Supparay

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hey there, new to forum. What is the MG4 EV SR real life range? I have the 51kwh battery version and believe the stated range is 218 miles? I don’t seem to get anywhere near that. More like 160-170 at best. I have a 60 mile commute round trip and this will sometimes bring the battery down to 65%. Does this seem overly bad? I’m trying to use Eco mode and not drive it like I stole it, use ACC etc.

When it’s cold and on the motorway I’d say that’s about right. Warmer and around town it ticks up. Weird things like rain reduce milage which you notice more than an ICE car in my experience.

I don’t use ACC and get slightly better but not much. Around town and lanes it’s better.

Wait for the warmer weather. I'm only seeing 145 to 160 miles range at 100% charge on the app in winter, but in summer I was seeing the stated range. The LFP battery is quite sensitive to temperature, more so than the NMC in the other models.

Have a read through this thread, there is discussion of the issue.

In summer if I drove to Glasgow (just under 50 miles) I would invariably arrive on 75% charge, but this weather it's more like 65%.

20000 miles in now, and am getting to know the car very well now - you'll get 150miles in winter, and 200 miles in summer. Importantly the range left is very accurate in the last 20% (at least on a long run) - never ran out of charge yet, but have been down to 1% on a few occasions now, as know you can go that low, and lift off if its getting close - I always only ever use MFG or Tesla, if can help it as know that they will be working and have capacity.

Interestingly my guessometer is now saying 211 miles, at 100% charge (Today 18th Feb.), but is almost near what it was when new (218 is the most ive seen). I do wonder if 5% degredation in the battery (which other members seem to be reporting) after a year is really the correct estimate.

1708254469595.png

As an SR owner, it is very much down to how you drive it. Last summer I was averaging over 4.5 miles/kWh, peaking at 4.9. And this winter averaging 3.5 miles/kWh.
And I always have the regeneration set to High.
Both are a mix of town and motorways

To be honest I have not found a big difference between Normal and Eco modes and usually drive in Normal for the simple reason I don't have to reset it.
Obviously if you drive with a heavy right foot the range will drop a bit.

For me having HVAC on and some motorway driving I'm getting around 175 to 180 miles. In the warmer months without HVAC on I was getting 210 to 230.
That is normal.

I'm currently seeing estimated range around 210-220 miles at 100% and averaging around 4 - 4.5 miles/kwh on recent drives (that's up to London and back on a real mix of roads). Seems to have nudged up a bit this last week with warmer weather.

That's driving sensibly with a light right foot, though wouldn't necessarily say it's slow, just being mindful of inputs to throttle, brake, timing etc

Current state:
1708333843291.png

Importantly the range left is very accurate in the last 20% (at least on a long run) - never ran out of charge yet, but have been down to 1% on a few occasions now, as know you can go that low, and lift off if its getting close.

I wanted to say something about this, because it's absolutely true, IF you treat your car properly.

There are various tales of woe on YouTube of people getting into trouble because their car's GOM suddenly dropped as they were getting close to empty, landing them right in it. (Including two separate incidents that happened to Andrew "Mr EV" Till two years apart in the same car!) A recent review of the SE SR blamed the car for doing the same thing, and indeed in the second part of the review the presenter simply said "never drive this car below 10%, even 20%, it's dangerous."

He made it sound as if you would damage the battery or something if you did that. I queried it in the comments, and apparently the reason was that the car was liable to report a sudden loss of range and leave you stranded. I can categorically confirm that this is NOT true. I've driven my car down to 4% on one occasion and below 10% on several more, and it has always behaved exactly as I'd have predicted.

The explanation seems to be that the reviewer had been given a press car that had been repeatedly charged on rapid chargers and hadn't had its pack balanced for some time - if at all. The balance charge is really important for the LFP battery because its discharge curve is extremely flat in the middle, and it finds it very difficult to estimate range from SoC. Only at the top and bottom is the curve a real curve, giving the car a chance to figure it out.

So if a car has been run up and down repeatedly in the flat part in the middle of the curve, it will completely lose track of where it is. Then if it's driven fairly low, suddenly it reaches the section where it can actually see where it is, and sometimes that's a bit of a shock. The car will re-calibrate, and it looks as if it's suddenly dropped a lot of range and you can't trust it.

If you let the car go to 100% and sit there for half an hour to balance every time you AC charge, they recommend at least once a week, you will not experience this problem. It is also recommended every few months (they say three to six months) to run the battery right down under 10% then do a single AC charge all the way to 100% and balance. That lets the car see the full range of the battery and ensures that the GOM is guessing correctly.

I left a similar comment under one the latest videos by ‘Dave takes it on’ where he was discouraging charging to 100% or go below 20% ever.
I advised that some BMS need to see less than 10% every so often, and LFP equalisation only happens at 100%

Might have been the same video where I flat-out told him that I preferred to follow Euan McTurk's advice. He got all huffy and said he wasn't issuing instructions, everyone was free to follow whatever advice they wanted. Sure. But that was really begging the question. Why should we choose to follow his advice rather than the advice of one of the foremost electrochemist battery experts in the country?

He was getting back to telling people that LFP batteries, as with NMC, shouldn't be charged to 100% unless necessary, shouldn't be left at 100%, because even if it's less of a problem than with NMC it will still cause degradation. Euan McTurk is adamant that it won't.

I left a comment under the latest PlugLife episode (nice to see a new episode at last!) that maybe he he could do a video specifically on the care and feeding of the LFP battery, since there seems to be a fair bit of misinformation going around.

Hey there, new to forum. What is the MG4 EV SR real life range? I have the 51kwh battery version and believe the stated range is 218 miles? I don’t seem to get anywhere near that. More like 160-170 at best. I have a 60 mile commute round trip and this will sometimes bring the battery down to 65%. Does this seem overly bad? I’m trying to use Eco mode and not drive it like I stole it, use ACC etc.
SR, 23,000 miles. 4+ miles KW/h summer, 3 winter.

Hopefully you charge at home on Go or Intelligent Go? turn the heater on and accept it gets better soon (and it's still pretty good now at 3m/KWh).

Oh, ignore the GOM, 2 miles per % summer and 1.5 now.

Good luck

I have the same car and easily get a range of 225 miles, even in February. I must have a very light right foot, however I rarely exceed 60 mph. I have eco on at all times and driving set to comfort and maximum regen.

(I wish I had taken a photo to prove this, but) yesterday I had 49% SOC and the range showed 115 miles. This is not unusual, but I do live in East Anglia which is not exactly hilly! I am getting 4.5-4.8 mls per kWh, in summer, 5.2.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back