MG4 Doors Locking When Driving Away.

Thank you for this picture this feature was discussed on the podcast on Tuesday night and I was asked had we got this setting in my wife’s MG4 SESR and I said no it hasn’t, but someone mailed in to say it had on there car so we ended the chat about it buy agreeing no the SE doesn’t but perhaps the Trophy may have it and you picture proves it does why they are different I don’t understand as this is a well used safety feature used on most cars I think today.
So thanks again for that.
Les

Yet more nannying nonsense. What ARE they protecting us from, carjacking ? Not a big problem in these parts, and who the hell would jack an MG anyway :oops:
Every time it locks I imagine the mechanism getting a little more worn out, not covered by the warranty no doubt.
OK, I'm going to tell the story about why I shouldn't be here. Some years ago I was traveling out through an isolated area between outer Adelaide suburbs (no lights or houses nearby) and had to stop to check the address. I turned on the lights and flicked over some pages. Next thing I heard two simultaneous clunks, from either side of each front door, and looked up to see a guy on either side of my car trying to get in. I asked through the glass what they wanted, and the one at my window said he 'wanted to help me'. I put my foot down and spun away. What if I'd forgotten to lock my doors?

OK, I'm going to tell the story about why I shouldn't be here. Some years ago I was traveling out through an isolated area between outer Adelaide suburbs (no lights or houses nearby) and had to stop to check the address. I turned on the lights and flicked over some pages. Next thing I heard two simultaneous clunks, from either side of each front door, and looked up to see a guy on either side of my car trying to get in. I asked through the glass what they wanted, and the one at my window said he 'wanted to help me'. I put my foot down and spun away. What if I'd forgotten to lock my doors?
Agreed.
If you are travelling through know local safe areas then the risks are very low.
But when I am travelling in an unknown strange area, then I find the auto lock facility to be a great safe guard for both the driver / passengers and any valuables you maybe carrying in the cabin.
If you need to leave what could be the start of a developing / dangerous / situation.
Then the EV has the added advantage of leaving the situation without giving any warning of your intentions to leave.
Fossil cars with stop start technology, has the big disadvantage of showing the intention of movement by the driver, as the engine cranks over as the clutch is depressed.
EV’s don’t offer this give away warning, one second they are there and the next seconds they have left the potential danger zone.

That and a really smug look in the rear view mirror when you see an SE out accelerating past you from the lights. Ha ha...
I don't think the locking feature is anything to do with car jacking but locking doors is about structural integrity when you are involved in a collision. It keeps you safe so disabling it is dangerous

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back