MG ZS EV LR Battery Balancing

Had my Mk2 for nearly 1.5 years now I charge to 80% most of the time and to 100% at around 1 to 2 months or if going on a long journey. I then run the car to lower % so as not to leave it at 100% for too long. Seems to work ok. It will depend on mileage done as to how often balancing is needed I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other way round, surely ...
For mass market electric vehicles, LFP hasn't been used until fairly recently. However, the chemistry itself has been around for a lot longer.

For early EVs, the higher energy density of NMC made it more attractive, especially as all batteries were way more expensive and way lower capacity per unit volume and weight back then, and manufacturers hadn't figured out the best ways to pack cells into battery modules.

For mass market electric vehicles, LFP hasn't been used until fairly recently. However, the chemistry itself has been around for a lot longer.

For early EVs, the higher energy density of NMC made it more attractive, especially as all batteries were way more expensive and way lower capacity per unit volume and weight back then, and manufacturers hadn't figured out the best ways to pack cells into battery modules.
Exactly, personally I have found the difference between my old gen 1 NMC & the new gen 2 LFP to be night and day. As yet though, most EV manufacturers still use NMC for long range & LFP for short range - the BYD blade battery being the only exception with LFP batteries on all of their EVs (the Seal long range is especially impressive in this regard: the 'Premium' offering 570km WLTP. It is the way the batteries are manufactured + chemistry, with 'blade' assembly providing greater space in assembly, higher density and lighter weight. Nice.

Back to the battery balancing thread & for the LFP in particular:
Am still uncertain as to exactly when & how this occurs. This morning after charging overnight, I came to find the car quite early in the morning displaying a green moving status light under the flap. Quite different to the usual blue moving light when charging. I can only assume the change to green might mean that it is balancing? Unsure as to exactly what the charging flap status light might mean in this regard ... the manual doesn't seem to mention this.

However, despite that green light indication, iSmart provided no information whatsoever other than that the car was fully charged. Ditto the status app on my phone for the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Mysterious. Still not entirely certain how and when the balancing occurs other than when I came back to the car a little later, the light had now gone out completely.

Given I have a limited amount of time to charge off-peak overnight, I am still trying to figure out how long it takes to fully charge and balance, depending on SOC to begin with. If the SOC is relatively low, it may be that the scheduled session will cut out before balancing is completed & that didn't tend to be a good thing on the gen 1 NMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom