MG ZS EV Long Range Real World Efficiency

Flat top

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, just wondering if there any owners of the new ZS Long range that can share their real world efficiency & range please.

I still have one on order & am waiting as patiently as I can be :). It should have been with me in Jan, now it looks like its going to be June/July.

I am trying to work out whether it still worth having a BEV with all the recent energy price rises.

Hi Flat Top. I see you are on SpeakEV the same as me. :)

I'm waiting for my LR also. If you look on ev-database.uk, it shows a real world range of 230 miles mixed driving. Their ranges are regarded as the most realistic you can get. A Kona is stated as 245 miles and I get 350 in the summer and 270 in the winter. Extrapolating that, I expect to get over 300 in the summer and around 250 in the winter, which is more than adequate for my needs.

As for cost of charging, Andy at EVM did a good breakdown of costs of public chargers vs fossil fuels.

()

A rough back of the envelope calculation says if you get 4 miles per kWh, and say a kWh costs 30 pence, then it costs 7.5 pence to travel 1 mile.

If an ICE car does say 10 miles to the litre, and a litre costs 140 pence, then it costs 14 pence to travel 1 mile.

These figures are just guesses for illustration and the real costs will vary, however, BEV's will always be more efficient than an ICE. If you spend £10 on petrol, only £3 worth moves the car along. £7 is literally going up in smoke as waste heat.

Hi Flat Top. I see you are on SpeakEV the same as me. :)

I'm waiting for my LR also. If you look on ev-database.uk, it shows a real world range of 230 miles mixed driving. Their ranges are regarded as the most realistic you can get. A Kona is stated as 245 miles and I get 350 in the summer and 270 in the winter. Extrapolating that, I expect to get over 300 in the summer and around 250 in the winter, which is more than adequate for my needs.

As for cost of charging, Andy at EVM did a good breakdown of costs of public chargers vs fossil fuels.

()

A rough back of the envelope calculation says if you get 4 miles per kWh, and say a kWh costs 30 pence, then it costs 7.5 pence to travel 1 mile.

If an ICE car does say 10 miles to the litre, and a litre costs 140 pence, then it costs 14 pence to travel 1 mile.

These figures are just guesses for illustration and the real costs will vary, however, BEV's will always be more efficient than an ICE. If you spend £10 on petrol, only £3 worth moves the car along. £7 is literally going up in smoke as waste heat.

We sure are :). We like EV man, his reviews are great. He helped us decide to get solar PV & GivEnergy battery storage installed. I think that I sometimes over analyse stuff & worry too much lol. I am sure that the MG is going to be excellent & cheap to run. Hopefully once it arrives, the weather will be better & we will have some free solar to charge it too.

If you've got solar and a battery you'll have no problems getting cheap fuel. Last year I got over 3,000 miles for free off the solar. Once the home battery is full I divert to the car. Just this week I've got 31 miles for free. :)

My daily commute to work is about 6 miles one way. First 2 miles I get 2.7mile/kWh Then it starts to increase to 4.6- 5.2mis/kWh, On average I get 3.7mis/kWh mixed of urban and B road. I pay 15p/kWh that's 4p per miles? I am used to drive very light on pedal with gen3

Attachments

• mpg0.jpg
    mpg0.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 214
  • mpg2.jpg
    mpg2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 254
Hi all, just wondering if there any owners of the new ZS Long range that can share their real world efficiency & range please.

I still have one on order & am waiting as patiently as I can be :). It should have been with me in Jan, now it looks like its going to be June/July.

I am trying to work out whether it still worth having a BEV with all the recent energy price rises.
Just completed 2,000 miles in mine at an average of 3.2 m/Kw. A full charge is about 225 miles currently.

Just completed 2,000 miles in mine at an average of 3.2 m/Kw. A full charge is about 225 miles currently.
So the wltp 273 mile range was not achievable? I see battery gauge turn yellow once remaining range is less than 100 mile. At what percentage do we need to charge the car for longer journey? It looks like the real range is 200 miles before charging.

So the wltp 273 mile range was not achievable? I see battery gauge turn yellow once remaining range is less than 100 mile. At what percentage do we need to charge the car for longer journey? It looks like the real range is 200 miles before charging.
It’s what I was expecting due to the current temperatures - I’m sure it’ll pick up in the warmer months.
I don’t let it drop below 20%, so after 180 miles I’ll charge it.

My daily commute to work is about 6 miles one way. First 2 miles I get 2.7mile/kWh Then it starts to increase to 4.6- 5.2mis/kWh, On average I get 3.7mis/kWh mixed of urban and B road. I pay 15p/kWh that's 4p per miles? I am used to drive very light on pedal with gen3

They are some very strong numbers. My average over 1400 miles has been 2.7mpkwh. Although I'm now starting to get into the 3s on most journeys now.

Mainly motorway miles though

They are some very strong numbers. My average over 1400 miles has been 2.7mpkwh. Although I'm now starting to get into the 3s on most journeys now.

Mainly motorway miles though
We are also starting to see 3's with the slightly warmer weather (10c+). Saw 4.0m/kWh for the first time yesterday going across town. It's looking very promising for spring/summer.

Nothing has been done to the underside aero as far as I could see, therefore apart from the odd tweak here and there, it’s still a brick with a poor coefficient of drag like the ZS from the outset. There’s unlikely to be a significant difference, no Telsa continuous improvement here.

I think comparing the C.O.D. of a small SUV like the ZS EV with the likes of a low ride Tesla model 3 saloon is a bit harsh ?.
The ZS EV is going to be like a “Brick” as you call it, when comparing any SUV to a saloon car really.
I totally agree that the C.O.D. could be improved, but the new face lift model is purely that, it’s a face lift and not a completely new model.

Nothing has been done to the underside aero as far as I could see, therefore apart from the odd tweak here and there, it’s still a brick with a poor coefficient of drag like the ZS from the outset. There’s unlikely to be a significant difference, no Telsa continuous improvement here.
Haven't they closed off the motor bay now? That should help a little.

Does averaging 3.5m/KWh sound achievable?

My run to work is just over 40 miles with just under half being dual-carriageway/motorway. Rest is town and 40/50mph limit. Mostly flat too. I’m hoping that is a figure I can achieve?

Currently averaging 52mpg in my 1.6 diesel auto.

Does averaging 3.5m/KWh sound achievable?

My run to work is just over 40 miles with just under half being dual-carriageway/motorway. Rest is town and 40/50mph limit. Mostly flat too. I’m hoping that is a figure I can achieve?

Currently averaging 52mpg in my 1.6 diesel auto.

Potentially. You could probably hit that for about 70% of the year, maybe even better it. But for the other 30% it'll probably be less. Might average out though.

I've had my car since the 22nd of December and done about 1800 miles, now I do a good amount of motorway miles and my average has been 2.8 mlspkw/h, I think the average speed over that time has been 38mph. I'd say that's my worst case winter consumption.

Like I mentioned earlier though I'm now starting to see 3+ mlspkw/h regularly and twice this week have hit 3.7 on a longer run (Haydock to Fleetwood).

Bit of a long winded answer but yeah I reckon averaging 3.5 over the year is doable with a bit of care.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom