MG4 Doors Locking When Driving Away.

Buster72

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Another quick question.
How do I stop the car doors locking just after pulling away. It is probably something really easy but apart from using the key, can I turn this feature off?

I believe this is a mandatory requirement on all cars, not just the MG4. My previous car (ICE) had it too.
Yet more nannying nonsense. What ARE they protecting us from, carjacking ? Not a big problem in these parts, and who the hell would jack an MG anyway :oops:
Every time it locks I imagine the mechanism getting a little more worn out, not covered by the warranty no doubt.

I haven't got mine yet so someone will have to check but if you go into vehicle settings, then convenience there is a door lock option.
What the options are I don't know. Might be just an option for either just the driver's door to unlock when unlocking the car or all doors.

Yet more nannying nonsense. What ARE they protecting us from, carjacking ? Not a big problem in these parts, and who the hell would jack an MG anyway :oops:
Every time it locks I imagine the mechanism getting a little more worn out, not covered by the warranty no doubt.
When I was younger I had my 5yr old fiat Punto stolen off the drive when there was a 2yr old VW touareg on the drive and the keys were next to each other, so don't assume someone won't take an MG 😂

It's not necessarily the car they are after but your phone, wallet, watch etc.

Don't you stop at traffic lights?:eek:
I think it’s a good safety feature myself, not sure why disabling it is a good idea ?.
A while back, there was a good number of reports to the police that when cars were slowing down in busy towns, or stopping at traffic lights / junctions / roundabouts etc.
The “Pond Life” was using this as a good opportunity to open any unlocked door(s) and quickly snatch anything that they could see inside of the car.
Wallet on the seat / brief case / lap top etc.
They would time it so well, that they would grab their haul, just as the light changed !.

I think it’s a good safety feature myself, not sure why disabling it is a good idea ?.
A while back, there was a good number of reports to the police that when cars were slowing down in busy towns, or stopping at traffic lights / junctions / roundabouts etc.
The “Pond Life” was using this as a good opportunity to open any unlocked door(s) and quickly snatch anything that they could see inside of the car.
Wallet on the seat / brief case / lap top etc.
They would time it so well, that they would grab their haul, just as the light changed !.
A useful feature in many parts of the world no doubt, it's just not having the option to turn it off that irks, it is of zero use to me on rural B roads.

I tried unlocking the doors manually in my MG5 and that works until you slow down at which time it automatically re-locks.

I tried unlocking the doors manually in my MG5 and that works until you slow down at which time it automatically re-locks.
... when you speed up again? (It's a speed of ~11mph that triggers the auto-lock).

Funny you should say that, I tried our ZS EV facelift only today !.
All of the doors automatically lock, when you reach about 20 Mph.
While travelling above this speed you can use the manual unlock button on the drivers door card to unlock the doors ( not sure why you would want this, but hey ho ) they appear to remain unlocked, until the speed drops below 20 Mph, then they will re-lock once again, as the speed builds back up above the 20 Mph threshold.

Last edited:
I've turned this off as it keeps the doors locked when only the passenger gets out. It's annoying having to remember to unlock when the Mrs gets out and wants to start getting the boy out from the back before I've gathered my things.

We manually lock when we go somewhere dodgy.

This feature was on the Punto we had in our family 15 years ago.

Its not just protecting the car. Women have had attempted abduction through unlocked doors.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back