MG4 : 1st Service : What to expect?

Disable that infernal auto-locking, make the USB player work, and stop the damn radio coming on every time I sit down in the car. And do it without taking away the external temperature readout. I'd also like SE SR software that doesn't constantly tell me that 80% is "health mode" while my car is programmed to ignore this (and that goes for the app too).

That's the SE-specific things. There are a lot more that affect all models like the temperature control reading on the HVAC and the Snow/Sport thing (or is that just SE too?) and the lights coming on in broad daylight and the SoC bar still showing green when it's on its last gasp (it's meant to go green-amber-red as the charge gets lower but hardly any cars do it).

One day, if they fix that shit, I'm going to get Andrew up the road to do my servicing and MG dealers can do one.

View attachment 20282

Whilst I appreciate that the 1st MG4 service is merely a "car wash"?, anyone had one from MG and to what exactly you receive? - mine is due, but am slightly worried that they will start to update software, etc., as I just like my default off for LKA as it is., also any info on battery degredation after 12 months?
Can you actually set the LKA to off all the time? I just switch it of manually when I get in. I hated it I'm my VW T-Roc as it was stupid violent..

Can you actually set the LKA to off all the time? I just switch it of manually when I get in. I hated it I'm my VW T-Roc as it was stupid violent..
No. It has to default to on to get NCAP's 5 star approval which applies to all new models.

I was just quoted 188 for 1st service by Glyn Hopkin head office. Need to ring up the branch and check the actual rates as that seems very wrong for 1st service.

I was just quoted 188 for 1st service by Glyn Hopkin head office. Need to ring up the branch and check the actual rates as that seems very wrong for 1st service.
This is exactly the issue I had with them. Varying rates across their sites. Horrendous.
I eventually booked with Bushey MG (not a Glyn Hopkin site) for £144, although the MG dealer in Letchworth (Brown and Gammons) quoted me £114, so I will likely go with them instead.

I'm not willing to pay GH rates .Overall they are a pretty awful dealership IMO

I would go in to the branch if you can .
The prices should be displayed clearly for you .
I paid 88 quid to GH East London .
29 quid for a loan car

I find that very odd. There are still moving parts to check like wheels, suspension, shocks etc...
That’s what Stockport dealer told me, I had a Model 3 for just over 3 years, when I tried to book in for its first service, they told me it doesn’t need one, then I queried them about brake checks and fluid every second year, they said that’s upto the owner , I then asked again what about coolant for the battery pack which was supposed to need replacing every 6 years, they told me nope it doesn’t need that either as they have changed to a different type of coolant.
On the cars third year , the front O/S wishbone started to squeak, it was replaced under warranty, no question asked🙂

Also check if they are quoting low mileage pack if your doing <8k miles per year

Hi everyone

I wanted to share and seek feedback on the quotations I've received for the first service of my MG4. It's been quite an eye-opener, and I'm curious to know if others have any recent updates.
  1. Spirit MG in Corby quoted me £165.96.
  2. Glyn Hopkin MG in Bedford came in at £186.00.
  3. A notably higher quote of £256.00 was given by Glyn Hopkin MG in Milton Keynes.
  4. However, it was Glyn Hopkin MG in St Albans that provided a range from £88.07 to £256.00.
The conversation with the representative at St Albans was particularly interesting. They explained that the £256 quote included a brake service, air-con service, and topping up all fluids. When I probed further, it turned out that the only fluid they'd check and top up was the windscreen washing fluid, which, according to them, is "free anyway".

Given that the car has only done 10,000 miles, I questioned the necessity of servicing the brakes and air-con at this stage. After some discussion, it was revealed that without these additional services, the cost would revert to £88.07. This significant difference, especially when the initial quote was on their own headed paper, really makes one wonder about the consistency and transparency of these quotes.

It seems there might be some confusion or perhaps a lack of standardisation in the pricing for MG4's first service. I'd greatly appreciate hearing your experiences or any advice you might have. Have any of you encountered similar discrepancies in service quotes for your MG4? Do these additional services seem justified to you at this early stage in the car's life?

Looking forward to your insights and shared experiences.

Sounds like it's best to request the most basic service required under MG 1st Service guidance.

Someone posted up a copy of this a while ago (See post #32 on this thread -£88.07 for 10,000 mile service)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back