MG ZS EV refreshed version reviews

Just finished watching this video, thanks !.
I just picked up, on the distance covered vs a full charge of the pack ( which I have had confirmed ).
Motorway driving in the worst weather conditions that you are likely to encounter.
200 miles covered on a full charge with the HVAC, plus with just about EVERYTHING running in the back ground.
Has to be a GREAT review based on real world, worse case situation and the car did hit 200 miles of range.
That is what I call a challenging test and reassuring to know that the car will hit 200 miles of range in the very worst conditions !.
They are very realistic. He doesn't really drive conservatively at all. watch their review of the HS PHEV to verify this lol. My key takeaway was that you can rely on the GOM when driving at 60-65 mph on the motorway. Also just stick to regen 3 and it seems to automatically adjust on the motorway.

They are very realistic. He doesn't really drive conservatively at all. watch their review of the HS PHEV to verify this lol. My key takeaway was that you can rely on the GOM when driving at 60-65 mph on the motorway. Also just stick to regen 3 and it seems to automatically adjust on the motorway.
Yeah - let's just say he has a spirited driving style !.
AKA - heavy right foot ;).
I have just seen another long range, 200 hundred mile road trip done in 10 mins due to time lapse.
Due to the speed, there is not much detail to the trip.
However, it was interesting to read the statement of the people who conducted the test.
I asked the question :- "What range they had remaining at the end of the trip".

I will post the text from the footer in the video.

"We drove the new MG ZS EV 200 miles from Cardiff to Llandudno on Wales's longest road, the A470. Recently voted one of the UK's best road trips, this is a time-lapse of our 5-hour journey as we drive coast to coast across a magnificent landscape. Completed on a single charge at a total cost of £3.30, the new MG ZS EV tackled the winding mountain passes of the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia admirably. At just 1.6p a mile and about 1.6p per stunning view, the new MG ZS EV is more than capable of those long road trips, even in freezing winter conditions".

My question :-
What ( if any ) was your remaining range when you got to Llandudno ?.

Reply received :-

"We arrived with 20 miles of range remaining, working out at an average of 3.2 miles per kWh. Considering it was near freezing outside and the wet and windy driving conditions for the second half of the drive, we were pleasantly surprised. On the trip back, the weather was warmer, and we achieved 3.4 miles per kWh. We might try the journey again in the summer to try and hit that 273 WLTP range !".

Well there you go !.
They arrived with 20 miles of range remaining, so that secondly confirms that 200+ miles is achievable in the new ZS EV face lift, in pretty much the worst weather conditions that you are likely to encounter.
Hope this helps folks.

Not quite a review (yet) but for anyone interested, Fully Charged Show's twitter a/c just posted a photo today of the Mk2 ZS EV with the caption:
"5pm TODAY (GMT) | MG ZS EV: The BEST VALUE #ElectricCar Just Got BETTER!"

One or two reviewers and/or forum members have mentioned a slight delay on the accelerator pedal, is it really any different to the Gen 1 ?
This would really put me off buying one. 😟

One or two reviewers and/or forum members have mentioned a slight delay on the accelerator pedal, is it really any different to the Gen 1 ?

I mentioned it in another thread. I would assume the gen 1 is the same. If you have only driven ICE cars or many other EVs and never a LEAF you will probably not notice. The BMW i3 I tested years ago had the same delay. I think manufacturers add it to try to replicate the feeling of driving a petrol car.

No auto hold, that was the first thing to get turned off. If the delay was that bad I would not have ordered one.

You can demonstrate it by tapping the steering wheel with your hand at the same time as flooring it. There will be a noticeable delay between the tap and the car launching.

Didn't notice a delay on my test drive, so that means either there isn't one or its the same as the Gen1 car!! :)

Not quite a review (yet) but for anyone interested, Fully Charged Show's twitter a/c just posted a photo today of the Mk2 ZS EV with the caption:
"5pm TODAY (GMT) | MG ZS EV: The BEST VALUE #ElectricCar Just Got BETTER!"

I'm expecting the silly music they usually play when reviewing any MG EV!

Incidentally, if there is anything anyone would like me to look at, let me know.

Somebody who was lucky enough to get the new face lift model for a whole weekend ( how do they do that ? ) has posted his opinions of the new face lift model over his current Gen1 ZS EV.
What are your views on these opinions posted below folks ?.
He mentions that the cabin heater is NOT as good on the face lift model ?.
This is of real genuine concern to me with my joint problems.
I can sort of relate to what he may have witnessed.
When I had my short test drive over a week ago, I noticed that the climate control was previously been set at 26 degrees, which I though was pretty high.
The car was in NORMAL mode so no reduction in heat due to using the eco mode facility.
I voice commended the climate down to 22 degrees I think ?.
We left expecting it to get very hot at that setting, but it did not ?.
So, there maybe something in what he observed ?.
@BruceT - If you get time, can you please check and compare the heat produced by the new model against the previous model ?.
The new model has been updated to dual climate control now and is therefore pumping heat to the rear compartment of the car as well, is this as a cost to providing more heat to the front seat passengers I wonder 🤷‍♂️ ?.
You would have to think the heater unit itself, is the same in both models ???????.
Here is his opinions of his weekend test drive, not that great sorry folks !.

Quote :-
"However other aspects of new model not so good, lane keeping=rubbish, efficiency=less,ride=firmer, heating=poorer, max power only 85% once charge level falls below 70%, Android auto still very poor, radio has no presets and comes on every time you boot up(software updates needed), I've had one for the weekend, and concluded that I like my 1st gen better (apart from battery,led h/lights,and charging flap). Disappointed.☹️ps.the dealer was clueless about the v2l function !".

The new model has been updated to dual climate control now and is therefore pumping heat to the rear compartment of the car as well, is this as a cost to providing more heat to the front seat passengers I wonder 🤷‍♂️ ?.
its still single zone, but has an automatic function now, but obviously has a different system to the original which was just manual. So maybe not as powerful?

"However other aspects of new model not so good, lane keeping=rubbish, efficiency=less,ride=firmer, heating=poorer, max power only 85% once charge level falls below 70%, Android auto still very poor, radio has no presets and comes on every time you boot up(software updates needed), I've had one for the weekend, and concluded that I like my 1st gen better (apart from battery,led h/lights,and charging flap). Disappointed.☹️ps.the dealer was clueless about the v2l function !".
To be fair the lane keeping the the old model isn't brilliant, neither is the efficiency. Sad about the android auto though, would have hoped it was better at connecting (didn't get a chance to try it on my test drive the other week), and the radio I didn't have turned on either so can't comment on that, but would be surprised if it didn't allow storing of presets! I don't remember it turning on when we started the car either, but that could be my memory failing again!! :O None of those things are deal breakers for me, still be upgrading in Jan, hopefully some can be fixed with an OTA update!

its still single zone, but has an automatic function now, but obviously has a different system to the original which was just manual. So maybe not as powerful?
Still single zone then !.
So you are unable to select each individual SIDE or front or back of the car then ?.
Is there a facility / setting to prevent either hot or cooled air, from entering the rear passenger space then ?.
Or, is it a matter of just reaching around and manually shutting of the centre vent slot, that is located in the back of the centre consul then ????.
Bit pants if so 🤷‍♂️.

Still single zone then !.
So you are unable to select each individual SIDE or front or back of the car then ?.
Is there a facility / setting to prevent either hot or cooled air, from entering the rear passenger space then ?.
Or, is it a matter of just reaching around and manually shutting of the centre vent slot, that is located in the back of the centre consul then ????.
Bit pants if so 🤷‍♂️.
I didnt go into that much detail! Theres only one temp setting,for the whole car. I didn't see any option to turn off the rear vents from the hvac screen, you can of course have hot or cold air, but not to individual areas as far as I noticed. It seems the same function as the old model except it now also has automatic climate control instead of manual control.

I would expect the rear vents to have a sliding cut off like the front centre ones.
If you could check that out for us @BruceT ? ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom