The 5 modules that need to be updated are VCU EVCC CCU BMS and BCM. I don’t know which relates to the Tesla incompatibility issue. I haven’t had any opportunity to see if my car will connect to Tesla EVSEs - I don’t think there are any nearby, and I manage with charging at home.
The CCS refers to the ‘plug’ type - the MG has CCS 2, which will work with Tesla, provided the necessary update has been carried out.
On my MG5 I had the CCU recall update and that sorted Tesla charging. I’ve also had the MPU and MCU updated to try and sort a radio/carplay issue (didn’t). My service guy said MG Won’t do any updates unless it’s to resolve an issue.

My service guy said MG Won’t do any updates unless it’s to resolve an issue
Although this is a common practice, I do feel that not being able to use a certain single type of D/C charger ( namely the non Tesla units ) could be regarded as an “Issue” in itself and therefore needs resolving.
It is perfectly clear to me here that MG has decided that they see the non Tesla charging update as a “Nice To Have” feature rather than an important update.
They applied the same logic when they released the “Comfort 2” update for the original ZS EV.
If you wanted it, you had to pay for it ( unless your supplying dealer would do the work FOC ).
In this respect, it’s the same problem.
The update is available, of course it is because some people already have it implemented on their cars.
So, it’s purely down to the money.
The dealer does not want to give up any valuable workshop time for no financial gain.
Some dealerships only have one single EV master tech at their disposal.
Are they going to spare his time, unsure who is picking up the tab - NO !.

Although this is a common practice, I do feel that not being able to use a certain single type of D/C charger ( namely the non Tesla units ) could be regarded as an “Issue” in itself and therefore needs resolving.
It is perfectly clear to me here that MG has decided that they see the non Tesla charging update as a “Nice To Have” feature rather than an important update.
They applied the same logic when they released the “Comfort 2” update for the original ZS EV.
If you wanted it, you had to pay for it ( unless your supplying dealer would do the work FOC ).
In this respect, it’s the same problem.
The update is available, of course it is because some people already have it implemented on their cars.
So, it’s purely down to the money.
The dealer does not want to give up any valuable workshop time for no financial gain.
Some dealerships only have one single EV master tech at their disposal.
Are they going to spare his time, unsure who is picking up the tab - NO !.
The CCU update was done as it was a Recall issue list but only as I mentioned it. I probably wouldn’t have got the MCU update if my radio wasn’t playing up.

The CCU update was done as it was a Recall issue list but only as I mentioned it. I probably wouldn’t have got the MCU update if my radio wasn’t playing up.
As it’s a recall or service bulletin the dealer can claim the cost of the update from the manufacturer.
As the diagnostic computer was plugged in at the time, then checking for any radio updates would be easy.
Dealer tend to charge a flat rate for plugging in the diagnostic computer regardless.

with mine he had to manually search for my car on the SAIC site and download any updates to a USB to plug into the car. Seems updates don’t just show up without looking.

When my car went in for its annual service I asked about updating the sat nav and was told updating that was an extra -£120

So I asked on here and was able to do it for FREE

Does anyone know how long MG will produce updates once a new model mg4 is released?

Hello together,

the car will be in next month for a software update. Modern cars have lots of control units. So...I have the following questions:

Will all control units be updated during the process (if an update is available) or only those units who I reported issues with (can't charge at super charger etc.)? What was your experience when your local dealer updated your car?

I'm asking to avoid that the dealer will choose the short/fast route...

Bye.
My local MG dealer at MK has not completed any software updates that I have requested at its annual services. I have requested updates specifically for the infotainment and battery software, including the “comfort” upgrade. I was told on two occasions that connectivity to servers in China was poor - I have since decided that if it “ain’t broke don’t fix it!” and have forgone the comforts of being able to slow charge whilst sitting in the car or knowing the outside temperature! The infotainment that used to crash fairly frequently is also now behaving itself - who needs an updated roadmap etc? Overall still like the car but accept support is limited.

The 5 modules that need to be updated are VCU EVCC CCU BMS and BCM. I don’t know which relates to the Tesla incompatibility issue. I haven’t had any opportunity to see if my car will connect to Tesla EVSEs - I don’t think there are any nearby, and I manage with charging at home.
The CCS refers to the ‘plug’ type - the MG has CCS 2, which will work with Tesla, provided the necessary update has been carried out.
Is that for the 1st service, or does it apply to future services too?

with mine he had to manually search for my car on the SAIC site and download any updates to a USB to plug into the car. Seems updates don’t just show up without looking.
If only it was as simple as pressing a button that states :- “Update All”.
It can be a labour intensive process, interrogating different modules one by one and checking if any updates are available, can be a labour intensive process.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom