MG4 Charging Cables

3 phase total waste of money for an MG, it can only take 1 phase.

Agreed, plus the extra 2 6.0mm² conductors add significantly to both the weight and the stiffness when rolling/unrolling the cable. Try before you buy.

Not having (yet) had an EV, so not ever having had to charge (public or otherwise) ... do public chargers have cables attached or do you need your own cable?

(I do have my own Wallbox Pulsar Plus at home which has a Type 2 plug fitted on the end of a 7m cable).
Hi,
Rapid DC CCS charges will have a tethered cable but Fast AC EVSE will need a type2 cable.

If 4m are sufficient for you, Tesla arguably has the best deal on Type 2 Cables.
3 Phase 32A from Mennekes or Defa (I got a Mennekes) for £85

Edit: I just read

"In order to be eligible to purchase this product, you must be a Tesla vehicle owner."

Is this true? Sorry if so, it isn't on the continent where I bought this very cable (for €99).

Even so, it may still be worth asking friends / acquaintances that drive a Tesla, since it retails for more than double that everywhere else as far as I can tell.
Can you confirm that cable works on cars other than Tesla? Reason that I ask is that Tesla uses a different charging standard that doesn't require a resistor in the lead.

Can you confirm that cable works on cars other than Tesla? Reason that I ask is that Tesla uses a different charging standard that doesn't require a resistor in the lead.

I'm not aware of Tesla using a different charging Standard (on regular AC / outside of their Superchargers) but even if that was the case - don't get confused by Tesla calling it an Adapter when it isn't.

This is a Standard IEC 62196-2 / Mennekes (made by the company that literally designed the Standard Type 2 Connector) AC Cable.

And indeed, as mentioned above - I bought this cable from Tesla in Germany, received a blue Mennekes 36213 as pictured in the product description (although I read in a Forum that when ordering some months back, Tesla shipped a black Defa Cable to some people instead - which would be a premium cable too).

I already used it on both my Renault Zoe (three phase) and Ioniq 28 (single phase) and am looking forward to using it on the MG4 as well.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good 3 pin charger for use when at holiday cottages etc? My MG4 is being supplied with the type2 to type2.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a good 3 pin charger for use when at holiday cottages etc? My MG4 is being supplied with the type2 to type2.
my understanding from my dealer is that the type 2 type 2 cable is an additional extra - I declined his (expensive) offer and he said that I would still get a 3 pin plug type 2 adapter as standard - obviously you must take everything you hear from a salesman with a pinch of salt but it sounded feasible to me

According to "my" dealer and she showed me an email, 1,300 of the first cars came without "granny" leads and will get a Type 2 instead. Suits me but no doubt not everyone.
Another email showed the 600 SE wrongly fitted with privacy glass - personally I like it but it does make the interior quite dark in the showroom although great outdoors.

Masterplug from Screwfix. Go for the 10m version to reduce the need for an extension lead.

Masterplug 10A 2.3kW Mode 2 Type 2 Socket Electric Vehicle Charging Cable 10m

They do a 5m one for £25 less.

If you are worried by the quality of the wiring also consider one that's adjustable to reduce the current to 6A rather than 10A, although charging obviously takes a lot longer.

Masterplug from Screwfix. Go for the 10m version to reduce the need for an extension lead.

Masterplug 10A 2.3kW Mode 2 Type 2 Socket Electric Vehicle Charging Cable 10m

They do a 5m one for £25 less.

If you are worried by the quality of the wiring also consider one that's adjustable to reduce the current to 6A rather than 10A, although charging obviously takes a lot longer.
jeepers its scary the price of these cables! used to be cable theft was pretty industrial, but I reckon there could be an opportunity here for some reprobates

I have commented on here before that I thought the £156 I was quoted for a type2 type2 MG cable from my dealer, was ridiculous, now I'm not so sure...

They would be rather foolish to cut the cable whilst it's in use....

The bigger issue is a tethered charger cables which can be cut when the owner is away.

Although it's a bigger faff, a non tethered wall box is the way to go (in my humble opinion!).

I have commented on here before that I thought the £156 I was quoted for a type2 type2 MG cable from my dealer, was ridiculous, now I'm not so sure...

That is literally buttons compared to the £500 Renault wanted for their "official" granny lead for my Zoe. I got one for £175 online instead.

I would recommend something adjustable, like this:

You can use 6A on unknown quality plugs or caravans etc and 10A in more trusted places, or in an emergency.

According to "my" dealer and she showed me an email, 1,300 of the first cars came without "granny" leads and will get a Type 2 instead. Suits me but no doubt not everyone.
I too was quoted by the dealer that the first ~1500 cars would get a type2 charge cable. No mention of a granny charger at all.
Granny chargers are cheap enough from Screwfix these days but I've not missed having one since I sold the old car with it over a year ago now.

I did ask about sweetening the deal with a V2L adaptor but it isn't on the accessories list yet so they couldn't comment.

I would recommend something adjustable, like this:

You can use 6A on unknown quality plugs or caravans etc and 10A in more trusted places, or in an emergency.

The MG4 has adjustable charging rates from the infotainment system. I'd suggest setting it there rather than relying on the pEVSE to do it for you.

IMG_20220930_113022.jpg

FWIW I have an unused "official" MG pEVSE "granny" lead that I don't want in its MG branded case left over from my MG5 that I'll sell on if anyone's interested.

My dealer was kind enough to swap type 2 cable with granny. However I think I need a 10 meter long cable.
I can sell the new MG granny cable it if anyone interested.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back