MG ZS Mk II Tesla Charging Software update

On your last service this calendar year did you get the Tesla Charging Software update free

• Total voters
Hello, i didn't came here in a while. I've read several post about this tesla update. What's wrong with tesla chargers ? My last use of tesla charger was 1 year ago and they all worked without issue. Tesla updated their charger and we have to perform a software update, is that correct ? Thanks
It's not Tesla's problem to solve, they've changed nothing. Other car brands worked fine with their chargers.

Problem was with MG's implementation on the ZS. They've fixed it now, so cars with the update are fine.

Other than by trying, how do you know if your car has the "Tesla update"? Is there a software version to look for?

Wrong way?
What I stated is correct.
It's a fault. They failed to write the software originally to match the protocol.

My point is, MG were having you think this was an "upgrade" - as if it was enhanced functionality.

You don't get to call your bugs that.

You fix them.
I don’t think initially the ZS EV ever had any charging protocols written into the software that would allow the use of the Tesla chargers.
Why because back then, MG ( and few million people ) never thought that these units would ever be opened up to non Tesla owners.
Before the ZS EV went on sale to the public, it was travelling up and down the U.K. trying different rapid chargers as part of its field trials.
Of course this would not include the Tesla super chargers for obvious reasons.
Time moved on and the first 13 non Tesla units in the U.K. came on line and the face lift model was released.
But still no protocol was written for the early cars.
Owners wanted it of course and a conversation between Tesla and MG CS was in progress in the back ground.
MG blamed the Tesla units and Tesla blamed MG of course.
I think it’s common knowledge by now that problem was that the charging protocol were never written as I have suggested above.
When the MG4 was released MG had time to include the Tesla protocol into the software.
They knew at this point that this would start a deluge of requests to make the ZS EV ( facelift ) and MG5 compatible.
As we have now seen, this has now become available.
The debate we continue to roll on with regards to who should pay for the work to be carried out of course !.
It appears to be a purely a case by case, dealer by dealer situation TBH.
The bottom line is purely down to who is going to be picking up the bill for the workshop time.
I believe you stand a much better chance of having this update applied FOC when you submit your car for the annual service, although this is not 100% certain.
If you want to book the car in purely for the update, you are very likely to get asked to contribute to the dealers time spent on your car.
Especially if you are using a dealer which you did not purchase the car from IMHO.
Is this correct - NO but that appears to be the facts I am afraid.
Personally if I intended to be using the Tesla charging network on regular basis, then I would be willing to contribute to the cost for the pure convenience that it would give me.
Like with all things it’s personal choice to make and everybody is different.

I am going through this with mine now, when there were only a few 'open' superchargers it wasn't really worth it, but now with, I think, 44 open, and being significantly cheaper, it needs addressing. My dealer, here, in Norwich, at least 'knows' about an update. I know for a fact my car doesn't work on Tesla superchargers at the moment, luckily there some right next to the MG dealer for testing.
I'll report back with any news.

I am going through this with mine now, when there were only a few 'open' superchargers it wasn't really worth it, but now with, I think, 44 open, and being significantly cheaper, it needs addressing. My dealer, here, in Norwich, at least 'knows' about an update. I know for a fact my car doesn't work on Tesla superchargers at the moment, luckily there some right next to the MG dealer for testing.
I'll report back with any news.
Oh, one thing, if anybody actually has 'eyes on' this mythical letter saying that MG UK are picking up the bill........ could you either let me know, either, where I can get it or send me a copy. Thanks

I have an idea that the letter you are referring too, was an e.mail directed at Miles Roberts and it concerned the MG5 belonging to Les Roberts of the forum.
It was from the after sales manager from MG CS if I remember correctly ?.
It was covered on one of the recent pod casts.
Very briefly, Les had been pushing hard for a long time, to get his MG5 updated in order to charge from the non Tesla units.
After a long campaign MG CS released a statement to say it WAS possible to update the software and that it would be carried out FOC in his case.
I am not aware of any other letter / e.mail that covers the ZS EV ( Gen2 ) facelift model.
The ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) can 100% certainly be updated and some owners have had it done.
Who picks up the tab is the only grey area.

I have an idea that the letter you are referring too, was an e.mail directed at Miles Roberts and it concerned the MG5 belonging to Les Roberts of the forum.
It was from the after sales manager from MG CS if I remember correctly ?.
It was covered on one of the recent pod casts.
Very briefly, Les had been pushing hard for a long time, to get his MG5 updated in order to charge from the non Tesla units.
After a long campaign MG CS released a statement to say it WAS possible to update the software and that it would be carried out FOC in his case.
I am not aware of any other letter / e.mail that covers the ZS EV ( Gen2 ) facelift model.
The ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) can 100% certainly be updated and some owners have had it done.
Who picks up the tab is the only grey area.
That is probably the one, honestly, I, personally, won't expect to get any help from Miles.
OK, thanks for the info, I'll post any progress.

Bruce

Interesting. I picked up my new ZS EV on the 13th of April (so just a month ago). And have just tried unsuccessfully to charge at an open to everyone Tesla hub. Obviously I’m annoyed to be supplied with a car that hasn’t received available updates and I’ll be unwilling to wait almost a year for it’s service to be due to rectify this.

Interesting. I picked up my new ZS EV on the 13th of April (so just a month ago). And have just tried unsuccessfully to charge at an open to everyone Tesla hub. Obviously I’m annoyed to be supplied with a car that hasn’t received available updates and I’ll be unwilling to wait almost a year for it’s service to be due to rectify this.
If you've only had it a month, I would go down the route of it not being fit for purpose if it doesn't charge on any CCS. Ask them to rectify it or reject it and get one that does charge on any CCS.

As the car is so new, then I would speak to the sales person who sold you the car and ask him / her to get the car booked in for the relative software update to be done.
The service department will want to know who is picking up the tab for the work ( as normal ).
So ..............That will be the sales department then !.
The PDI inspection is very basic, therefore trying to avoid carrying out any software updates is about right really TBH.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom