MG ZS EV USB Music Folders

DrTom

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Me again !!

Looked in the infotainment system manual and searched on here to no avail.

Stuck a usb stick in the new car and it scanned all the file on there but shows the tracks in alphabetical order but I can't seem to get it to show the folders.

Any ideas peoples??

Me again !!

Looked in the infotainment system manual and searched on here to no avail.

Stuck a usb stick in the new car and it scanned all the file on there but shows the tracks in alphabetical order but I can't seem to get it to show the folders.

Any ideas peoples??
It probably doesn't support displaying in folders... if all the music that is on the stick and inside the various folders is there then I would say that you are out of luck.

Well if that is the case, it is a step backwords

The Gen1 ZS EV showed a folder view.

In fact it is the same USB stick that I used in my Gen 1 before I sold it.

Well if that is the case, it is a step backwords

The Gen1 ZS EV showed a folder view.

In fact it is the same USB stick that I used in my Gen 1 before I sold it.
Might be worth asking your dealer as I am only speculating based on experience with previous cars, I don't yet have my ZS EV

Most music players will use the metadata in the music files to sort/display tracks. If your files don't have the required metadata you can add it with another program (e.g. id3tag).
Some of the older players used to use folders to group tracks.

Most music players will use the metadata in the music files to sort/display tracks. If your files don't have the required metadata you can add it with another program (e.g. id3tag).
Some of the older players used to use folders to group tracks.
This is ok for the odd track that is missing, but have you ever tried to retrospectively add all the metadata to an entire music library?

Yes I have! It's a royal pain. MP3Tag can auto add tags from the folder names - this helps a lot.
Best to try a few files first and see if that fixes your issue.

Just noticed that the picture of USB music in the ZS EV manual shows folders on the left side.

Mine only shows files, even after re-tagging a couple of artists/albums.

Some kind guru will tell ne where I am going wrong, I hope.

Just noticed that the picture of USB music in the ZS EV manual shows folders on the left side.

Mine only shows files, even after re-tagging a couple of artists/albums.

Some kind guru will tell ne where I am going wrong, I hope.
Maybe your infotainment needs an update, or a hard reboot...

I have tried a hard reboot via holding the physical home button down 0 no change.
I have also reported it to my supplying dealer to check if there are any update or fixes.

Same here with the USB problem. Absolutely a backwards step, and pretty useless as a feature now.
Im annoyed as I always had a USB with all my albums and artists on it. I have a well curated collection with tidy metadata. I plugged my USB into the MG for the first time last week only to find 30 odd thousand songs listed A-Z! I have used the same USB with multiple cars including those by Ford, Toyota, BMW and Audi. All worked correctly and categorised by Artist/ Album or song.
Im sure this would be a painless upgrade for MG. It sounds like an oversight rather than an omission, as its not a feature that would cost anything.

I can't say it is a feature I will ever use given that the vehicle has Android Auto and Apple Carplay
Android auto or Apple CarPlay cannot play your personal collection.The nearest would be Spotify which would not carry all of the music I have, nor play when there is no signal. And its subscription based.

You can use the music player on your phone you don't have to use a subscription service?
Not as convenient as having it permanently connected. Also I presume I would have to reach down and access the phone to make changes unless there is a dedicated music player that is on the Android Auto desktop for the infotainment screen. My wife and I both used the USB in the past, I would prefer to access via the cars screen. Again, it looks like an oversight and an easy fix if MG actually notice it or have their attention brought to it.

There is a app called poweramp in the play store for android auto you can control it all from car screen here is a vid look at about 1m15sec for a idea

Last edited:
I raised this issue a while ago after my test drive but got no responses so assumed there must be a way and we don’t know as not many people have their cars yet. Looks like MG has definitely taken a step backwards missing this fairly basic feature. MG need to get an software update soon to address this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom