MG ZS EV refreshed version reviews

common sense again from EVM. one of my 'go to' EV reviewers. Blunt and honest (his opinions though)
It's just a down to earth review, and I enjoy those! I'm not looking for anyone for agree with my opinion on the car but at least if it's a well rounded commentary, the negatives can be just as useful.

If I had a criticism it's that he does bang on about SUVs a bit too much in car reviews...they're not your chosen form factor, we get it. I'd find it just as tedious for someone to go on about how many boring saloons there are. Other than that, he's got a lot of informative videos on the channel which have been a help to me in terms of EV ownership in general.

It's just a down to earth review, and I enjoy those! I'm not looking for anyone for agree with my opinion on the car but at least if it's a well rounded commentary, the negatives can be just as useful.

If I had a criticism it's that he does bang on about SUVs a bit too much in car reviews...they're not your chosen form factor, we get it. I'd find it just as tedious for someone to go on about how many boring saloons there are. Other than that, he's got a lot of informative videos on the channel which have been a help to me in terms of EV ownership in general.
Thats why i wrote its his opinion and he is always open and honest about that so you can factor in any bias. i'm similar, not a fan of suv type vehicles but my other half has back issues so its easier for her to get in and out of than the leaf.

I tend to stick to EVM, planet auto, and of course James and Kate for real opinions. Don't see many more i would regularly rely on.

EVM and Ian Sampson were my first encounter with ev's on YT. EVM was Electric Leaf Man in those days. After watching these two it convinced me to make the leap to electric 5 years ago. It totally suited my usage to switch, easier to drive, more relaxing and cost savings on fuel. Managed to get one of Nissans early 2017 deals low deposit free podpoint etc. Just waiting on our next iteration, MGZS.

EVM and Ian Sampson were my first encounter with ev's on YT. EVM was Electric Leaf Man in those days. After watching these two it convinced me to make the leap to electric 5 years ago. It totally suited my usage to switch, easier to drive, more relaxing and cost savings on fuel. Managed to get one of Nissans early 2017 deals low deposit free podpoint etc. Just waiting on our next iteration, MGZS.
Ooooh forgot about ian. I watched his latest yesterday. Summer range test in the Honda e. I really, really want that car but its just too short in range over the winter months.

Last edited:
Second part from KC, much more of a test than a review, but good for us nerds.

Last edited:
If my old memory serves me correctly, I believe the front lights are totally LED.
The rears are LED - less the indicator lamps, which are still incandescent.
I can't remember where I read it now, but I do think the rear indicators are incandescent, & maybe the reverse lamps?

Edit: just seen the message prior

Just watched the video and it was pretty fair I would say.
He did pick up on something that I noticed on my test drive of the LR face lift model.
When pulling away from a standing start, you DO feel a delay between tapping the "GO" pedal and receiving the power.
Almost like there is small amount of"Play" in the pedal travel.
Of course, there is not - but that is what it feels like to me ?.
Not the same instant response that you get with the Gen 1 model, as soon as you tap the pedal.
This MAY catch a few Gen 1 model owners out.
Not sure if this is something that will become a REAL annoyance, or just needs getting use to.
Time will tell I guess.
Power feed is generally more linear somehow ?.
The HV battery voltage is lower that the Gen 1 model also, more in the MG5 voltage range at around 405 Volts I think ?.
I wonder if the SR ZS EV has the same delay in the "GO" pedal when pulling away ?.
Different motor set up on the SR model also.

I think most of the delay people percieve is in the auto hold to be honest. It all but dissapears with it off, although I tend to leave it on and use the first couple of mm of the pedal travel as the handbrake.

Sport mode really sharpens the response, provided you feed the power in rather than stamping on the throttle too, again I think some reviewers are really nailing it and it's overwhelming the traction control and eco tyres.

It's not going to beat the response of my mk1 Mx5 mind!

agreed, she also didn't mention the 360 camera! On my test drive, I didn't notice much lag on the touchscreen!
I think I watched just about every UK Review of the ZS and she's the only one to say about any lag. She's a good reviewer is Tish though. Did a great one on the MG5 LR.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom