• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV What range are you getting from a full charge

22ssingh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to know what range everyone here is getting from a full charge, I've only fully charged mine twice so far and I got 120 miles the 1st time with 15 miles left on the range and 114 miles the 2nd time with 35 miles left, both were a mix of motorway and local miles

Similar - although I try to stop charging at 80% or so. Shame it doesn't (yet) talk to my Zappi app so I can check charge status remotely.

Similar - although I try to stop charging at 80% or so. Shame it doesn't (yet) talk to my Zappi app so I can check charge status remotely.

Any benefit from stopping charge at 80%? I dont think that would for me as I have a 36 mile each way commute

It supposedly slows battery degradation in Lithium Ion batteries but by how much is open to debate. My phone battery manager app says a charge from 15% to 80% is the equivalent of 1/3 of a full charge. Similarly limiting the number of fast (50kW) charges. My dealer said I should do a slow (3 pin 13A) charge at least once a month to help with this but a trickle charge from my PV should take care of this once the software update allows this.

... and 80% gives me 100 or so miles of range so should do your round trip commute.

That's good to know. The 3 pin charger would be okay if it didn't take 20 hours to fully charge the car

Should take around 15 hrs from zero to 100% so maybe 12 hrs from 20% or less again if just charging to 80%. Still slow but not quite so bad and doable evening and overnight unless you do long shifts!

Mines taking around 20 hours for a full charge from almost 0%

What does yours do when fully charged btw? Mine stops charging and I assume its fully charged but I've never actually read the screen say 100% battery

Getting 150 miles from home charging in 6 hours on 7kwh which on Eco means 170.
With heater on low setting we got a 100 mile trip at 62 mph which is not bad for the winter time period.
A full charge is 163 miles.

With heater on low setting we got a 100 mile trip at 62 mph which is not bad for the winter time period.
Yeah thats why I can't wait until rolec fit the 7kw charger at home, should be done 2nd week of Jan they reckon

Hi, I’ve had my new MG ZS EV for just over a month and have yet to see the range at 163 miles. The most I’ve seen it is 135 miles which was done on a 22kwh charger. I’ve tried using the granny style charger to see if it will top the remaining battery up but it doesn’t do anything to the range. I’m still waiting on my home charger being installed but would appreciate any advice regarding the charging process or if there’s something I should do? Thanks Chris

Hi, I’ve had my new MG ZS EV for just over a month and have yet to see the range at 163 miles. The most I’ve seen it is 135 miles which was done on a 22kwh charger. I’ve tried using the granny style charger to see if it will top the remaining battery up but it doesn’t do anything to the range. I’m still waiting on my home charger being installed but would appreciate any advice regarding the charging process or if there’s something I should do? Thanks Chris
It’s down to the temperature that affects all EV’s as the best battery operating temperature is about 20 degrees, cold temperatures will knock it out of any EV. Getting about 135 in this temperatures is about right, but you’ll see the range increase as it gets warmer. I have exceeded 173 on a run in the summer and about 215 during the summer in town.

I would only charge to 100% if I really needed max range, otherwise stopping at around 80% or 35kWh. This gives me around 100 miles in winter or 130 in summer but depends on conditions, speed and driving style, speed being the range-killer for a high-drag SUV-style vehicle. Good battery management also suggests that every few weeks you should charge to max with the granny but make sure you leave time (another 2-3 hrs on top of a slow charge) for the cell balancing to happen and don't leave it standing for more than a day or two at 100%. Not sure what home charger you are getting but the Zappi has a slow charge mode at 1.3kW although balancing only draws 300W or so.

I’m getting 150 without any heating on (normal) and 136 as soon as it’s turned on at 100%. I’m currently averaging around 3.5 miles per kWh which would give me a range 149 miles (3.5*42.5) so that is consistent with the GOM. Mind you my town isn’t that big and I’ve had few excuses to go beyond it’s bounds given the current restrictions

Hi,

Just to clear up something that took me a while to find out. I presume the 22kwh charger you mention was a public charger and classed as AC charging (never came across a 22kwh public charger that was DC) if so you are WASTING your time using it as the MG ZS will ONLY take a maximum of 7kwh when charging from a AC Charger no matter what output it promises. Unless you have time to kill on a long trip the only viable charging is DC using the CCS. Another point is that there is NOTHING wrong with charging to 100% on Rapid DC charger except that once the battery gets to 80% the remaining 20% will be very slow (maximum of about 3Kwh due BMS throttling the charge rate). I always charge to 100% on DC charging unless I had time issues or more importantly if someone else was waiting to charge.

All the best

Frank

PS The Granny Charger is the last option for charging (too slow and also places a huge strain on the plug socket which some older domestic installations will have trouble coping with, feel the plug socket next time you use it, lot of heat build is possible).

PPS The ONLY safe and reliable home charging is using a recognised Home Charger, and let the BMS do it's job with Regards to equalization charging. You do not need to have a charging regime, the BMS looks after the main battery, just plug it in EVERY time. It is very satisfying starting Every morning with a full tank for those unexpected journeys.

Last edited:
Is there any idea which is better for medium term (next few months) range with the BMS range bug... normally charging to 100% or less than that, say 80%.

Obviously for a long trip would charge to higher amount.

I had my MGZSEV in December had trouble with charging from day one it took 7weeks to get mg home charger fitted. When I charge the highest I’ve got is 152 miles on the dash but car will only do 80 miles with a quarter battery left saying 48miles. MG did and update and on the first charge it got to 177 miles on dash and the battery lasted far longer than before. After the second charge we were back to 142 miles fully charged and loss of miles on journey. Anyone had this issue

I had my MGZSEV in December had trouble with charging from day one it took 7weeks to get mg home charger fitted. When I charge the highest I’ve got is 152 miles on the dash but car will only do 80 miles with a quarter battery left saying 48miles. MG did and update and on the first charge it got to 177 miles on dash and the battery lasted far longer than before. After the second charge we were back to 142 miles fully charged and loss of miles on journey. Anyone had this issue
There's tons on here about it, have a search/read.

Reset the accumulated trip otherwise the range you get displayed is specific to your driving and not comparable to anyone else.
Fully charged, voltage should be either about 450 or 455 BMS version dependant. Range should show about 163miles in Normal mode 3 regen.

I’m only getting about 80 miles from fully charged and there is only 2 bars let and about 48 miles surely this isn’t right

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom