MG4 Detailing Thread - Other Models/Marques welcome!

Just having a nightmare, Car went back to the dealer for a software update on the hottest day of the year and they washed it ! *** . Didn't notice till I got home. Does anyone know how to get etched water marks off the rear quarter panels and spoiler top. Tried re washing, 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar, polish. Nothing is shifting it. Emailed the dealer pictures etc they have gone very quiet .
That's nasty, take it back.

Gtechniq W9 is supposed to remove water spots, but the dealer should sort it out, at least its not what EVM got on his Leaf when it was serviced (hopefully)

Just having a nightmare, Car went back to the dealer for a software update on the hottest day of the year and they washed it ! *** . Didn't notice till I got home. Does anyone know how to get etched water marks off the rear quarter panels and spoiler top. Tried re washing, 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar, polish. Nothing is shifting it. Emailed the dealer pictures etc they have gone very quiet .
If you get no joy from the dealer or you don't want them to touch it try Autoglym Rapid Detailer.

That does not look like straight water etching to me somehow.
Water etching usually leaves a "map like" out line, in the shape of a cloud and has a white ring around the edge.
The images have a multi coloured finish that looks more like, that a chemical pre wash has been applied to the car and then allowed to dry due to the resent hot weather.
It MAY require a full machine cut & polish in order to try removing the stains / etching - hope fully.

Ooof, that looks nasty. Hopefully it'll polish out if a product doesn't work on it.

My routine:

• Wheel/tyre cleaner - Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner (only do this step occasionally on wheels, due to the aero covers keeping a lot of gunk off)
  • Snow foam pre-wash onto dry car - Bilt Hamber Touchless with snow foam bottle that came with the Karcher K3
  • Pressure wash off after 3-5mins
  • Microfibre mitt hand wash with Autoglym Car shampoo (Ph Neutral) - 2 bucket method
  • Pressure wash off
  • Dry with large twisted loop drying towel

Have yet to apply anything after that, but going to do a ceramic coating with Gyeon CanCoat in the next few weeks. (Do all the above, plus a quick decontamination spray with the Meguiars wheel cleaner after the hand wash. Then apply Gyeon Prep, then two coats of Gyeon CanCoat).

Had planned on getting PPF to the bumper/bonnet/front wings, but can't justify 1500 at the moment.
I fully expect to be cursing this decision in a few months when there's stone chips all over the front :ROFLMAO:

The staining/ etching wasn't just on the black panels closer look the paint and glass had whatever the mg dealer uses to clean customers cars baked on to the surface. Nothing harmless would shift it, not even 3m surface cleaner or three no abrasive polishes. Following professional advice Drastic actions needed , Two days of cutting and polishing. The spoiler top and quarter panels were easily scatched so I'm going to template them and get some PPF patterns made to keep them looking fresh. Haven't heard from the MG dealer yet. Got some trust issues developing.
IMG_20230912_121624302.jpg
IMG_20230912_121613548.jpg

The staining/ etching wasn't just on the black panels closer look the paint and glass had whatever the mg dealer uses to clean customers cars baked on to the surface. Nothing harmless would shift it, not even 3m surface cleaner or three no abrasive polishes. Following professional advice Drastic actions needed , Two days of cutting and polishing. The spoiler top and quarter panels were easily scatched so I'm going to template them and get some PPF patterns made to keep them looking fresh. Haven't heard from the MG dealer yet. Got some trust issues developing. View attachment 20099View attachment 20100
Top tip !.
Never allow the dealer to wash your car.
I have refused their request to valet my cars on ever one I have ever owned.
I present the car in a condition that prevents them from even touching it.

Has anyone PPF'd their car/MG4? Either professionally or braved it DIY?

I see that kits are available to buy from XPEL, precut for the MG4:

I might order the rear light one and do that myself. $127 plus $15 shipping.
Plenty of videos on youtube showing how to apply PPF, and the rear lights and light bar seem fairly simple.

Unfortunately the retail price of the full bonnet/bumper/front wings kits comes to not much less than getting it done professionally from the two quotes I've got.

CarPro - Spotless 2.0 Water Spot Remover - might be worth a try but if it's occurred on a very hot day there's a good chance it'll need a light machine polish to get rid of the marks

Top tip !.
Never allow the dealer to wash your car.
I have refused their request to valet my cars on ever one I have ever owned.
I present the car in a condition that prevents them from even touching it.
Lesson learnt ! (The hard way)
Shame the dealer didn't seem interested enough to respond. The infotainment / software issues it was booked in for wasn't fixed either. So I'm guessing another 2 months wait before their earliest available slot.

Lesson learnt ! (The hard way)
Shame the dealer didn't seem interested enough to respond. The infotainment / software issues it was booked in for wasn't fixed either. So I'm guessing another 2 months wait before their earliest available slot.
Or try another dealer who might care a bit more about your custom.

Or try another dealer who might care a bit more about your custom.
Totally agree and under serious consideration, but, 'Out of the frying pan into the fire' always springs to mind. I'm hoping they will listen to a bit of feedback first, see what they say, hoping for a 'sorry'.

Would be nice to have a thread on dealer satisfaction rather than generic google ratings. I wonder if dealers monitor this forum or have joined it ?

Totally agree and under serious consideration, but, 'Out of the frying pan into the fire' always springs to mind. I'm hoping they will listen to a bit of feedback first, see what they say, hoping for a 'sorry'.

Would be nice to have a thread on dealer satisfaction rather than generic google ratings. I wonder if dealers monitor this forum or have joined it ?
There are threads on dealers, if you come out to the main community page you will see them down near the bottom next to general chat

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back