MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

Hasn't Ireland got any decent sized ports for a vehicle carrier? Or is it mainly horse & carts still🤣🤣🤣
I was previously working in Dublin installing some big heavy machines (full of sensitive electronics) that were manufactured in America. The first delivery was delivered via Southampton and then by Lorry / Ferry into Belfast and then driven down to Dublin.
Then Brexit happened and then the machines were delivered into Belgium then put onto a smaller ship to be delivered into Dublin.
Would be interesting to know how cars are delivered now?

Hi all new to the thread

I spoke to my dealer today down in the west Midlands and was straight on the phone to the owner who advised me the following

. Mg as of this week are going threw all the stock orders and these will be cancelled (I assume that its now only going to be built to order)

.Mine also shows as a tba ordered 14th April SR trophy silver but has advised that some cars are allready at the ports and mg teams are been sent over to fit the remaining parts and testing the cars I assume that's because they don't want half built cars sitting around perhaps I can only believe that it's minor things needing doing.

.My garage has confirmed they will build the cars to spec when sold to us as long as was ordered before July

. They are optimistic of a September delivery but can not promise this I was originally quoted 4-6 months

. The only hope is Is that they are finding more of the short range cars are coming threw and have only had 2 long range ones come in this year.

Fingers crossed that we will start to see a good few come by in the coming months

Don't shoot the messenger but that's what I've been advised and not a lot I can really do would like to see it this year due to lease ending and arranging all fitting for the charger and heavily investing in getting on the ev band wagon
If this is true that MG are currently sifting through all the orders and cancelling stock orders, it is great news that we may be getting our cars sooner. So long as they don’t start making stock cars without sunroofs before they have delivered all our cars on order.

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! So I’ve just had a call from my dealer who tells me he has good news and bad…….Firstly, the car is here for me and ready to be PDi’d.whoopeee! Secondly, the government grant of £2500 has been declined despite being ordered on 10/12/21 and all the paperwork has this date on it. He’s had to go through the appeals process now and that could take weeks or even months to come back!
So now, I’m in a situation where I know that my car is at the dealers, less than 8 miles away, but I can’t have it unless I pay them another £2500. Anyone had any success with these appeals? He states that there is no reason why it’s been declined but won’t register it until it resolved!!! 😡😡😡
Update to the above farce…….Dealer has now informed me that they are NOT prepared to bridge the gap of the 2.5k government grant that they seem to have messed up and that if I still want the car, I will have to pay it as they now will not “sit on the stock indefinitely until the appeal is processed”. If I’m not prepared to pay the extra 2.5k, they will simply refund the original £500 deposit to me and make the car available again for sale to anyone that wants it!
Absolutely fuming that this is their stance but at the end of the day, I know that they’ll just throw another few grand on the sticker price and flog it to anyone cos they can, and what can I do about it? Nothing!!
Long, tall & short of it is I’m allegedly picking it up tomorrow pm but another £2500 lighter in the wallet (unless by some miracle the appeal is successful with the government!). Never will I ever be using Chapel House dealership again, even for servicing!

Update to the above farce…….Dealer has now informed me that they are NOT prepared to bridge the gap of the 2.5k government grant that they seem to have messed up and that if I still want the car, I will have to pay it as they now will not “sit on the stock indefinitely until the appeal is processed”. If I’m not prepared to pay the extra 2.5k, they will simply refund the original £500 deposit to me and make the car available again for sale to anyone that wants it!
Absolutely fuming that this is their stance but at the end of the day, I know that they’ll just throw another few grand on the sticker price and flog it to anyone cos they can, and what can I do about it? Nothing!!
Long, tall & short of it is I’m allegedly picking it up tomorrow pm but another £2500 lighter in the wallet (unless by some miracle the appeal is successful with the government!). Never will I ever be using Chapel House dealership again, even for servicing!
Have you any feedback why it was declined? Understand this has happened to a number of people buying all different makes of cars?

With all the lack of info from lease companies I'm glad I'm buying mine.
Yes, but the flip side to that is at least there is some protection against the incompetence of the dealers that aren’t doing the grant paperwork properly.

I’m signed up to a monthly rate that was based on the grant reduced price, the dealer and the lease company have to fight that one out if that happens not me.

I also have a direct contact at the supplying dealer (for better or worse). Once the lease order is placed the dealer contacts you directly to confirm the order details. That’s what’s happened with all my past leases.

I would refer it to MG first and tell the dealer you are reporting their actions to the UK MG sales manager. His email address is available if you search.

I feel for you mate. Pick up the car, then contact trading standards they might be able to help especially if your original invoice shows :- minus £2500 electric vehicle government scheme clearly mentioned on it. GOOD LUCK

I would be tempted to pay the 2.5 on a credit card after v5 turns up then maybe do a charge back let them take me to court don't know if that works out cheaper than taking them it all depends on the paperwork I supposed

Small claims court or financial obudsmen perhaps? the dealership had a duty of care as they were the ones supposed to file that application on time and correctly on behalf of you

Have you any feedback why it was declined? Understand this has happened to a number of people buying all different makes of cars?
Apparently it was “insufficient documentation” but all the paperwork I’ve seen was correct and dated well before the 14/12 cutoff that was instigated by the government. 🙄😞

Yes, but the flip side to that is at least there is some protection against the incompetence of the dealers that aren’t doing the grant paperwork properly.

