I use a Faraday box to store the keys and have also etched the number plate into the car's windows as this makes it much harder/more expensive to change the car's identity and any mismatch would be obvious to dealers, MOT technicians, police...

I ordered this large pouch when I ordered my ZS EV for blocking car key radio signal.

The pouch works well if car key is inside of the inner layer compartment. It is large enough for 15cm/6" mobile phone. The delivery is much "faster" than car.

My neighbour have a steering wheel lock on their Audi A6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have thought even if they manage to get in and start the MG4 using a signal booster they probably wouldn't get far as it would say key not detected and when they come to a stop the car wouldn't move off again.

I'd have thought even if they manage to get in and start the MG4 using a signal booster they probably wouldn't get far as it would say key not detected and when they come to a stop the car wouldn't move off again.
True, I hadn't thought of that.

The problem is if they replace the control unit and therefore the key may no longer be needed

It's not just signal boosters to worry about, it's signal decrypters/cloning tools and signal spoofers.

Seen CCTV videos of 100k cars getting stolen by one man with an iPad/laptop and a signal receiver. It's pretty scary stuff.

Especially since most new cars above even a fairly low price bracket seem to be keyless these days.

I ordered this large porch when I ordered my ZS EV for blocking car key radio signal.

The porch works well if car key is inside of the inner layer compartment. It is large enough for 15cm/6" mobile phone. The delivery is much "faster" than car.

Oh, POUCH! I stared at that for ages wondering what you meant!

Once the car is put into ready mode and driven off they can use it as normal without the key as long as they want until they actually turn it off.

Download a TEMU App, loads of stuff to buy, obviously including faraday box or pouches.

Attachments

• IMG_3027.png
    IMG_3027.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
My next door neighbours have a big fancy Tesla. There are other smart-looking cars in the general neighbourhood too. I'll let the bad guys concentrate on them.

Tesla use a ‘PIN to drive’ system to guard against key cloning. I’m surprised it’s not standard on all cars with keyless entry.

Tesla use a ‘PIN to drive’ system to guard against key cloning. I’m surprised it’s not standard on all cars with keyless entry.
Yes there’s an option for the driver to enable PIN.
Have you ever been in the service centre? I once went in for warranty work, it already enable employees to drive your car without you handing them the keycard!!

Yes there’s an option for the driver to enable PIN.
Have you ever been in the service centre? I once went in for warranty work, it already enable employees to drive your car without you handing them the keycard!!
On the mg? I’ve not seen that mentioned before.

Hi all
Was led to the forum by a post from 2022 concerning key fob issues. As we have just got a MG4 Trophy ER I was wondering what the latest guidance for general security is. We have a krooklok and a Faraday pouch for both keys which are further stored in a metal tin. Is there any merit in the "double fob lock" method and how that might affect the anti-theft situation etc.?

With many thanks

"Double fob lock" as you say is recommended as the general Faraday pouches do tend to fails after a few months but of course this depends on quality and the price. So placing in a good metal tin is extra precaution however try just putting you keys in the tin (without the pouch) and see if the car doors will open as some metal tins still leak the signal. This way if the pouch fails then you know the tin works.
I use an old After Eights Mints Tin, looks good, works and also small enough to fit between our Ikea kitchen drawer trays.
The above works great if they try to amplify/relay attack, but also the steering wheel lock is a visual deterrent as well but some (again the cheaper end) can be pulled off with a bit of force.

Another thing to consider is to have your windows etched. Costs about £20 to have 6 windows done and according to Halfords, who have a vested interest in window etching, cars with etched windows are 45% less likely to be stolen and those that are are 50% more likely to be recovered.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back