MG ZS missing V2L function

I'm in Cyprus about to take delivery of a UK spec MG ZS EV Trophy LR. An unregistered June 2022 build car with sunroof was readied for us. Then we were told a Feb 2023 build car with sunroof was available for us, so we switched and were ready to register that one. Yesterday I saw this thread and realised that the 2023 model may not have V2L capability. I took a previously bought V2L (470 ohm resister) adapter to the dealer and tried it on both cars. It did not work with the 2023 model, but was fine with the 2022 model. We have now reverted to registering the 2022 model and will collect on Monday.
Note: MG have changed their website and ZS brochure. They have removed any mention of V2L for the ZS!
I think the ZS LR is ideal for Cyprus, it has brilliant ground clearance (Ideal for the Akamas). Hope you have got the solar panels sorted, I doubt you would ever need to charge via the grid. You might want to look at getting some seat covers for the summer sun, the leatherete seats get pretty toasty, even in the UK sun.

I think the ZS LR is ideal for Cyprus, it has brilliant ground clearance (Ideal for the Akamas). Hope you have got the solar panels sorted, I doubt you would ever need to charge via the grid. You might want to look at getting some seat covers for the summer sun, the leatherete seats get pretty toasty, even in the UK sun.
Am sure you are aware but the sunroof was dropped as an option a while back. So its interesting to note that since launch, the car has lost or never had:

1. Sunroof
2. V2L
3. OTA - This has never really happened?
4. LKAS - this is practically unusable for me compared to my old Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh

Some of the features from the “Health Check Report” on the App were removed also, I seem to remember.
When it was first released, you could check the status of the electric windows from the App.
It became unreliable, so they removed it !.
Not a huge problem, but one to include on the list 🤣.
The big one for me, was the decision to remove the sun roof from the higher spec models and make another increase to the list price of the car at the same time.
Maybe this was the real reason why they removed it ?.
With more EV competition arriving in that sector, the ZS EV was struggling to retain the good value for money status, it once dominated when first released, way back in 2019.
The grants and incentives had all disappeared by this point and pulling out the Sky roof was a way to keep the price down ( ish ).
I remember that MG purposely held back on releasing the price of the Gen 2 until after the budget at the time.
No grants were affected in the budget and the car went on sale.
Two weeks after the COP summit in Scotland, the government announced that the grants would be removed overnight and this did no favours for MG and its customers for the higher spec ZS EV model.
It increased the price of the car by almost £1,500 and it could be suggested that it’s about the same price as a full Sky roof would cost as an extra ???.
Are you following my train of thought here folks !.

No, still waiting for part and for it to be booked in so I'd rather folks didn't start bothering them as really this is a matter for the dealer you purchased the car from. They will have had a notification from MG, simple as that. In any case, the details your dealer should need are on this thread so I don't think its fair that competent dealers should be having to carry the can for less competent ones. There is nothing more that my dealer can tell you that is not already on here.
OK no problem it makes sense if they still haven't resolved your car that you don't want to put more pressure on the dealership to deal with another car with the same issue. Unfortunmy MG dealership in Essex has been completely useless so far. I originally got the car delivered in May and got a unofficial V2L cable which didn't work I got the seller to replace it and it still didn't work which is when I worked out it was the car but when I went to dealership they wouldn't let me test my cable on the demonstrator and said I'd need to get it booked in which was a month later then they said they had done software updates and said it was the cable faulty and suggested I bought a MG v2l cable so I did and tried it and unsurprisingly it didn't work. So I convinced them to let me try it on their demonstrator and it worked along with my own unofficial cable. Now I'm battling to get a refund on the MG cable I don't need and it's rebooked for them to resolve the car issue but they don't have a clue what their doing... Its a NHS lease car the V2L feature is the main reason I bought the car over others if they can't fix it I will have to try and get a Ioniq 5 which would be such as shame as everything else is fine and it's obviously much cheaper

I took my car into the local MG dealer today as planned.

They have confirmed that the vehicle to load function does not work.

They also confirmed that MG will remedy this situation under warranty.

The necessary parts are now on back order by my local dealer and will be fitted after they arrive in the UK.

Assuming this does the trick, then all will be fixed and that should be the end of the matter.

I'll let you know once the repair has been done.

The necessary parts are now on back order by my local dealer and will be fitted after they arrive in the UK.

Assuming this does the trick, then all will be fixed and that should be the end of the matter.

I've got mine booked in Friday next week, hopefully mine is the same issue.