I’m signed up to a monthly rate that was based on the grant reduced price, the dealer and the lease company have to fight that one out if that happens not me.

I also have a direct contact at the supplying dealer (for better or worse). Once the lease order is placed the dealer contacts you directly to confirm the order details. That’s what’s happened with all my past leases.
I've never leased, but as I said earlier my invoice dated 8/12/21 clearly show - £2500 electric vehicle government scheme, so I have it in black and white.

To roadrunner, just thought as well as trading standards contact citizens advice as well they may be able to help you get the £2500 back from your DODGY DEALER 🙏🙏🙏

Quote from email to me from MG UK on 14th June : -

In addition, for MG orders that were placed in January the estimated lead time would be 8 months, but subject to change, which could be even sooner once the production has commenced.

The last ship that arrived left Shanghai on 1st June and arrived today. That is 4 weeks including stops.
To work out minimum delivery time allow 2 weeks to manufacture / deliver to port and load on ship.
Then 2 weeks to unload / ship to dealer / PDI.
We are therefore looking at 2 months minimum delivery time.
They need to start manufacture next week to hit 8 month. To hit 9 month delivery they need to start manufacture next month.
Confidence level- currently very low.
Especially when Cars2 at Barnsley are advertising 2 in stock for immediate delivery and a number of other dealers claiming to have stock orders coming soon.
The larger dealers have a lot more clout when it comes to getting cars from MG UK. Unfortunately I chose a small dealer close to home and they have no voice with MG to get a single LR car - even on the orders placed in November last year. Rant over - let’s see what happens?
Where are cars2 advertising they have in stock models please?

Hasn't Ireland got any decent sized ports for a vehicle carrier? Or is it mainly horse & carts still

I was previously working in Dublin installing some big heavy machines (full of sensitive electronics) that were manufactured in America. The first delivery was delivered via Southampton and then by Lorry / Ferry into Belfast and then driven down to Dublin.
Then Brexit happened and then the machines were delivered into Belgium then put onto a smaller ship to be delivered into Dublin.
Would be interesting to know how cars are delivered now?
Dublin is not big enough to take one of the lager vehicles transports that come in from China, most of time, the transports go to UK and then over to Zeebruggee after this and unload for the rest of Europe. If there are any cars for Ireland they are put on a smaller car transport and that comes from Europe into Dublin instead.

The issue is that the final invoice isn’t issued until the car arrives. All we have is an order form/contract with a breakdown of the estimated finances. The price for the car will be the book price, less grant, less deposit and any trade in. Leaving the amount to paid by finance or directly by the customer in cash. The trade in price could change and you’d expect to cover that additional cost, so the paperwork you have now isn’t set in stone re the final figure due there’s always small print to say it might change. If the grant is no longer valid then they can issue the final invoice for the car with this removed. They’re unlikely to be in breach of the contract as they’re not changing the contract price just the monies received as payment for the car. It’s not their role to supply the grant monies, rather they’re acting as an agent in requesting the grant. The contract will have the necessary protections for the dealer in the small print to say that they’re not responsible if the grant or car finance money doesn’t arrive.

The full application for car finance only takes place once they know the arrival is imminent. If the car finance is refused, then you wouldn’t expect the dealer to write it off and give you the car for the price less the finance you were supposed to get. The grant needs to be considered in the same light as it’s funds coming from a third party. All the dealer does is submit the information and the decision is then out of their hands. If those funds don’t arrive then the customer covers the shortfall to receive the goods.

I think the real argument to be had, is that the dealer has certain duties as an agent and if they’ve made an error then they’ve not satisfied those duties. However, getting the evidence to prove that is going to be very difficult unless you can speak to the provider of the grant and prove they’ve made an error I.e. paperwork submitted too late. Depending on the terms of the contract between the dealer and customer then it could be said that the contract contains adequate express provision for the agent relationship as those protections need to be there if there is an issue with the finance. Let’s face it the dealers going to cover themselves in the small print to make sure they’re not liable for errors with the finance application that they apply for on behalf of the customer, the same provisions would likely cover the grant application as well.

I’m not sure Trading Standards can help in this instance as it’s not really an illegal or unfair practice. Im presuming it’s an error if anything. Plus Trading Standards can’t get a customer a refund, which is what most people would want if they’ve paid £2,500 out. The best bet is a litigation solicitor, you might get 30 minutes free advice, but it will get expensive on the hourly rate after that.

Apparently it was “insufficient documentation” but all the paperwork I’ve seen was correct and dated well before the 14/12 cutoff that was instigated by the government. 🙄😞
I think I would've passed out due to rage - I'd be incandescent. Has the dealer given you a copy of their submissions, plus anything to confirm the grant was declined & when? Are they just saying they did everything correctly, but they missed something?

Unfortunately it seems a few people are going to get a shock when their car actually turns up, only to find they've got to pay extra - especially if their dealer hasn't been transparent. Not everyone will be able to find £1.5-2.5k more.

If you’re still willing (begrudgingly) to buy the car with the +£2.5k I’d pay it and note you’re unhappy.
Follow up with a letter outlining the issues, promises made and that they’ve reneged on it and effectively held you to ransom after an x month delay and send it to the head of the dealership (find the owner via companies house or the corporate website) and someone senior at MG. Enclose relevant docs from the original order.
After 2 weeks, if no reply, then send a small claims court.
I had a similar ish situation with a new build house purchase and followed those steps. Paid out within in 48h.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom