MG4 Batteries

Carbonhead

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Test drove an MG4 EV yesterday and very impressed, but the sales person said something strange.
I went in to the show room with the extended range (mid) model in mind, but I was told that the entry model would charge to 100% capacity, whereas the
the EV models only charge to 80% of capacity, making the improved range a lot less that you would think...

Is this the case...?

He was quite strongly trying to steer me to the entry level model...?

They're different battery chemistries. Plenty of detailed explanations on here, but the gist of it is that the optimum treatment of the LR batteries is to keep them within the 20% to 80% charge range day-to-day.

What he said seems to be a misunderstanding of this.

If he was also pushing you to the SE SR, it's likely as that will generate a sale quicker. It seems like there are more SE's coming in on deliveries than there are Trophy's.
Test drove an MG4 EV yesterday and very impressed, but the sales person said something strange.
I went in to the show room with the extended range (mid) model in mind, but I was told that the entry model would charge to 100% capacity, whereas the
the EV models only charge to 80% of capacity, making the improved range a lot less that you would think...

Is this the case...?

He was quite strongly trying to steer me to the entry level model...?

Last edited:
The SE comes in both SR (Standard Range) and LR (Long Range) versions. The Trophy is only in LR form and has the same battery as the SE LR.

So I don't see why you've drawn the conclusion you have ... unless you've made a typo and meant SE SR.

The SE comes in both SR (Standard Range) and LR (Long Range) versions. The Trophy is only in LR form and has the same battery as the SE LR.

So I don't see why you've drawn the conclusion you have ... unless you've made a typo and meant SE SR.
I'm full of typos. Thanks :)

The standard range has LFP (Lithum Ferrous Phosphate) ie iron based batteries which are heavier , less energy dense but much more stable than the classic Nickel based battery used on the long range. As such the LFP can routinely be charged to 100% without fear of excess degradation. The Nickel battery is best managed on a day to day basis charging to 80% which will be more than enough for day to day (or often weekly) driving but there are no concerns charging to 100% before a longer journey. You will find lots related to this on the Tesla forums as the SR model 3 and LR have the same battery difference ie LFP for the SR and NMC for the LR. Unless you regularly drive more than 200 miles in one go then the SR should IMHO be fine.

Thanks for the great answers.
When considering battery technology should I be considering length of expected service, or are they similar assuming the Nickel battery is not often charged above 80%.
(We don't need the range, but we have solar power, so hoping to only charge from that, on sunny days, so bigger battery would last longer between cloudy spells in winter...)

We would be getting a smart charger probably from MIenergy

Data from ev-database. Real world range SR 185miles LR 225 miles. If routinely charging LR as recommended to 80% that would give 180miles- so on a day to day basis no difference. As always nice to have the extra range when needed though. Evidence Is either battery won’t (shouldn’t) fail in your lifetime with the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back