MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
On my street there have been a few cars stolen, I also hear with the right skills and equipment it is possible to hack or somehow steal?

Is the MG4 difficult to hack?

What can be done to prevent or at least reduce risk?

If you have keyless entry enabled it's as easy as most if you don't keep your keys in a faraday pouch.

Make sure you don't leave your keys near the doors in the evening. That said I suspect its unlikely to be stolen as I can't see a high demand for them on the black market
Good advice about keys thanks and yes it’s probably lower down the list of prioritised cars to steal.

I do wonder about putting a wheel clamp on overnight just to slow them down and maybe dissuade them

Never leave anything on view (not even a coat as thieves may think it is covering something valuable).

A relatively cheap steering lock will deter many opportunist thieves. But it is very difficult to fully secure a car against determined thieves.

Try not to worry. In 40 years I have never had a car stolen. And if the worst happens, insurance will help cushion the blow.

There's a thread here in the recent past from a member who had two cars stolen from his driveway at once. Both were recovered by the police thanks to the "find my car" function. The MG4 was undamaged. You can find the thread for the details.

In that case the thieves broke into the house and stole the keys.

I suppose the snag on that one is if the car is hidden in a multistorey car park or somewhere else a signal can't reach it.

I've got the Stoplock Pro for mine. It just fits but you need to have it pointing downwards otherwise it sounds the horn.
Stoplock 1.jpg

It fits along side the centre console in the passenger foot well so its easy to get hold of.
Stoplock 2.jpg

My neighbour shared a video in neighbourhood watch group that their large expensive SUV with keyless entry (not MG) was taken. An A4 sized antena was carried by one man to porch while other man open car door and drive car away.

I keep both my MG car keys in tin boxes as protection. Tin box is a good Faraday cage for blocking radio signal. You can try to open your car door with your key in tin box.

Last edited:
How easy is it for the thieves to stop find my car app?

Put the car somewhere there is no signal. But that might not be so easy, and they wouldn't be able to take it out without the chance someone would check again and it would be found.

Read the thread I linked to to find out what happened.

I've got the Stoplock Pro for mine. It just fits but you need to have it pointing downwards otherwise it sounds the horn.
View attachment 18535
It fits along side the centre console in the passenger foot well so its easy to get hold of.
View attachment 18536
Just be careful storing that in the position it’s currently located - would be a remarkably heavy missile in the unfortunate event you were involved in a collision at any decent speed.

Never leave anything on view (not even a coat as thieves may think it is covering something valuable).

A relatively cheap steering lock will deter many opportunist thieves. But it is very difficult to fully secure a car against determined thieves.

Try not to worry. In 40 years I have never had a car stolen. And if the worst happens, insurance will help cushion the blow.
Just put a note in the window ,
This car has NO resale value.

I don’t wants to jinx myself for saying it, but who would want to steal a MG?
At least one person did....

At least one person did....
He lost keys. Car was recovered but not keys. It was not related to car security.

I know someone lost his car many years ago. He left his car key at hallway. Thieves broke into the house within one minute with no obvious damage on front door lock. They only took car key and left with car. The whole family was in the house. The incident was observed by a neightbour.

So it is important use a safe lock at house. Thieves may know where your car key is normally kept.

He lost keys. Car was recovered but not keys. It was not related to car security.

I know someone lost his car many years ago. He left his car key at hallway. Thieves broke into the house within one minute with no obvious damage on front door lock. They only took car key and left with car. The whole family was in the house. The incident was observed by a neightbour.

So it is important use a safe lock at house. Thieves may know where your car key is normally kept.
I was responding to the statement that no one would want to steal an MG rather than its security, so I'd drifted slightly off topic.

I have a work colleague who last summer treated himself to an Audi A6. In the first week of ownership he had a night out with friends, planning on staying in a hotel, so he parked there. They went to a bar and then back to the hotel where he found his car had gone. Investigation of CCTV showed 2 guys followed him (targeting the car) to the hotel and then one of them followed him to the bar. He got close and clearly scanned his keys in coat pocket as they entered the bar. It was simple for them then to enter and drive the A6 away. Since then, even tho I only own 2 MG EVs ("who would want to steal an MG?") all of our keys are in a faraday box, and we have faraday pouches for when we are out and about

I often thought why doesn't the manufacturer put a little on off switch on the side of the remote so when you are away from the car you can turn the remote off. My second remote is in a draw in the kitchen with its battery removed so if something happens and I need it the battery won't be flat.

I often thought why doesn't the manufacturer put a little on off switch on the side of the remote so when you are away from the car you can turn the remote off.
Agreed. My other car is a Merc, and if you press lock on the key twice in quick succesion, it turns the key off.

I keep the MG keys in old coffee tins made of thick metal - thin metal isn't good enough. You can test this by standing next to the car with the key in the tin, and try to open the car with the button on the handle.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back