MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

I ordered on 27th September and got told an end of December date for delivery to me.
In the 2 weeks after the FullyCharged Show MG sold record numbers of cars. My dealer said they were booking test drives in 6 weeks away and had queues outside of people wanting to order MGs without a test drive. I had to order by email to get one or wait 6 weeks for an appointment!

Woohoo! At last the wait is nearly over. Make sure you post a photo.
Will do. It feels like an eternity but in reality it's been 2 and a half months.

Not sure why the wait for this one has been so hard. Usually I can just buy and forget till the date creeps up

I've clearly been posting way too much about it

Here it is. Finally picked it up today. And much like a certain Irish taxi driver.... I'm loving it
PXL_20211111_113814987.MP-01.jpeg

Ordered a MG5 7 weeks ago. Got told today that it hasn’t even been allocated a build slot at the factory yet.
I don't think they are doing the build slot thing, I think they are doing batch building. I might be very wrong. If the dealers don't know the VIN numbers before the cars get in-country it must be batch building, right?

In the email from the dealer he said he was going to check regularly for me so Ito see what happens in the next few weeks. At the end of the day if i want the car I’ll have to wait till one becomes available I guess.

I ordered my MG5 on 10th September, it was on a ship within a few weeks and arrived in the UK on 3rd November as part of an armada or 3 ship loads of MGs!

What seems to have happened is that sales have picked up so fast that all slack in the system has gone, cars at dealers vanished in September, then those on ships not already ordered, then those parked up in China and now they are eating into the production runs!

My MG dealer told me that after the Fully Charged show sales increased exponentially to a point they cannot even see all the people who want to buy and just advise order by email!

I don't think they are doing the build slot thing, I think they are doing batch building. I might be very wrong. If the dealers don't know the VIN numbers before the cars get in-country it must be batch building, right?
What information do you have to suggest that? I am just going on what the dealer said do you know something different?

Yes a batch as in a ship load arrives!

What information do you have to suggest that? I am just going on what the dealer said do you know something different?
It's only what I have learned over the years. Mostly you can tell if they are individually built because when you get a build slot you can get a chassis number then. normally car manufacturers who have many many options use slot builds, I.e BMW, Mercedes. So your car, once the chassis is in one piece is given a VIN number and all your options are put on then. MG really don't have many options SE, Trophy and Connect. then White, silver black blue and red. So the batches are maybe 200-300 of each. How many different options are there for the MG5? how many colours? It's easier and cheaper not to trace the car until it's on the ship. with the ZS there are only 15 different options. BMW- 20 different colours, 5-6 different engines, 4-5 trim levels, then with or without a list of extras a mile long. a BMW 5 series can literally have thousands of cars all different.
Your dealer may be referring to the build slot for your batch, but I very much doubt if he would have that information.
Now my caveat........ I might be totally wrong.
Ask Miles at Chorley, he might be able to confirm or deny.

Miles can feel free to correct me, but from what he's told me, dealers get an estimated date when they order for a customer, then pretty much have no idea about when they'll actually get it till a boat arrives.

I think it's first come first served pretty much.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom