MG4 doesn’t get warm.

The dealer told me the temperature sensor was a known issue, and that MG had sent out a message telling them to update the M4's software. They said they would contact me as soon as they've updated their own M4 for testing.
I wonder if that will give us more heat ?
What will the fix be, remove the number and just give us a blue to red scale on the display like the mk1 ZS ev ?

I don't feel I'm having a heat issue at all. I find the car much more comfortable than my old Golf, both as regards heating and aircon, I think at least in part thanks to the design of the vents. Sure, using the heater will consume power, but I'm not that fussed about that, and I like the way the heat comes on almost instantly. I also like the pre-heating function.

I just find it slightly ridiculous that I have to mentally subtract five from the reading in front of me all the time.

I don't feel I'm having a heat issue at all. I find the car much more comfortable than my old Golf, both as regards heating and aircon, I think at least in part thanks to the design of the vents. Sure, using the heater will consume power, but I'm not that fussed about that, and I like the way the heat comes on almost instantly. I also like the pre-heating function.

I just find it slightly ridiculous that I have to mentally subtract five from the reading in front of me all the time.
The instant heat is a feature of PTC heaters. The heatpump models will be different - good implementations heat quickly but it is possible MG's is amongst those that don't.

Getting new firmware at the dealer as we speak. Let's see how it goes.

Dunno, since I don't have the heat pump. How does the car manage the pre-heating with the heat pump?

Obviously it doesn't manage it at all. The pre heating is just cold air, until I'm in the car so I can turn on the AC and put it to 27-28. But it's not winter, so I have yet to see how the pre heating will handle really low temperatures. The AC firmware update didn't do much, but they told me that there are two more updates, so it's scheduled for next week. It's not an "all in one" update on these cars. They also told me that they don't do these updates as part of the yearly service. Only when people complain. So shame on MG for not providing real over the air updates.

Hmm. I'm sure I remember someone from Scandinavia saying that it did work. That the car could be completely defrosted in ten minutes. Presumably that was also with a heat pump.

When I first got my car I tried the pre-heating, and once someone on the forum had explained to me about setting the temperature as well as simply initiating the pre-heating, it worked well and the car was toasty.

Actually, that's a thought. Are you sending the desired temperature to the car as well as turning on the pre-heat? If you aren't, that could be why you're getting cold air.

Hmm. I'm sure I remember someone from Scandinavia saying that it did work. That the car could be completely defrosted in ten minutes. Presumably that was also with a heat pump.

When I first got my car I tried the pre-heating, and once someone on the forum had explained to me about setting the temperature as well as simply initiating the pre-heating, it worked well and the car was toasty.

Actually, that's a thought. Are you sending the desired temperature to the car as well as turning on the pre-heat? If you aren't, that could be why you're getting cold air.
In the app?

Once you think you have turned on the heating, look on the right-hand side of the screen, near the top. A button will have appeared labelled "HVAC". Tap on it. This will take you to a screen where you can set the temperature. Choose your temperature then tap on "send" (at the bottom).

You'll get the wee rocket saying it's sending, then a message saying the temperature has been set. If you miss out this step the thing will blow cold air at you. Happened to me the first time I tried, but someone here on the forum put me right.

At that time the app made you re-enter your PIN to send the temperature, but thankfully it no longer does that.

Unintuitive? Counter-intuitive? User-hostile? MG?

Once you think you have turned on the heating, look on the right-hand side of the screen, near the top. A button will have appeared labelled "HVAC". Tap on it. This will take you to a screen where you can set the temperature. Choose your temperature then tap on "send" (at the bottom).

You'll get the wee rocket saying it's sending, then a message saying the temperature has been set. If you miss out this step the thing will blow cold air at you. Happened to me the first time I tried, but someone here on the forum put me right.

At that time the app made you re-enter your PIN to send the temperature, but thankfully it no longer does that.

Unintuitive? Counter-intuitive? User-hostile? MG?
Which temperature do you pick? I guess you have to add another 5 degrees just like in the car?

To be honest I'm not sure. It's been temperate here so I haven't used the facility much. I would suggest trial and error, but if you want it warm I'd start by adding the 5 degrees. You can always open a window if it's too hot, and aim a bit lower next time.

To be honest I'm not sure. It's been temperate here so I haven't used the facility much. I would suggest trial and error, but if you want it warm I'd start by adding the 5 degrees. You can always open a window if it's too hot, and aim a bit lower next time.
It's not getting especially warm, but this is a feature I have to test during the winter. Just got the car.

The remote preheat operates only for 10 minutes (twice if you wish), so when I needed to defrost the car last winter I just set the temperature to max. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back