My inverter shows the 11473414 and the label also shows a date of 230112 (12/01/23) with the car being delivered on May 9th.

I really hope that this can be resolved as without V2L I too wouldn't have ordered this car.

I've been in touch with my V2L adapter supplier 'EVCABLES and they have stated that they have had 2 recent orders returned one of which was from germany and they now have this note on their site.

A SIMPLE ADAPTER POWER SOURCE (MG ONLY)

PLEASE NOTE: We have received reports that the latest deliveries (06/2023) of MG ZS models have had the V2L functionality disabled or removed. Please confirm with your dealer before purchase.

Attachments

• 20230727_133727.jpg
    20230727_133727.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I'm drawing a complete blank with my local MG dealer, so much so that after being ignored multiple times when trying to contact them by email, telephone and webchat I've had to resort to their customer complaints team. That has finally provoked an apologetic response but no substantive answer to the missing V2L problem. Very unimpressed so far!

I'm drawing a complete blank with my local MG dealer, so much so that after being ignored multiple times when trying to contact them by email, telephone and webchat I've had to resort to their customer complaints team. That has finally provoked an apologetic response but no substantive answer to the missing V2L problem. Very unimpressed so far!
Try a template letter from Martin Lewis's website citing the Consumer Rights Act 2015, that ususally gets a result.

Try a different dealership, I’ve got 2-3 within a reasonable distance of me (25 miles or less), go with whichever give you the best response.

Dealer phoned yesterday, the parts are in and my car is booked in to have the work done on 30th Aug (the first date they had available) 👍

I'd booked my car MG ZS 2022 Trophy Connect into dealer and took it in yesterday 31st July to be assessed. The Mechanian/Techanic did various tests and confirmed that the V2L should work for my car, but did not and required a replacement part. He said it would be changed, but the part was on back order and couldn't say when.
I'll phone them monthly for an update.

I'd booked my car MG ZS 2022 Trophy Connect into dealer and took it in yesterday 31st July to be assessed. The Mechanian/Techanic did various tests and confirmed that the V2L should work for my car, but did not and required a replacement part. He said it would be changed, but the part was on back order and couldn't say when.
I'll phone them monthly for an update.
I'm hoping my outcome is the same as you, I go to the dealer on Friday.

Our dealership have been great regarding this so far. It helped that the first person I spoke to had the bulletins to hand, understood the problem, and then followed up on it quickly with MG.

Our car is booked to have the Electric Vehicle Charge Controller replaced this Friday with the version that has V2L functionality... so fingers crossed. I was a little skeptical when it was booked in that they would get the parts so quickly - but appears to be still on for Friday....

Our dealership have been great regarding this so far. It helped that the first person I spoke to had the bulletins to hand, understood the problem, and then followed up on it quickly with MG.

Our car is booked to have the Electric Vehicle Charge Controller replaced this Friday with the version that has V2L functionality... so fingers crossed. I was a little skeptical when it was booked in that they would get the parts so quickly - but appears to be still on for Friday....
Hopefully you will get some paperwork regarding what part is replaced. Can you share (redacted) the part number and if there is any obvious change to what was under the bonnet before and after?

Just basic update the dealership has ordered a replacement EVCC (Electric Vehicle Charge Controller). They have no idea when it will arrive I'm not hopeful it will be anytime soon but I'm going to start a compensation claim directly with MG relating to loss of the function and hope that speeds them up.

Just basic update the dealership has ordered a replacement EVCC (Electric Vehicle Charge Controller). They have no idea when it will arrive I'm not hopeful it will be anytime soon but I'm going to start a compensation claim directly with MG relating to loss of the function and hope that speeds them up.
I have just collected my ZS and the dealer had been told when he called MG UK that all 2023 ZS EV aren't supplied with V2L anymore and as we know all media/websites have had it removed.

I explained how it is an important feature that I wanted when I chose the ZS, as I was leaving they were contacting MG again, now they have been informed that they can order EVCC🤔

It is the first my dealer knew about the feature being removed from all 2023 built ZS EVs.

Pleased that my first world issue is going to be sorted🤓

Last edited:
Had the fix applied yesterday. Dealership said that they had done one other previously and was relatively quick. Part no 11349836.

I took before and after photos and can't see any visible difference - the unit previously pictured in this thread is still the original that came with the car. They said the unit clips in somewhere further down in the motor bay. I haven't been able to test myself yet, but have been assured it was tested as part of the process...will get a cable shortly to try.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom