MG4 Air-con & Under tray update

Third undertray? The previous 2 times they replaced with warped ones or did they warp overtime?
From new (May), had a bulge. Went in to be fixed but only slightly better in July. Going in this month. If they replaced it in July, yes, they fitted a "warped" one. I didn't see any difference over time.

From new (May), had a bulge. Went in to be fixed but only slightly better in July. Going in this month. If they replaced it in July, yes, they fitted a "warped" one. I didn't see any difference over time.
I’m sitting waiting in the dealership right now whilst they look at it. Booked in at 10:00, says ready for collection at 17:00 😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️ so I have a long wait with nothing to do but destroy the customer toilets. Just checked all their showroom models, they all have warped under trays hahahahahahaha

I’m sitting waiting in the dealership right now whilst they look at it. Booked in at 10:00, says ready for collection at 17:00 😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️ so I have a long wait with nothing to do but destroy the customer toilets. Just checked all their showroom models, they all have warped under trays hahahahahahaha
I feel sure the toilets will cope.💩🤣

At least you've got a toilet.

I'm having a new bathroom fitted and I said to the plumber as long as I have a working toilet at night when you knock off I'll manage. At the moment all I have is a toilet pan. No bath, no shower or basin and no cistern for the WC, just a bucket of water to flush it with.

I'm keeping well clear of curries for a few days....😖:ROFLMAO:

I had a good look around my car yesterday and found the undertray has a severe warp in it. I'll be on to my dealer today.
20231204_074055.jpg

I had a good look around my car yesterday and found the undertray has a severe warp in it. I'll be on to my dealer today.View attachment 21976
Watch out for "it is as designed", "they all do that", "it is for ventilation".
I called the MG dealer half an hour ago & the service people were all flat out booking cars in for service but the receptionist was very interested so I gave her the lowdown & she said they would ring me probably after 10am. 5 minutes later & it is Brendan from Service so I told him the story, known fault etc & his response was "That's not good, can you bring the car in today. I say yes & it is booked in at 2pm. Now that is pretty good customer service in my book. Well so far anyway.

Went in to the dealer and they had an email from MG with a photo of a warped undertray and an instruction not to replace any parts as the fault is a known issue and they will advise of a resolution in due course, whatever that means. The photo they had was similar to mine.

The problem as I see it is there is at least 1 bolt that should be there but isn't.

The left side the leading edge of the undertray has a bolt on the extreme left, another 170mm in and another about 200mm from that towards the centre of the car, then another about 400mm from that in the centre but about 100mm behind the leading edge.

On the right side it is the same with a bolt at the extreme right leading edge, another 170mm in towards the centre but nothing till the centre located bolt 4-500mm away. Another bolt is required so the gap between fixings is no more than 2-250mm.

The dilemma is probably that there is nothing other than the transmission to fix it to & that would be a no no.

Replacing the tray with the same item won't resolve anything. What the warp is doing at present is allowing water and dirt in to the transmission area and creating extra drag.

Went in to the dealer and they had an email from MG with a photo of a warped undertray and an instruction not to replace any parts as the fault is a known issue and they will advise of a resolution in due course, whatever that means. The photo they had was similar to mine.

Advise of a resolution in due course? This has been a known problem since 2022!

Have to say I'm very close to getting rid of my MG4. It's totally frustrating that they can build a car that is so good then fail dismally on the basics of support and minor fixes. One of the selling points to me was the warranty but they seem incapable or unwilling to fix things. Seems that those who got a good one have done OK but those of us who got an early one will never see MG fixing things properly (LKA and undertray two examples).

Well, I suppose it depends on your point of view.

I never expect perfection and as a result I am rarely disappointed.

I bought the cheapest (by far) family EV and I expected a basically good car but that it will have foibles and issues and it does. Maybe I have been lucky but the surveys indicate that the vast majority are happy.

Buying the cheapest rarely means good service. I have yet to need to use it, I'll let people know how I get on when I do.

Well, I suppose it depends on your point of view.

I never expect perfection and as a result I am rarely disappointed.

I bought the cheapest (by far) family EV and I expected a basically good car but that it will have foibles and issues and it does. Maybe I have been lucky but the surveys indicate that the vast majority are happy.

Buying the cheapest rarely means good service. I have yet to need to use it, I'll let people know how I get on when I do.

I can understand what you are saying but this is a car that cost north of 30K so it wasn't cheap. Happy to put up with a few things software wise but the LKA is a safety issue and yes it can be turned off but the fact it keeps turning back on if you make multiple stops etc and the difficulty to turn it off safely when moving is unforgivable a year on....

I can understand what you are saying but this is a car that cost north of 30K so it wasn't cheap. Happy to put up with a few things software wise but the LKA is a safety issue and yes it can be turned off but the fact it keeps turning back on if you make multiple stops etc and the difficulty to turn it off safely when moving is unforgivable a year on....
It WAS cheap by EV standards. It is irrelevant what you spent, only how that compares to the competition. Most comparable EVs are over £35k. Due to inflation cars are a lot more expensive than they used to be.

The cheapness has to come from somewhere: in the main MG made good decisions on how to cut costs (in my view), except for the software, support and general communication.

I'd really like them to fix these things - don't get me wrong, progress has been poor but it could still turn around. I'm hopeful.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back