MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

I've completely stopped thinking about delivery, not like any real swift delivery in other options, if delivery doesn't happen by September, I'm going for a hyundai ioniq 5 instead though as you have to have a line in the sand .
I'm looking at the new kia Nero 3 as a possibility. I've just sent a email to find what lead times they are working to.

I've completely stopped thinking about delivery, not like any real swift delivery in other options, if delivery doesn't happen by September, I'm going for a hyundai ioniq 5 instead though as you have to have a line in the sand .
I paid my deposit and did the same. I still enjoy driving the Kona so waiting isn't a problem. It will arrive when it arrives. The phone call will be a nice surprise. :)

I paid my deposit and did the same. I still enjoy driving the Kona so waiting isn't a problem. It will arrive when it arrives. The phone call will be a nice surprise. :)
Well, spoke to a number of other dealers and they are all in the same boat. Whatever you do guys if you have ordered don't cancell. Kia have completely sold all their current stock of EVs and have non in production until July when their new facelift Niro is release. Vw are selling polo's without radios, Ford have downgraded the spec of their ranges and are currently looking at 36 weeks. BMW mini have stopped production and vw have temporarily closed 2 factories. Best policy then is to hang tight. China is probably best placed to deliver earlier than the European manufacturers by the look of it!

Well, spoke to a number of other dealers and they are all in the same boat. Whatever you do guys if you have ordered don't cancell. Kia have completely sold all their current stock of EVs and have non in production until July when their new facelift Niro is release. Vw are selling polo's without radios, Ford have downgraded the spec of their ranges and are currently looking at 36 weeks. BMW mini have stopped production and vw have temporarily closed 2 factories. Best policy then is to hang tight. China is probably best placed to deliver earlier than the European manufacturers by the look of it!
Haven't Hyundai also downgraded the spec of the Ionic 5 as well? I think I saw a video about it somewhere, but could be misremembering.

Why would anyone want a Polo without a Radio

Agree with the above. I'm extremely lucky to have a Leaf that's only a couple of years old (so no MOTs and expensive fuel). Genuinely feel for people who have to deal with fuel prices, MOTs or cars needing to go back before their MG arrives though - I hope you can find a suitable solution whilst waiting.

On a different note, driving in Gloucester on Saturday afternoon, I saw my first Battersea Blue ZS EV - it had a custom number plate, so if that person is on here, that's a mighty fine car you've got there!! The dealership only had a red one when I placed the order (which was also nice), so I hadn't actually seen a blue one until then.

Even more pleased with my choice now!

I saw my first face lifted version in the wild today, a red taxi. Surprising that this was the first time given that I am in central London 3 times a week.

Why would anyone want a Polo without a Radio
God !.
It like going back to the 70’s when cars came without radio’s !.
A lot of cars don’t have the ability to remove the head unit because the majority of the car is controlled by the info unit !.
The Polo is pretty basic in that respect, so it can function without the radio 📻 !.
Stripping back features from the car, to get it shipped is pretty desperate action.
It depends on what level to strip it back too I guess ?.
Customers chose that model, over a lower spec model, did so based on the more features the high spec model offered.
Waiting a long time for the car, to then find it is missing some of the key features, is going to be very disappointing !.

Here's a question then. Would you accept a car with stripped back features to get it on the road, if MG offered to install the features at a later date, say at the first service?
No, I'd rather wait for a complete car.

Here's a question then. Would you accept a car with stripped back features to get it on the road, if MG offered to install the features at a later date, say at the first service?
I think it could be a big problem trying to retro fit certain features after the car had been shipped.
The labour costs alone could be expensive.
My guess would be that they would offer a discount on the price of the car for the missing features.
There is a fine line between receiving discount off the car and getting the features you really wanted !.
No two customers will be same, what is vital for one customer, will not bother the next ?.
Interesting to see how these cars will be affected by future values at the time of sale ?.
Audi had made the decision to ship some models with only one key 🔑.
This can be supplied at a later date, but other items are more difficult or almost impossible to retro refit.
If you remember, the subject of could the standard Trophy be upgraded to a Trophy I-Connect at a letter date ?.
There was a resounding NO ! - from Miles on this subject !.
The Trophy is shipped less the necessary modules to allow this to happen on a retro refit situation.
The cost is the driving factor in many cases here.

Must be more than DAB chips though as surely all the models have DAB radio? If the Connect is the only affected model then it has to be the mobile data connection.

There's also the fact that the car is not standard without the missing features and this may affect the insurance.
I have been thinking, what features COULD they remove, that would not compromise the operation / safety features of the car ?.
It’s one thing to ship a VW Polo without its radio, but it gets difficult stripping back features that still allows the car to function correctly surely ?.
Maybe you could down grade from the Pro-Pilot function, but that would surely affect the NCAP rating ?.
I assume that many items are controlled by the body control module, but no doubt the car has other modules that requires chips to make them function.
What could be target features to be omitted.
Sat Nav facility maybe ?????.
Automatic head lights and wipers ????.
Bind spot monitoring and cross traffic alert.
Electric retracting door mirrors and camera facilities ???.
Pure guess work of course.
Anything that needs a module to command the function is fair game I guess.
There is a massive out break of C19 in the area right now, that could have a knock on affect on deliveries also.

Not so much safety, more specification, different spec could mean different payout.
I remember in the 70s being told off by a copper because I had a "Sport" badge on the back of my Mk 2 Cortina Super, he said the insurance companies might take it as a different spec or even a different car.

Must be more than DAB chips though as surely all the models have DAB radio? If the Connect is the only affected model then it has to be the mobile data connection.
They all have mobile data connection the connect will need extra chips for voice recognition and a few extra modules

My guess would be that it’s the extra communication modules required for the voice command etc that is the issue with the I-Connect.
Miles did indicate that this would likely be the problem and that is why I-Connect models are held up.
It makes perfect sense really.
The standard Trophy and the Trophy I-Connect share many features.
Some standard Trophy models are getting through slowly, but Trophy I- Connects have stalled badly.
This indicates to me that it is communication devices / modules are indeed the cause of the delay.
I have no doubt in my mind, that a lot of these cars are already built, but are still awaiting electronic items before they can be shipped.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom