and shoulders above the Zoe GT Line (or edition, or GT Line+ or whatever the top of the range is now called!).

It’s funny though isn’t it how even though the Zoe was supposedly £34,995 all the dealer deals and money off and finance options made it over £100 cheaper per month in comparison to the ZS Ev Trophy even though I’ve got that in the affinity deal! 🤯🤯🤯
Yes, I hear you and agree the ZS is a nice car. Just for me it wasn't worth the near £200 pm more it was going to cost over the Zoe. I beleive that the Zoe is still a safe car in the same way a 5 star car from 5 years ago is still a safe car, even though it would too probably be 0 stars now.

I will take my savings and bank them and maybe get a nice MG4 LR in a couple of years! 😀.

I have found this forum a great source of information and hope to be back!

I hope you all enjoy your new cars, whenever you get them!

Last edited:
I've finally given up on the MG and cancelled my order. I realised that with increased inflation and fuel costs coming down the line it was not what I needed and I have managed to secure a brand new Renault Zoe in stock for half what the ZS was going to cost per month.

Smaller yes (although slightly longer wheelbase than ZS) but similar range from 20kwh less battery. My in laws have one and get a realistic 225miles.

Maybe I'll be back in a couple of years.

Can’t blame you, it’s a long time to wait if you’re ready to change now.

I had a major wobble this week and actually stuck a deposit down on a used PHEV BMW. Then I read the reviews about the dealer and had second thoughts. So at the moment, my order stays in and we wait.

Good luck with the Zoe. Great car!

Yes, I hear you and agree the ZS is a nice car. Just for me it wasn't worth the near £200 pm more it was going to cost over the Zoe. I beleive that the Zoe is still a safe car in the same way a 5 star car from 5 years ago is still a safe car, even though it would too probably be 0 stars now.

I will take my savings and bank them and maybe get a nice MG4 LR in a couple of years! 😀.

I have found this forum a great source of information and hope to be back!

I hope you all enjoy your new cars, whenever you get them!
I think it’s only the basic version of the Zoe that has had the side impact protection removed.
The new NCAP rating picked up on the removal / omission of the safety feature and then dropped the rating to zero !.
This video from “EV Nick” explains the situation perfectly.

Just had an email from Masters Dealership they are closing at the end of April ☹️☹️ I hope all the benefits that I have squeezed out of them will be transferred to the new dealer and that they are not too far away. I have the option of cancelling but I really love all the goodies that come with the MG ZS LR and I feel that I got a good trade in price on my car. The only concern is will I be moved even further back down the queue. Would you cancel?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom