MG4 - ABRP / OBD - Query

I think it's useful to have a new conversation if people are interested, and all this "go away and search the forum" is off-putting and judgemental. (It's one of the things that made the old Duolingo forum so insufferable.) If nobody is interested the thread will simply die, no harm done, but in fact look at all the replies already.
It’s not that easy on here finding stuff. Have you seen how many pages. I have tried putting a search in the bar many a time and unless you use the words the original thread starter put in you might not see the very same thing you are trying to find out about has already been covered.

Yes mine is working well too. Last use suggested the battery SOC drops about 0.5% quicker than the car display. Yet its consistent so still good.

No issues leaving the dongle connected for me, yet this seems dongle specific. I got a new one (vLinker MC+) as my old one didn’t auto switch on out of standby mode with the MG.

Yes mine is working well too. Last use suggested the battery SOC drops about 0.5% quicker than the car display. Yet its consistent so still good.

No issues leaving the dongle connected for me, yet this seems dongle specific. I got a new one (vLinker MC+) as my old one didn’t auto switch on out of standby mode with the MG.
LELink 2 'Amazons Choice' far cheaper at £27, anyone had any experience with this please?

It’s not that easy on here finding stuff. Have you seen how many pages. I have tried putting a search in the bar many a time and unless you use the words the original thread starter put in you might not see the very same thing you are trying to find out about has already been covered.

I've just realised that the post I thought was excessively snappy was from last October, and this is an old thread that has been resurrected!

As you were.

But yes, it's not easy finding what you want, if what you want is even there, as opposed to a lot of talk about the same feature that doesn't address your question. There were people on the (now defunct) Duolingo forum that jumped on every newbie who came in with a perfectly sensible question scolding them to use the search function, and all it did was make people feel unwelcome.

One person, however, would actually answer the question, then say "you might find more about this here" and link to the actual thread that had the information. That was helpful, and friendly.

I think a lot of us here who have just got our cars rather like a bit of real-time chat about the issue we're asking about, as opposed to reading someone else's chat from six months ago, that might be out of date or of tangential relevance anyway. If nobody wants to chat the thread will sink without trace, so why stress about someone starting it?

Most people whos owned the car for 6 months are likely long gone. People want to talk and think about whats coming and ask questions to figure it out when it arrives. But people have other things to do and stop obsessing

Most people whos owned the car for 6 months are likely long gone. People want to talk and think about whats coming and ask questions to figure it out when it arrives. But people have other things to do and stop obsessing
Whilst some maintain a slightly unhealthy obsession throughout 🙂 (mine was a Jan delivery)

@Quidgebo I'm curious if you ever get the alarm going off when you leave the car as mg4 continues to power the dongle after you lock and the next comms with abrp app triggers it. I have the same vlinker mc+ dongle from when I has zs ev and it worked perfectly for that car but using with mg4 I can't seem to stop it triggering alarm unless I set phone to airplane mode or switch to different maps app on Android auto to break the comms between app and dongle. If you have discovered a method of avoiding this I would be interested to hear.

@Quidgebo I'm curious if you ever get the alarm going off when you leave the car as mg4 continues to power the dongle after you lock and the next comms with abrp app triggers it. I have the same vlinker mc+ dongle from when I has zs ev and it worked perfectly for that car but using with mg4 I can't seem to stop it triggering alarm unless I set phone to airplane mode or switch to different maps app on Android auto to break the comms between app and dongle. If you have discovered a method of avoiding this I would be interested to hear.
that's the reason why I always take my OBD dongle off the port when I finished .. although I'm a bit worried that it would damage the connector ..

I just completed a 700km day trip in NZ, with the ABRP (trial version) and I couldn't manage to connect my OBD tool to the app. I noticed the car scanner app works very patchy as well, so I did not bother too much to play with. I change the car parameters to match my consumption, and it worked very well without OBD.
I agree with the comment, regarding the "conservative" planning, which seemed to be a bit over cautious, but our charging network isn't as great yet, and I almost been caught with a dodgy charger, so that wasn't the planner fault.
Daytrip 2 MG4.JPG

I did not follow completely the instructions, regarding the suggested charging time, due to the slight discrepancy between the planned and real consumption, even though, the total charging time was about 5 minutes more than the prediction, and we arrived home at 13% SOC ( we made a small detour).
I'm not sure whether the OBD would do it any better or not, but I'm pretty happy with this result and can't see the reason to muck around with this function. There is enough hassle with the driving modes and regen settings...

Sounds like an issue with the dongle.. ABRP only works with BLE dongle (so not the standard Bluetooth).. the advantages connecting it dongle is that you don't need to keep changing the base consumption when the weather change for example,it will just learn it from the car

I just completed a 700km day trip in NZ, with the ABRP (trial version) and I couldn't manage to connect my OBD tool to the app. I noticed the car scanner app works very patchy as well, so I did not bother too much to play with. I change the car parameters to match my consumption, and it worked very well without OBD.
I agree with the comment, regarding the "conservative" planning, which seemed to be a bit over cautious, but our charging network isn't as great yet, and I almost been caught with a dodgy charger, so that wasn't the planner fault.
View attachment 21534

I did not follow completely the instructions, regarding the suggested charging time, due to the slight discrepancy between the planned and real consumption, even though, the total charging time was about 5 minutes more than the prediction, and we arrived home at 13% SOC ( we made a small detour).
I'm not sure whether the OBD would do it any better or not, but I'm pretty happy with this result and can't see the reason to muck around with this function. There is enough hassle with the driving modes and regen settings...

I tried ABRP Premium for first time on a day trip yesterday. But the app just kept shutting down after a short while. CarPlay was still up and running, it was just ABRP which would shut down.

After multiple shut downs I gave up on it.

I would be interested in getting a suitable OBD for it and it would be good if it can also real time assess what charge station availability is like, even change the route plan on the fly, but if the app is as unreliable as my experience suggests then I'll likely be cancelling my subscription and not bother with the OBD.

I wrote an email to ABRP support to tell them of my experience.

I can't say much about the stability,as I'm using android and my experience so far it has been stable enough to be use for long journey.

Charger availability is quite ok,not 100% accurate because it also depends on how the charging network share the information. It does suggest route change when needed..

Sounds like an issue with the dongle.. ABRP only works with BLE dongle (so not the standard Bluetooth).. the advantages connecting it dongle is that you don't need to keep changing the base consumption when the weather change for example,it will just learn it from the car
Sure, I can see the advantage of the live data, and to be fair, I thought this kind of route planning is included in every single EV (OK, I thought all feature listed for MG4 is usable, and not reset to default all the time...). Also my dongle is not supported (what I just learned recently). Again, it is only an "investment-return" perspective. I can't feel the need for it. I'll give it a shot once my BLE dongle has arrived, but I'm sure, it will not be my every day gadget.

If you want it to give back the most accurate planning,then it'll be better that you have ABRP active and connected to the dongle on your daily drive.it doesn't have to be doing navigation,just active,so that it can record your driving and learn your driving style..

If you want it to give back the most accurate planning,then it'll be better that you have ABRP active and connected to the dongle on your daily drive.it doesn't have to be doing navigation,just active,so that it can record your driving and learn your driving style..
Fair enough, however, if I have to plug and unplug it all the time, that is a no from me.

I thought the same also at first, but now I just do it by reflex .. takes an extra few seconds .. although now I think my dongle came out of standby on its own ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had no issues with alarms or battery drain. Yet more recently I’ve not been bothering to run it as so few metrics are reliably surfaced (more as MG’s fault). I’ve set ABRP to use 3.8 mi/Kw to be ‘close enough’ in real world comparisons.

Is it ok to leave the OBD dongle plugged in all the time ?
I think it depends on the dongle. I've left mine in, doesn't seem to have caused any grief. But if using a dongle relate app (e.g. ABRP) then I need to unplug the phone before leaving the car, else it triggers the alarm.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back