MG4 first service charging issues

retrobloke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All
Just had first service on MG4. Charging seems to be worse. Doesn’t seem to matter where I charge it stops at 97% and charges of 214 to last charge 258. Has anyone had same issues after a service??
Is it possible software upgrade has caused issues?
Any help would be gladly received.

Not approached MG, just wondered if I posted the issue there may be other people with similar issues that could help!!!!!!!
The point is these are low charging figures even at 258 miles. Pre service it was up around 280 miles

Not approached MG, just wondered if I posted the issue there may be other people with similar issues that could help!!!!!!!
The point is these are low charging figures even at 258 miles. Pre service it was up around 280 miles

I think I understand what your saying, so previously you have charged to 100% with no issues.

Then after your service you have charged to 97% and the car has displayed 214 & 258 miles ?

If you can confirm this then I maybe able to offer some help

Thanks

Post service the car stops charging at 97% (doesn’t get to 100%) where ever I charge it. The last 3 charges at various chargers have been 214, 240 and 258.

What have you got the charge to stop at in the MG4 on the infotainment charging screen?

Post service the car stops charging at 97% (doesn’t get to 100%) where ever I charge it. The last 3 charges at various chargers have been 214, 240 and 258.

I think part of the problem may be that your profile says you're driving an SE SR, but the issues you're describing all seem to relate to one of the long range versions. Maybe a default assignation that needs to be changed?

Currently I would be impressed with a range of 258 on my Trophy LR, only getting approx 220 but it has been cold these last few months

Reading between the lines I think you are charging your car on fast DC chargers and not at home on an AC charger.
When was the last time you charged your car on a slow AC charger and let it do a balance charge?

Reading between the lines I think you are charging your car on fast DC chargers and not at home on an AC charger.
When was the last time you charged your car on a slow AC charger and let it do a balance charge?

Good spot, I think you could be right

If that's the issue he probably needs to run the car down to below 10% then charge it all the way to 100% and balance on an AC charger to let the cells sort themselves out.

Thanks everyone for messages. I have been doing a few DC charges recently. Most charges on done at home charger. If I charge at 100% on home charger will that achieve a balance charge?

Yes, so long as you leave the car plugged in until it's finished doing that.

There was some discussion about certain home chargers that would terminate the charge when the power draw dropped right down, rather than let the car finish. You might check in case that's happening.

Thanks everyone for messages. I have been doing a few DC charges recently. Most charges on done at home charger. If I charge at 100% on home charger will that achieve a balance charge?
Yes. You will need to leave it connected after it reaches 100% for it to perform the balance charge which might take anything from 20 minutes to an hour.
While it does this it will only be drawing a few watts.

Once you've run the battery down to 10% could you charge back up to say 90% on the DC then swap over to AC for the last bit to balance?

I don't think so. The manual says all the way on a "slow" charger, which we interpret to mean an AC charger. Also, people have also pointed out that you should leave it low for a wee while (an hour or two) to let the car get a good look at the low SoC before starting to charge.

I've started running mine down for its third go at this, although it will take a fair few days, especially since the weather has suddenly got a lot warmer and I'm suddenly seeing miles/kwh numbers I literally haven't been near since September. My Zappi and solar are due to be fitted in two weeks and I thought maybe wait till I have faster AC charging available, but considering the complications some people talk about with these systems, maybe better do it the simple way this time and learn gradually. Also, I want to do it before I set off on that long road trip in three weeks, to make sure the GOM is as accurate as possible.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back