MG ZS EV Shipping Updates

So just had a call from MG DARLINGTON telling us our car ordered DECEMBER has been cancelled by MG and our deposit will be returned. I am 🤬 boiling.
Send complaint email to MG UK. [email protected]
Alternatively call them 020 3917 5821
If this is the way forwards a lot of us will not be happy. Would be good to understand the reason why it was cancelled.

You should asked them for full details. Something not right.
Totally lost for words, it's not a connect, so that's not going to be the excuse haven't seen anyone else say theirs has been cancelled by anyone but themselves. Maybe Sam has any ideas because right now it doesn't make any sense when people are picking them up straight away. No alternative offered except an ice ZS

So just had a call from MG DARLINGTON telling us our car ordered DECEMBER has been cancelled by MG and our deposit will be returned. I am 🤬 boiling.
I had a call from Darlington also cancelling the order and my sisters has been cancelled too. Not sure I believe what they were saying but what can you do, very disappointing especially as we have already waiting since December

So it’s begun.

There’s no real repercussions if they cancel the order on their end. Sure you can try to sue them for loss of bargains but that’s another headache all together.

I had a call from Darlington also cancelling the order and my sisters has been cancelled too. Not sure I believe what they were saying but what can you do, very disappointing especially as we have already waiting since December
Was concinced the car they had in the compound was yours. Noticed they've also put the prices up on the ones they can't sell because MG aren't making them anymore.

Send complaint email to MG UK. [email protected]
Alternatively call them 020 3917 5821
If this is the way forwards a lot of us will not be happy. Would be good to understand the reason why it was cancelled.
Prepare for the incoming cut and paste response.

It's pretty much just a bot operating the email account.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the lease orders now that the cancellations have started happening...

Really sorry to hear your news - definitely send email / call MG UK directly to find out exactly why it has been cancelled.
Had a catch up with my dealer today - no mention of cancelled orders. He was in discussion yesterday with the Area managers boss who asked for him to send an email with all outstanding orders for him to chase.

That’s not good enough, they cant cancel, if the dealership cant make good on your order you should take it up with MG UK and see if it can be transferred to another dealership, this is unacceptable after such a long wait, with prices soaring and the loss of your grant probably..this practice should not be allowed, the only way of handling this shambles situation is through patience, add uncertainty of whether at any moment your order may get cancelled to the mix and it is just going to make this wait impossible!! My anxiety is already off the roof! Im soooo angered for you!! Please fight this.

That’s not good enough, they cant cancel, if the dealership cant make good on your order you should take it up with MG UK and see if it can be transferred to another dealership, this is unacceptable after such a long wait, with prices soaring and the loss of your grant probably..this practice should not be allowed, the only way of handling this shambles situation is through patience, add uncertainty of whether at any moment your order may get cancelled to the mix and it is just going to make this wait impossible!! My anxiety is already off the roof! Im soooo angered for you!! Please fight this.
I'm pretty sure in the terms they can cancel and refund the deposit.

Omg as said is this what's to come 😡

Sorry to hear that, I'd be furious as well - I doubt there is much you can do though, beyond throwing some toys out the pram to make your self feel better (which I'm 100% not above doing myself !)

Without wanting to take away from the pain you're feeling... at least MG are consistent and cancel the orders totally out of sync as well as delivering them totally out of sync!

Jokes aside, it does kind of reinforce my post below... I'll start having a proper look around for a petrol/diesel, all the other EV's are either too small or too expensive for me, ZS LR was the only one that made sense for my use case

Need to find a lovely V8 to complement my existing straight 6... must be some bargains going with the fuel prices at the moment!

Phoned my dealer up earlier (they never reply to emails), admittedly only placed on 1st May so barely waited at all compared to some of you, however they've no date, having a guess at the end of the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up cancelling a large number of orders, with their costs increasing and GBP plummeting, if they don't fulfil quickly they may end up unprofitable

Can see me buying a second hand petrol and ignoring the idea of an EV altogether - not because I've waited ages, but because I'm becoming unconvinced they'll ever be fulfilled (and I'd be really annoyed to wait for ages for nothing!)

BMW also cancelled current eMini orders and people also reported that Niro 4 prefacelift orders got cancelled too. In both case there were no concessions to get further up in the preorder queue for the face lift models.

In normal time we can vote with our wallet. Unfortunately normal time this is not.

I wonder if fleet and leasing company orders will be spared as they have more power to block Mg from cancelling. But imo personal orders are 100% at risk.

One thing to confirm though is whether it’s MG who cancelled the order.

I know MG UK have already proven themselves shifty, but cancelling orders just like that simply doesn't make any sense. What possible reason eh?

I suspect a big part will be that our currency is devaluing incredibly quickly, MG I assume use CNY, what we've agreed to pay them has dropped near on 10% since the time they likely set the price. So they're going to 'get' 10% less money from us once exchanged back to CNY.

In addition, their costs have gone up, both in components they buy, their own energy costs, shipping costs and likely labour costs too. If they have tonnes of orders... where would you rather sell, where you can get the most money obviously.

Wouldn't be surprised if some multi-marque dealers are also struggling or even going under / focusing on the brands they can get throughput with.

Not justifying the actions, but there are certainly numerous potential reasons to answer the 'why' question

Edit - Currency could be a non-issue, if they pay for hedging with another firm... if they do or not who knows (or the cost to maintain it could be becoming too expensive due to them breaching the time to supply the goods etc)

Prepare for the incoming cut and paste response.

It's pretty much just a bot operating the email account.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the lease orders now that the cancellations have started happening...
Last update I had with my leasing lot was October, but waiting on a reply to my last chase email sent at the end of last week.

If they’re cancelling but trying to work out a way to tell me, angry doesn’t quite cover it.

Edit- with my conspiracy hat on, I wouldn’t put it past a dealer (or frankly, MG UK) cancelling an order with a private customer, then reselling the allocation at a higher price. Absolutely rancid practice, but there’s probably a line in T&Cs stating they can cancel at any time.

As others have mentioned, this may not apply to fleet or lease firms due to their bigger clout.

Last edited:
I suspect a big part will be that our currency is devaluing incredibly quickly, MG I assume use CNY, what we've agreed to pay them has dropped near on 10% since the time they likely set the price. So they're going to 'get' 10% less money from us once exchanged back to CNY.

In addition, their costs have gone up, both in components they buy, their own energy costs, shipping costs and likely labour costs too. If they have tonnes of orders... where would you rather sell, where you can get the most money obviously.

Wouldn't be surprised if some multi-marque dealers are also struggling or even going under / focusing on the brands they can get throughput with.

Not justifying the actions, but there are certainly numerous potential reasons to answer the 'why' question

Edit - Currency could be a non-issue, if they pay for hedging with another firm... if they do or not who knows (or the cost to maintain it could be becoming too expensive due to them breaching the time to supply the goods etc)
I think your edit hit the nail on the head. I used to work for a big FTSE 100 company and when we won overseas contracts we would always pay a percentage to buy forward the currency. A company as big as SAIC would be well versed in this and not get caught short by currency changes. Since I ordered in January CNY has decreased by 6% to the £.

If you think of it like a new games console being released. People at various shops all over the country put in pre orders, release date comes around and shops get individual allocation and start working through their pre order list. Now someone in one shop might have pre ordered a month before someone in the shop next door who got theirs.

MG aren’t sitting with a list of all uk orders and allocating out by date order list. Cars are rocking up at Portbury and some poor sod has to try to spread out what stock they have randomly got so that there is a relatively even cover across the uk, otherwise, a single dealer in one town could snaffle a boat load if they got their orders in ‘first’ and the rest of the country would be on this forum asking why MG are only supplying 1 dealer! Just got to wait……
OK but I don't want a b..... games console

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom