MG4 Driver Side Dashboard Rattle/Buzzing

DuttSaab

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello all, I have been following this forum since Oct 22 (bought my MG4 SE SR) and you all have been immensely helpful.

This is the first post I am publishing here as I haven't been able to find answers to the issues I have been experiencing.

My 3 months/4K miles old MG4 has developed a very faint buzzing/rattle from the driver side. It seems to be coming from the top of the dashboard/inside of the air vent perhaps? I have tried pressing all the panels in the door and nothing seems to looking or feeling odd.

FYI, I had already fixed the passenger under glove rattle hence, its not coming from there.

I’ll try attaching video for your reference.

Addition: Video is now attached below…

Any help on this will be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is the air vent fully open/closed or directed fully to one side or the other? Try just moving it away from its maximum adjustment.

I had to take everything movable out of the car to resolve this issue on a previous car. Glovebox, sunglasses holder, centre console, door storage, everything...and I mean everything out the boot. Luckily the noise/rattle stopped. Boot refilled...silence. centre console silence etc. until I filled the glovebox and it started...alloygator key was vibrating. If none of this works it can be a bugger to solve tbh

Is the air vent fully open/closed or directed fully to one side or the other? Try just moving it away from its maximum adjustment.
Hello Ian, I did try moving the vent quite a bit. I can try and do it again. I have just added a video for your reference. Its very faint but loud enough to annoy anyone 😌
I had to take everything movable out of the car to resolve this issue on a previous car. Glovebox, sunglasses holder, centre console, door storage, everything...and I mean everything out the boot. Luckily the noise/rattle stopped. Boot refilled...silence. centre console silence etc. until I filled the glovebox and it started...alloygator key was vibrating. If none of this works it can be a bugger to solve tbh
cheers, thats going to be my next option. Not sure if I’ll get any help from the dealer to identify where its coming from

Apologies, new here. Let me have a look there too. Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I found mine came from my sunglasses in the roof holder. Cured by sticking a peice of sponge foam insulation in the middle of the drop down tray and glasses wrap round that. No rattle.
If you dont have anything in the sunglass holder then look elsewhere.

I found mine came from my sunglasses in the roof holder. Cured by sticking a peice of sponge foam insulation in the middle of the drop down tray and glasses wrap round that. No rattle.
If you dont have anything in the sunglass holder then look elsewhere.
Cheers, tried that. With or without sunglasses. Holder open or shut. 🥺. More R&D to follow

Others have said it's the glovebox, or the dash vents (rattling against the car frame). Felt pads/sheet was the cure in both those cases.

@DuttSaab Similar to this one?

This problem can not be solved with the "MG4 Glovebox rattles - Fixed !!" coming from the central console (I already try it). For now, I'm not able to solve it.

@DuttSaab I had a similar issue on my Trophy which was resolved by the dealership recently. It was the clips that hold the infotainment screen onto the dashboard. They removed the screen, insulated the clips with some type of fabric tape then reassembled. This has resolved the issue as there’s no longer plastic on plastic contact.

It took me a while to initially work out where the rattle was coming from, eventually I identified it by applying some pressure to the top of the screen (pulling it gently towards me), which stopped the noise straight away. Maybe give this a try to see if it’s the same issue on yours?

@DuttSaab Similar to this one?

This problem can not be solved with the "MG4 Glovebox rattles - Fixed !!" coming from the central console (I already try it). For now, I'm not able to solve it.

That’s exactly what I am having. Took it to the dealer and they said its the air coming through the fan blades (bullshit) and since there is nothing broken so cant really do anything 🤬

@DuttSaab I had a similar issue on my Trophy which was resolved by the dealership recently. It was the clips that hold the infotainment screen onto the dashboard. They removed the screen, insulated the clips with some type of fabric tape then reassembled. This has resolved the issue as there’s no longer plastic on plastic contact.

It took me a while to initially work out where the rattle was coming from, eventually I identified it by applying some pressure to the top of the screen (pulling it gently towards me), which stopped the noise straight away. Maybe give this a try to see if it’s the same issue on yours?
Cheers, will try that but I am sure its coming from the right air vent. Let me have a go at your solution..

Edit: Sorry, I put the wtong one here! I still facing the rattle. Teh dealer confirmed that the sound is coming from the central air vent, but I still need to go to the dealer to try to solve it (CONFIRMED No Glovebox and screen)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I'm having this issue with Carlinkit 4.0, is working great but I have an issue sometimes when I enter from MG system to the carplay section. I get this black screen until I move a little bit. It seems that is something related to the frequency sync or something like that.

Wrong thread, this is for rattling.....try this one

Wrong thread, this is for rattling.....try this one

You are right, sorry. Check the previous message is the correct one

Edit: Sorry, I put the wtong one here! I still facing the rattle. Teh dealer confirmed that the sound is coming from the central air vent, but I still need to go to the dealer to try to solve it (CONFIRMED No Glovebox and screen)

Hi, can I ask which dealer is it? My local one is not being co operative at all

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel