MG4 : Best suggested plug-in sequence for granny charging.

Tig170

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I must admit that everything was going perfect with the MG4, but after a little trail run this evening, I couldn't get granny charging to work.

... history car 3 months old, used granny charging last month on holiday no issue! - this evening its been a complete pain - normally I , use a 7kw ohme charger (and dont touch any settings on the MG4) - it just works in charging the car, 00:00 - 05:00 (i.e my cheap rate - but this is all done with ohme, no issues ever). but the granny charger is causing issues - the car came without a granny charger (7WK cable only), so just got one that I could get which is a:

IONIQ 5
The 230VAC portable charger that came with a IONIQ 5 is a Kyungshin 91996-GI050 Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment IC-CPD (In-Cable Control-and Protection Device)

... its causing issues this evening (on 6A-8A & 10A settings)- I do recall a few months ago (on holiday), in that to get the MG4 to behave I needed to plug in the cables in a certain sequence - does anyone have a trusted plug in / switch on sequence that works for granny charging?

I’ve only used a granny plug to charge so far until we get a wall box installed. Sequence that works for me…

• get out of car and keep it unlocked
  • granny cable already in wall socket but switched off
  • plug charger into port in car
  • switch on socket at wall
  • lock car
  • check through window that charging has started

Only way I’ve done it and seems to work fine.

Thanks ever so much for the heads up on this, tried but still failing - the charger must be faulty / incompatible (but is strange that I got it to work a few months ago)

Does the granny charger show an illuminated number when plugged in? If its the same design as the one with our EV6 see attached. It may help.
D46F36D4-54B8-414C-A44B-E77E64CE4FA6.pngB7363C60-BC5C-41D8-8C3C-F31B64963CF2.png

When it worked last (on holiday), it was set to 10 A (and worked no issue), but have tried changing the current on both the car & also the settings on the charger (6, 8 & 10). THe charger has been sat in the back of the car, so have just brought it in an sat it ontop of a radiator for a few hours incase its cold/damp? (probably completly pointless), but i'll give it a go!

BTW: thanks for your help, much apprechiated

Thanks ever so much for the heads up on this, tried but still failing - the charger must be faulty / incompatible (but is strange that I got it to work a few months ago)
It should not be incompatible, they should all work as long as house electrics are up to it. Suggests the lead may have developed a fault as it worked before.

Have you checked there’s power to the socket? I’ve heard of people frying their ring main because it’s been overloaded with the car charging, kettle on etc.

.... the voltage was a little high at 242v, so just tried on a stable 230v off-grid supply (and also tried it at work yesterday on another supply), still getting the same E7 overcurrent error on all - arhhh

Resolved : thanks for all your help : the granny charger has been a god send over this Christmas period (as we had no alternative) : sorted it via the app. All one needed to do was, just keep pressing start charge (plus PIN code) - three times!! (It seems to work every night - 5 nights in a row!)- and it starts to charge overnight!! - thanks again for all your help!

Resolved : thanks for all your help : the granny charger has been a god send over this Christmas period (as we had no alternative) : sorted it via the app. All one needed to do was, just keep pressing start charge (plus PIN code) - three times!! (It seems to work every night - 5 nights in a row!)- and it starts to charge overnight!! - thanks again for all your help!
A new version of the app has been issued today (30Dec). Try to update it and check if that bug has been fixed.

Ok, a few hrs on the new app - a bit of a switch off / reboot - did work 1st time - I’m so far from home - so when in safe territory will advise further!

It'd be interesting to see if cabin preheat / battery heating now works when plugged in and not charging. :) (I'm at 89% charge so don't need to charge up at the moment ... might need to do so tomorrow night).

It'd be interesting to see if cabin preheat / battery heating now works when plugged in and not charging. :) (I'm at 89% charge so don't need to charge up at the moment ... might need to do so tomorrow night).
My car is currently plugged in and not charging (type 2 cable, not granny charger) - the iPhone app was updated today so I thought I’d try pre heating just now. Not working still on iPhone 😩

I mean, admin posted that this should not become a discussion about the term and the last page is only about this.
I'm not from the UK so I don't get the implication of granny charging, if it's derogatory then I won't use it.

But back to the topic:

I find the procedure SD43 described in their post quite weird because with my zoe and twingo, we don't do it this way. Portable charger on, plug it into the car, it charges regardless if the car is locked or unlocked.

Does the car need to be locked to charge on AC?

I find the procedure SD43 described in their post quite weird because with my zoe and twingo, we don't do it this way. Portable charger on, plug it into the car, it charges regardless if the car is locked or unlocked.

Does the car need to be locked to charge on AC?
Once plugged in and powered on the car and EVSE controller in the lead will undertake the handshake to determine how much power the "charger" is capable of providing, when locked this happens straight away, when unlocked this happens after a short period of time.

And if you unlock the car while it's charging it will disengage the solenoid and stop charging for a short duration for you to remove the charge lead else it will then re-engage the solenoid to lock the lead in place and start charging again.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back