MG ZS EV Granny Charging at a Camp Site?

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm going camping in the spring and was wondering if you can use the granny charger to top up the MG ZS EV as the pitch has mains available. I'm getting a camping extension reel with RCD anyway and it also seems that mains usage is included in the pitch rent.
Anyone else had experience with this?

Check the camp sites T&C’s on charging EV’s first as they may well disallow it. This was the case where I stayed however they did have an on-site chargeable charger. I did have a try at charging anyway on the hookup and the rcd tripped almost immediately as they are a very low rate fuse.

Check the camp sites T&C’s on charging EV’s first as they may well disallow it. This was the case where I stayed however they did have an on-site chargeable charger. I did have a try at charging anyway on the hookup and the rcd tripped almost immediately as they are a very low rate fuse.
Thanks for the info. I suspected I wouldn't be able to although I can't find anything about it in T&Cs. Great you just tried and kind of proved that it's a bit too much for the power at campsites. Fortunately there are chargers on site somewhere and also a few rapid chargers not too far away.

Most hook-ups are rated at 16A so it wouldn't take much to trip it.
Some granny EVSE's can run at 8A or 6A so may take longer but wont generate so much heat in the plug top.

Has anybody stayed on a holiday camp where it is lodges or static caravan type things where you can park your car next to them. On these has anybody granny charged from the sockets in the lodge/ static caravan and if so were you specifically allowed to. I'd rather do that on holiday (and also at holiday cottages etc) than traipse around looking for a public chargers. I'd not expect it to be free and would pay. Its more for the convenience. Granny trickle charging everynight would likely cover your holiday requirements and maybe get a 100% charge to start back off home with.

Has anybody stayed on a holiday camp where it is lodges or static caravan type things where you can park your car next to them. On these has anybody granny charged from the sockets in the lodge/ static caravan and if so were you specifically allowed to. I'd rather do that on holiday (and also at holiday cottages etc) than traipse around looking for a public chargers. I'd not expect it to be free and would pay. Its more for the convenience. Granny trickle charging everynight would likely cover your holiday requirements and maybe get a 100% charge to start back off home with.
Just ask at reception when you book in.

I booked a summer residence my workplace owns, they had a bunch of rules you had to abide by.

Rule 1. NO charging your EV from the house mains.

I felt strongly that this was one of those rules that had been added, because someone had done this.

We paid a fixed amount and this was including water, heat and electricity, so even if i only do 6 amps, that would still be 1300 watt per hour, and if i plugged it in 24/7 for a week, it would be a couple hundred kilowatts and here, electricity is not cheap, by any means.

Has anybody stayed on a holiday camp where it is lodges or static caravan type things where you can park your car next to them. On these has anybody granny charged from the sockets in the lodge/ static caravan and if so were you specifically allowed to
Yes and Yes.
We have a family member who owns a new fairly large static van on a small site in Harlech, Wales.
When visiting, I have taken the Granny lead and charged just fine with our ZS EV Gen 1 on a couple of occasions now, from a three pin socket outlet in one of the bed rooms.
As it's a new plot and a new van, the electrics are also very new.
Before charging, I made sure no other power was being demanded.
I have had to dig around a bit, but here is a photo of power outlet for the van it looks like a 16 Amp breaker.
You can see the built in usage meter for billing purposes.

van IMG_9043.jpg

I guess it depends on the property or place. I was just trying to het a general feel of the land on what the state if play was on this. I'd likely book places with charging or that allowed charging (for a fee of course) in preference to those that did not. In areas with very poor public charging infrastructure I wouldn't consider a place that did not offer EV charging either via a charge point or a granny charger. Going forward I would expect holiday properties would start adding EV charging for a fee.

Yes and Yes.
We have a family member who owns a new fairly large static van on a small site in Harlech, Wales.
When visiting, I have taken the Granny lead and charged just fine with our ZS EV Gen 1 on a couple of occasions now, from a three pin socket outlet in one of the bed rooms.
As it's a new plot and a new van, the electrics are also very new.
Before charging, I made sure no other power was being demanded.
I have had to dig around a bit, but here is a photo of power outlet for the van it looks like a 16 Amp breaker.
You can see the built in usage meter for billing purposes.

View attachment 15048
Well if it is "Pay for your usage" then i would expect them to not complain, as long as the "grid" inside the campsite could handle it.

Normally, atleast here, the price for a kilowatt at a campsite is somewhat more expensive than the actual price of a kilowatt, so in this case, the camp site would actually make money off of you, charging your car.

On the ones that do "all inclusive", not so much

I guess it depends on the property or place. I was just trying to het a general feel of the land on what the state if play was on this. I'd likely book places with charging or that allowed charging (for a fee of course) in preference to those that did not. In areas with very poor public charging infrastructure I wouldn't consider a place that did not offer EV charging either via a charge point or a granny charger. Going forward I would expect holiday properties would start adding EV charging for a fee.

Campsites will have their own rules on this but the Camping and Caravanning Club have indicated that on their club sites 'trickle charging' of EV's is permitted but the granny charger must be plugged into a socket in the caravan, not directly into the supply bollard (as confirmed in letters section January 2023 magazine)

I’ve never had a problem charging my electric vehicles at campsites in 9 years of ev camping trips. If they have a poor electric hookup network then they will have problems with camper vans plugged in too, most sites are 16amp and granny charging pulls 8-10amps so less than a traditional camper van charging up it’s storage battery and cooking/aircon etc. I take an extension lead when staying at AirB&B to top up and never had any issues. I use an induction hob for cooking when camping and take a fan heater when colder, plug the car in overnight to top up if needed. For remote camping I will be using the MG4 to power my hob etc this year.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom