MG4 First Impressions...err Foibles

I like this simple feature automated and working reliably as it has been on every car I’ve owned in the last 30 years. It annoys me that MG can’t get such a simple thing right. I do know there are owners such as yourself who are fine with it.
Yes it should work, and perhaps it does work better on later cars for some other reason, I haven't really noticed mine switching on/off that much when it auto mode. It definitely does do it.

You are right to want everything to work but being an early adopter is always going to have its risks.

Yes it should work, and perhaps it does work better on later cars for some other reason, I haven't really noticed mine switching on/off that much when it auto mode. It definitely does do it.

You are right to want everything to work but being an early adopter is always going to have its risks.
I agree re the early adopter but I think there should be an expectation that 6 months in they may have figured out the issues.
Just as well @Crawfyp has a decent dealer, with all the hassles I can only imagine how much more grief a poor dealer would have added.

I agree re the early adopter but I think there should be an expectation that 6 months in they may have figured out the issues.
Just as well @Crawfyp has a decent dealer, with all the hassles I can only imagine how much more grief a poor dealer would have added.
It seems like they have in the factory but have somewhat forgotten about the early cars. That is poor customer service.

I would wait 2 years after a car is first delivered to get something properly debugged - from any manufacturer - there are a ton of examples of major things taking that long to get resolved.

If my dealer hadn't fixed a problem after that many attempts, then however nice and helpful they are I'd want to try another just in case it is a lack of knowledge available elsewhere. I had that before once, local dealer couldn't diagnose an ignition fault with a Renault 19, tried loads of times, went to another dealer and their tech instantly knew what the issue was, sorted in 5 mins. Now there is less with an EV that the dealer can do, but still, worth trying everything I would have thought.

being an early adopter is always going to have its risks.

Is this for me or others? Coz I knew that also guv 😉

I never expected everything to work, I knew there would be glitches.

My dealer is definitely not the issue

Is this for me or others? Coz I knew that also guv 😉

I never expected everything to work, I knew there would be glitches.

My dealer is definitely not the issue
Don't think it was an unfair expectation for most things to work though, especially now 6 months in

If my dealer hadn't fixed a problem after that many attempts, then however nice and helpful they are I'd want to try another just in case it is a lack of knowledge available elsewhere
My dealer logs the software faults with MG, a certain time later, could be a week, could be 2 depending on when MG feel like responding we may get an answer. Sometimes an update will fix the issue eg the driver awareness debacle that’s now solved. Sometimes it doesn’t solve the issue or sometimes makes it worse (eg. LKA used to switch off and stay off). Sometimes MG say that this feature is “not supported currently” (pre heating when plugged in and not charging) and decline to give any info on when or if it will ever be “supported”

My opinion is that this is not the fault of my dealer, it is the fault of MG so I don’t feel changing dealer is the answer.

Back to that well know issue of MG UK dealer back up and customer support being useless as usual.

They have a good product but couldn't care less, after all they just sell the dealers the cars, absolute joke, zero support.
They have seen a couple of the umpteen different car of the year awards coming (it's like being a world champion in boxing there are 4 or 5 at each weight) and are now believing their own press, when they had an opportunity to really move the brand forward with the 4

Back to that well know issue of MG UK dealer back up and customer support being useless as usual

This is what riles me @Leni16 - I've been fortunate to have had many nice cars. If ever I had an issue with a car that the dealer was having trouble fixing I didn't have to find another dealer, I would get in touch with corporate customer care and it would be sorted. We don't have that option with MG, well we do but in name only. I am not saying the name, not a smart move.

This is what riles me @Leni16 - I've been fortunate to have had many nice cars. If ever I had an issue with a car that the dealer was having trouble fixing I didn't have to find another dealer, I would get in touch with corporate customer care and it would be sorted. We don't have that option with MG, well we do but in name only. I am not saying the name, not a smart move.
I know what you mean, I read about an update for my car that was meant to be done at pdi, it was missed I rang Renault customer care they gave me the option of taking it to two local dealers, they arranged it and sorted my car getting picked up and dropped off at my work, I also got a £150 voucher for Renault as an act of good faith re the inconvenience.

Its a real shame, these issues have guaranteed that I will never buy another MG. I'm just glad I got it on PCP on the bow wave of good deals. At least I can hand it back at the end and walk away and leave it for the bank to deal with if it is worth nothing.

I worked in software devlopment and testing for 12 years, I know what goes into it, I know how tedious code review is. However, doing these things, alongside robust hardware integration testing means that you get a solid and stable product.

I should have bought the Fiat 500e instead.

Its a real shame, these issues have guaranteed that I will never buy another MG. I'm just glad I got it on PCP on the bow wave of good deals. At least I can hand it back at the end and walk away and leave it for the bank to deal with if it is worth nothing.

I worked in software devlopment and testing for 12 years, I know what goes into it, I know how tedious code review is. However, doing these things, alongside robust hardware integration testing means that you get a solid and stable product.

I should have bought the Fiat 500e instead.

Remember with PCP the car is yours and you’re free to sell at any time (as long as you settle the finance)
Just saying you’re not stuck with the car for X years like a lease.
If I hadn’t been able to reject mine the next option was only keeping it as long as it took to reach break even point with the finance.

Remember with PCP the car is yours and you’re free to sell at any time (as long as you settle the finance)
Just saying you’re not stuck with the car for X years like a lease.
If I hadn’t been able to reject mine the next option was only keeping it as long as it took to reach break even point with the finance.
Voluntary termination is also possible if you've paid half the contract value - I imagine nobody has yet with an MG4 - although this might prejudice future PCP deals.

Just posting this for anyone unaware, I agree early settlement is a better option if you can.

I think he might mean after getting in. On my MG4 it boots up into ready when you sit in the seat and starts running the heating. If you switch on the heated seats and wheel it turns them on, but, when you put your foot on the brake to start the car they turn off again.

It is slightly irritating when you forget the correct order and have to turn them on again.
I'm pretty sure this also happens with the hated Drive Assist - I have had the experience of getting in the car, going through the 3-step malarkey to turn the bloody thing off, then pulling out onto the road and realising it's %^£*^ on again!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back