MG4 doesn’t get warm.

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Is there anything special that has to be done to produce heat inside the car? Got the car one week ago, and if i set the temperature to 25-30C (ECO and AC off) it’s still blowing cold air put the vents. I might take it to the dealer, but thought I should be asking here first.

It should get warm under those conditions, since you are in Norway I am going to assume the ambient temperature is a lot lower. The MG4 does have a calibration error, so many people add 3-5C above the temperature they want to get the required temperature.

Try setting the temperature to Max. If you still get nothing there's probably a fault somewhere. If it does produce heat you are seeing the sensor calibration fault mentioned above.

Try setting the temperature to Max. If you still get nothing there's probably a fault somewhere. If it does produce heat you are seeing the sensor calibration fault mentioned above.

It gets warmer at max and AC on. But 22-25C is still pretty cold.

It should get warm under those conditions, since you are in Norway I am going to assume the ambient temperature is a lot lower. The MG4 does have a calibration error, so many people add 3-5C above the temperature they want to get the required temperature.

How is the calibration error resolved?

There isn't a fix (yet). You just have to add around 5 Deg C to your set point.

I've seen some reports that the thermostats can be badly calibrated. So then you set it to 20, it'll cool to much lower than 20. Maybe if you want it at 25, you have to set it much higher than 25.

(You don't really want it at 25, do you? You're just testing?)

How is the calibration error resolved?
The response from MG so far....
No One Page GIF

It seems to me that whereas the temperature range runs from LO - 18 .... 32 - HI, this should be read as LO - 13 .... 27 - HI. Doing this, it all appears to work perfectly.

No fix? The car has a 7 year warranty. The dealer can't re calibrate or replace it?
Apparently not. This has been the case for a year now (along with the automatic lights calibration being wrong, at least for the UK).

Most charitable interpretation is that they have been prioritising other fixes.

No fix? The car has a 7 year warranty. The dealer can't re calibrate or replace it?

It’s not unreasonable to assume the sensor is cheap rubbish.
So replacing one with another isn’t going to do much.
And recalibration maybe just isn’t feasible.
Either/both of the above would explain MG’s lack of response.
They’ll hope you just give up and go away.

The thing is, everyone can add or subtract five. The light sensor works fine if you simply take the cover off and replace it with one with a transparent top. (Driving down the M40 last week my lights came on around the time the road lighting was coming on, and some little time after the lights had come on on some of the other cars on the road.)

If only some of the other glitches were as easy to live with.

It’s not unreasonable to assume the sensor is cheap rubbish.
So replacing one with another isn’t going to do much.
And recalibration maybe just isn’t feasible.
Either/both of the above would explain MG’s lack of response.
They’ll hope you just give up and go away.

The dealer told me the temperature sensor was a known issue, and that MG had sent out a message telling them to update the M4's software. They said they would contact me as soon as they've updated their own M4 for testing.

The dealer told me the temperature sensor was a known issue, and that MG had sent out a message telling them to update the M4's software. They said they would contact me as soon as they've updated their own M4 for testing.

Fault:
Sensor is crap

Remedy:
change the temp display to pander to the crap sensor

Marvellous. 😂

In my experience, the internal temperature sensor works perfectly well. If you read the sensor data using the MG iSMART app, and compare the reading to another digital thermometer. The two match.
It’s the digital temperature gauge that is incorrectly set.
I read temperature as cold - comfortable - hot
And forget what those numbers actually are.
25-26 (middle of gauge) qualifies as comfortable in my books these days.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back