MG ZS EV novice

grampsie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve ordered my car and hopefully will pick it up beginning of May. I have been reading what I can on charging but I am now getting a bit concerned. I am a pensioner and I don’t ordinarily do many miles maybe 100 miles a week and occasionally go out for the day but probably not more than 150 miles tops. I did initially think I would plug into an outdoor socket using the 3 pin lead and trickle charge when I thought it was necessary. From what I’ve been reading and what I’ve been told I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing. If anyone has got some advice I would be very grateful. There seems more to all this than I thought.

Hi, if your outside socket has been installed correctly possibly with Pen protection if you are on a tn-c-s supply thern you should be fine to use the granny EVSE.
Have you got a sparky that can check it out for you?

Last edited:
100 miles a week you'll be fine on the 3 pin plug. Just make sure your external socket is capable of the continuous throughout.

I do 70-100 miles a day, so the 3 pin just isn't enough.

Have you gone for the new face lift ZS EV Long Range or the Short Range model ?.
I am thinking a SR model given your usage ?.
For most higher usage EV owners, or folks with the larger packs, then a wall box is totally the right way to go !.
I never thought I would hear myself saying this .......... BUT !
( If you don't mind me saying so, but your usage is extremely low.)
So, what would I do in the same situation ? ......... Honestly, I would just stick with the "Granny" cable if I was you @grampsie .
( 🤫 ....... It's okay .......... nobody will ever see my comments written above anyway ) ;).
A weather proof IP65 rated 13 Amp three pin socket outlet installed on a outside wall, fairly close to where your car is parked, would suit you down to the ground !.
Just to give you an idea, something like this maybe suitable, but check with a spark first.
Ideally wired on it's own dedicated circuit from the C.U. ( Sorry, fuse box ) and your all sorted.
Charging will be slower on the "Granny" of course, but there you go.

Thank you everybody for your replies very helpful. I have actually ordered the long rang trophy model, probably over kill in view of my modest mileage. I have installed one of those weather proof boxes on the outside wall close to where I intend to park. I have taken the cable to the CU where I have spare capacity. I have the choice of a 16 or 32 circuit breaker. I will be getting an electrician to connect into the CU and decide what breaker to use. Also check out what I’ve done so far. I think I’ll start with the granny lead to see how it goes, and hopefully that will do the job.

You should only need to use the 16A breaker as its a 13A socket and the granny is about 10A.

The breaker choice will be driven by the size of cable you installed rather than the load.

I have actually ordered the long rang trophy model, probably over kill in view of my modest mileage.
I am a little surprised that you have gone for the LR model to be honest, giving your low usage rate.
Charging that large battery from a Granny lead is going to be slow, to say the least !.
Are you on a cheaper “Off - Peak” tariff by any chance ?.
If so, using a 7kw wall box is likely to take full advantage of that reduced tariff rate.
But your low usage case means this is unlikely ?.
You have already managed to run a suitable supply cable ( 2.5 T&E I guess ) back from the outside socket, to the CU.
Which can be half of the battle when installing a wall box in many cases.
You have spare “ways” in your CU so why not consider a 7kw wall box ???.
Then the outside socket can act as a “fall back”plan if the wall box develops a fault ?.
Always better to have a back up plan with an EV !.
Something to consider along the way ??.

I am a little surprised that you have gone for the LR model to be honest, giving your low usage rate.
Charging that large battery from a Granny lead is going to be slow, to say the least !.
Are you on a cheaper “Off - Peak” tariff by any chance ?.
If so, using a 7kw wall box is likely to take full advantage of that reduced tariff rate.
But your low usage case means this is unlikely ?.
You have already managed to run a suitable supply cable ( 2.5 T&E I guess ) back from the outside socket, to the CU.
Which can be half of the battle when installing a wall box in many cases.
You have spare “ways” in your CU so why not consider a 7kw wall box ???.
Then the outside socket can act as a “fall back”plan if the wall box develops a fault ?.
Always better to have a back up plan with an EV !.
Something to consider along the way ??.
A wall box is going to cost several hundred pounds to install over and above the cost of a waterproof outside 13A 3 pin arrangement plus the £150 for a Type 2 charging cable if you haven't squeezed one out of the dealer. A Granny charger which as has been said is only 10A will take 3 times as long to charge than 7 kW wall box i.e. about 11 to 12 hours charging to replenish 100 miles of range. On that basis, you don't need to be on an EV tariff and in the current climate where an EV Tariff will come with low-cost electricity for a limited number of hours a day (i.e. Octopus Go 4 hours) you would have to faff with charging over 3 nights in the week to recharge 100 miles and it will soon seem like too much bother. EV cheap rate tariffs usually come with higher daily standing charge and higher daytime rates and a5 20 to 25 kWh a week it really isn't worth it.

I, fortunately, was one of the early orders when the ZS launched and got a free PoPoint installed and I run washing machine and Dishwasher as well as EV 7,000 - 8,000 miles Charging a year on Octopus Go which represents 39% of all my consumption at 5p kWh and so it makes sense for me and I am having installed in 6 weeks time, a 9.6 kWh home battery to charge overnight and make full use of the rate plus a few Solar PV panels.

However, if you do think Wall Box and Octopus Go makes sense for you too along with time shifting some of your electrical use, feel free to use my referral code and we can share the £100 credit from Octopus go to:
share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

I am actually already with octopus and have been with them for some time on the cheapest traffic.I am not unduly concerned about the cost of charging in view of the low mileage. I have just checked my mileage from old MOT’s for the last 5 years and it averaged out at 6400 pa which equates to 123 miles a week, a bit more than I originally stated and I suppose it could go up a bit initially while the novelty of driving electric lasts. Could you guys please reassure me that using a granny charger will not do any damage to the battery. I was told by a friend that his friend! said continuously using a slow charge could be detremental to the battery, which started me worrying. What do you think? I’m not really worried about charging taking a long time.

Have fun in your ZS EV. Absolutely no issues with using the “granny charger”. In fact it far better to use that than sticking it on a rapid charger. Absolutely no damage to the battery will occur using the granny charger. Ignore anyone who says otherwise :)

You will still need to ensure that you occasionally charge it to the full 100% and leave it plugged in for a couple of hours to allow balancing of the cells in the battery pack. This is best done on the granny charger, but is also fine on any charger that doesn’t exceed 7kW charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom