MG4 Batteries

I've been digging around more on this and it appears that the MSP battery will come in three different physical sizes with the thickness being the difference between them:

1659683183303.png

Another slide shows the planned capacities. I've translated what I can using my phone:

1659683943487.png

Yes, Luscombe's info re the 4 includes the statement;

"Initially available with two battery options, the Standard Range 51kWh or the Long Range 64kWh, the All-New MG4 EV will have a range between 218 and 281 miles on the WLTP cycle. Furthermore, there will be an option to select the Extended Range model with the 77kwh battery, capable of up to 329 miles on a single charge."

It will be interesting to see what weight, performance and price penalties the last brings.

Interesting that there are now three range bands rather than two.

If it costs £1500 to jump from an SE 51kWh to an SE 64kWh, it should be roughly the same to go from a Trophy 64kWh to Trophy 77kWh, as in each case the difference is 13kWh.
So I guess the Trophy ER cost around £33k

It's £2500 jump from the SE short to the long range.
But it's not just a bigger battery, there are other toys such as the more powerful motor and the active grille system.

I'm confused as to whether the two batteries are the same technology. Adding 20% capacity adds only 30kg which seems very small, and the smaller battery takes longer to increase charge by the same % (not amount in kWh), so I assume that they are not the same technology. But the diagram earlier makes no indication of this.

But it's not just a bigger battery, there are other toys such as the more powerful motor and the active grille system.

I'm confused as to whether the two batteries are the same technology. Adding 20% capacity adds only 30kg which seems very small, and the smaller battery takes longer to increase charge by the same % (not amount in kWh), so I assume that they are not the same technology. But the diagram earlier makes no indication of this.
The standard range uses the LFP chemistry battery. The LR versions uses the standard Lithium ion chemistry. That's why it only adds 30 kg because LFP batteries are heavier per kWh.

Is one better than the other?
I guess it depends what you want. LFP batteries can be charged to 100% regularly without worry of aggressive deg on the battery. But like I said the normal lithium ion chem is more energy dense so they tend to give more range for the same kWh. A lot of manufacturers are starting to go to the LFP chemistry.

The standard range uses the LFP chemistry battery. The LR versions uses the standard Lithium ion chemistry. That's why it only adds 30 kg because LFP batteries are heavier per kWh.
I'd guessed that but haven't seen it in writing anywhere. Have you a source, ideally descended from MG?

A lot of manufacturers are starting to go to the LFP chemistry.

Including Tesla for the M3 SR built in China, although there have been some issues with charging in cold weather.

I'd guessed that but haven't seen it in writing anywhere. Have you a source, ideally descended from MG?

Including Tesla for the M3 SR built in China, although there have been some issues with charging in cold weather.
I don't believe we've had any confirmation regarding the LFP battery in the MG4 from MG yet. Although I'd be very shocked if it isn't LFP as the capacity is identical to the 51 kWh that the ZS SR uses.

A lot has been made of the thickness of the battery in the MG4 (110mm) which is a lot less than the pack below a ZS or a 5 SR.

The 150kWh battery won't fit between the wheels of the MG4, 77kWh is the biggest battery that will fit the MG4!

The 150kWh will have some serious range, well over the 625 miles (1000km) mark I would imagine....

I expect the 150kW pack will be a pair of 77's stacked one on top of the other, and stuffed under a large SUV or van, where the doubled pack height won't matter as much.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back