MG ZS EV Facelift - Test drives

Currently driving a Sportage 1.6 GT Line S, petrol, with average consumption around 28-29 MPG.. Decided to have a look at EV's and ended up test driving Kona, Niro, Mustang and finally the new long range ZS. TBH there were things that I liked about all of them, but the ZS impressed particularly, even without the cost being factored in. Ordered a Trophy in red yesterday and hoping to get it Jan/Feb 22. Not only will my PCP payments go down from £496 to £379, the additional savings of at least £100 a month for fuel make it a no brainer.

Currently driving a Sportage 1.6 GT Line S, petrol, with average consumption around 28-29 MPG.. Decided to have a look at EV's and ended up test driving Kona, Niro, Mustang and finally the new long range ZS. TBH there were things that I liked about all of them, but the ZS impressed particularly, even without the cost being factored in. Ordered a Trophy in red yesterday and hoping to get it Jan/Feb 22. Not only will my PCP payments go down from £496 to £379, the additional savings of at least £100 a month for fuel make it a no brainer.
Welcome to the EV Club!!! :D My wife just joined too as she got her first EV yesterday

Thought I would add to the list. First time EV buyer. I wasn't looking at the MG ZS because of the range (160 miles felt a bit short of longer trips and would drive me mad in winter). I was looking around the £30k price so seemed like the best of what was there was a Kona, but felt the space was a compromise (coming from an older MPV). Test drove the MG ZS the other day, and have to say, it was just wonderful.

I know a lot of reviews say it is budget (that salesperson even said it was budget), but actually, it felt nice and solid and really well made. The drive was just wonderful. I am not a racer, so the power was far more than I needed, even in eco mode. The car felt solid on the road, infotainment etc worked as expected. My partner found the steering a bit heavy, but more something to get used to than a problem.

Space in the back is fantastic for the family. I am six foot, and could sit comfortably behind the driver's seat when set up for me. Range wise, it was 10 degrees outside, and the GOM was showing about 245 miles on eco at 99%, that was without resetting it, so it would show other drivers habits too. Only thing that caught me out is that the regen was a bit hit and miss at the 100% mark - which others have said as well. I don't think I would have it charged to 100% very often - I would very seldom need that range in one trip.

All in all, a really nice, comfortable car with everything I need and more. I didn't bother testing the connect options (not interested in those give it has carplay). I am sold and am putting my order in - I am not going to bother test driving anything else. And I know people say the looks are a bit generic, but I really like them.

Only thing that caught me out is that the regen was a bit hit and miss at the 100% mark
The regen doesn't, regen when your battery is at 100%, nowhere for the energy to go. It starts working properly after a few miles.

The regen doesn't, regen when your battery is at 100%, nowhere for the energy to go
Yes. I think it was just something to get used to as it was the first time driving an EV. Not a problem with the car as you say. Just throws you a bit when getting used to it.

Yes. I think it was just something to get used to as it was the first time driving an EV. Not a problem with the car as you say. Just throws you a bit when getting used to it.
~Yep, it's one of those things, and there are many of them. But now you know this one, you know
But anyway....... welcome

Hi all, had a test drive on Friday and was impressed! I'm 6ft 2 and was able to get a comfortable driving position v.easily without the reach adjustment. It was easy and comfortable to drive, fast enough when needed, and good amount of tech, which was intuitive and responsive. As a family of 4, space is super important, and I thought I'd include the photo of the boot swallowing our double buggy if anyone else is also looking at this as a potential family car. I ordered a Trophy in white at the beginning of November and have been quoted a February delivery date. Cannot wait to finally go electric!
PXL_20211203_130315693.jpg
PXL_20211203_123753674.jpg
PXL_20211203_123800863.jpg

Shame they didn't show the state of charge but that would be a great test drive:cool:

This is great! The biggest downside to an EV is trips to Wales. Charging infrastructure there is poor so we haven't visited nearly as much since having the leaf. Will be vastly easier with the new ZS. Not excusing the lack of rapids in Wales though! lots more are needed, and not just on the A55.

This is great! The biggest downside to an EV is trips to Wales. Charging infrastructure there is poor so we haven't visited nearly as much since having the leaf. Will be vastly easier with the new ZS. Not excusing the lack of rapids in Wales though! lots more are needed, and not just on the A55.
Just want an NC500 video now :LOL:

Hi all, had a test drive on Friday and was impressed! I'm 6ft 2 and was able to get a comfortable driving position v.easily without the reach adjustment. It was easy and comfortable to drive, fast enough when needed, and good amount of tech, which was intuitive and responsive. As a family of 4, space is super important, and I thought I'd include the photo of the boot swallowing our double buggy if anyone else is also looking at this as a potential family car. I ordered a Trophy in white at the beginning of November and have been quoted a February delivery date. Cannot wait to finally go electric! View attachment 5879View attachment 5877View attachment 5878
There's never enough space with a family...then I saw this :eek:

We live in North Wales and the number of rapids away from the A55 is poor.
Paid a visit to friends in Harlech earlier in the year, charging facilities are pretty much zero !.
We are stretching the legs ( range ) of our current Gen1 ZS EV when we take this trip.
The new face ZSEV face lift will eliminate that issue !.

I drove the silver car from Chorley MG this week too.

The auto parking brake had a slight issue in that unlike our Gen1 it released the brake on inclines but then rolled back unless quite a bit of pressure was applied to hold the car or pull forward.
The car drives well but in all honesty I can’t say it is any quieter than our Gen1 and the motor does whine around the same as ours. Considering we are comparing a car with less than a hundred miles on the clock to a 10K mile car.
The voice Commands were really frustrating, in fact even the car seemed to be losing its patience after a while, it responded with ‘what ?’ at one point 🙈

For us it was only the additional range that was a significant factor, but for £8K to change I think we can manage quite well with the Gen1. Well until I can convince my Wife we really need a Polestar 2 😂

I have asked the remaining range question !.
Strangely, it was the very first thing that I thought of.
Good reply too.
We arrived with 20 miles of range remaining, working out at an average of 3.2 miles per kWh. Considering it was near freezing outside and the wet and windy driving conditions for the second half of the drive, we were pleasantly surprised. On the trip back, the weather was warmer, and we achieved 3.4 miles per kWh. We might try the journey again in the summer to try and hit that 273 WLTP range!

Well that was a disappointment! I feel in a real dilemma now! Just got back from the test drive and liked the fit and finish and found the seats to be very comfortable. Hard to put a finger on what was wrong it just didn't feel quite like an EV should. I didn't get the low down weight feeling so the ride was a bit skittish and not quite as connected as I'd like. Main bugbear was KERS; the switch to use it is a bit of a stretch and the brake pedal offers no regen, which I had guessed might be the case, so you're pretty much forced to leave it in level 3 if you want regen. If you let the regen slow you down to a junction and then decide to go then there's a scary delay before anything happens.

Well that was a disappointment! I feel in a real dilemma now! Just got back from the test drive and liked the fit and finish and found the seats to be very comfortable. Hard to put a finger on what was wrong it just didn't feel quite like an EV should. I didn't get the low down weight feeling so the ride was a bit skittish and not quite as connected as I'd like. Main bugbear was KERS; the switch to use it is a bit of a stretch and the brake pedal offers no regen, which I had guessed might be the case, so you're pretty much forced to leave it in level 3 if you want regen. If you let the regen slow you down to a junction and then decide to go then there's a scary delay before anything happens.
The brake pedal definitely gives regen. The gauge drops into the recharge zone to show that it's using regen. If you are going down a hill using L3 regen, and you apply the brakes, the regen increases before it uses the friction brakes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom