MG4 AC Charging speeds

Tonych

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Anyone able to advise if i've got unrealistic speed expectations on public, AC, 11kw charging on my MG4 Long Range? I was super impressed at rapid charging rates above 100 kw. But when I plug into our local SMOOV 11kw charger I am getting only 3.5kw and it takes sooooo long to charge. I realise MGs cant charge faster than 7Kw, but it's surprised MGme that it's so low. Am I doing something wrong?

Are the L2 and L3 pins on your cars type2 socket populated?
If so then you have 3 phase charging capability when using either a 16A or 32A 3 phase cable.

Technically you need a 3-phase 16A cable to get 11kW ... a 32A version would allow 22kW (if the onboard charger was capable, like it is on the Zoe, but not on the MG4). :)
If you only got a 3 phase 16A cable it would indeed give you 11kw on a 3 phase supply, but if you used it on a single phase supply it would only give you around 3.5kw. So in my opinion always go for a 32 amp 3 phase cable as that will give you 11 kw on a 3 phase supply (assuming your car has 11kw 3 phase of course) and 7kw on a single phase supply and on your next EV, if it supports 22kw, will support that as well, so a little bit of future proofing thrown in, for very little difference in the cost of the cable.

Last edited:
If you only got a 3 phase 16A cable it would indeed give you 11kw on a 3 phase supply, but if you used it on a single phase supply it would only give you around 3.5kw. So in my opinion always go for a 32 amp 3 phase cable as that will give you 11 kw on a 3 phase supply (assuming your car has 11kw 3 phase of course) and 7kw on a single phase supply and on your next EV, if it supports 22kw, will support that as well, so a little bit of future proofing thrown in, for very little difference in the cost of the cable.
Well pur, that's exactly what I wanted to explain in my reply but my brain seemed to have taken the day off

Agreed, sounds like the cable you're using is a single phase 16A, which would give a max of about 3.5kW. 32A will give you the 7kW you're expecting. There should be some text printed on the cables stating their specs to find out what amps they're rated for :)

Thanks. I have a couple of other cables to try that I know allow 7kw

Look at the connectors - if there is metal in the L2 and L3 holes then it'll be a 3-phase cable. A 7kW single phase cable will still only give you 7kW from a single phase supply, 3.5kW from an 11kW 3-phase supply, and 7kW from a 22kW 3-phase supply.

Look at the connectors - if there is metal in the L2 and L3 holes then it'll be a 3-phase cable. A 7kW single phase cable will still only give you 7kW from a single phase supply, 3.5kW from an 11kW 3-phase supply, and 7kW from a 22kW 3-phase supply.
Thanks all - great info that will inform me in the future. Hope others too! You were right, it's a single phase cable that came with the MG4. Don't know why they would provide that. Did feel a bit lights when I used it too!

Update (with huge thanks to Forum Members) - changed the cable to a proper one I had in storage and it started charging at 11kw! (Podpoint 22kw post)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back