MG4 - First UK dealer hands on photos and specifications

Ha fingers crossed for us then! Having watched some video reviews including whatcar who had a blue SE im not regretting my choice at all as it stands. Can't wait! Extra range would be bonus but not essential but much as i would have probably just gone trophy if money was no object honestly its only the camera and front sensors id actually be interested in and that alone is not worth 3k.
My sentiments exactly.👍

Hopefully I’m the other “black sheep” then (same dealer - ordered last weekend), I went for the SE short range, for the LFP battery / value also.
I agree with you about selecting one with an LFP battery. It's a pity the whole range doesn't use it instead of the Lithium/Cobalt type. The LFP may have lower power (range) than the LC but whereas the the LC degrades when regularly charged beyond 80% the LFP can be charged to 100% as often as you like without the same degradation as the LC. So, the LFP compensates for its lower specific power by being able to use its full potential. Company car drivers don't really care about battery degradation since they don't own the car and get an automatic new car after 3 years or so provided by their company. Private owners who want to keep the same car with LC batteries long term need to get up to speed on battery technology. The same applies to buying a second hand car with LC batteries especially if it is an ex company car. There's more to car selection than what it looks like in the showroom. Just saying because general knowledge of electric cars is in its early stage and there is plenty to learn. 😁

Nice one Les.

unfortunately, they say “Do the math” now 😁
Actually Harry this side of the Atlantic we say maths to cover a calculation and the subject of mathematics. Math is commonly used in the USA and Canada probably for both calc and subject. Let's continue with maths, vive la difference! 😁

Actually Harry this side of the Atlantic we say maths to cover a calculation and the subject of mathematics. Math is commonly used in the USA and Canada probably for both calc and subject. Let's continue with maths, vive la difference! 😁
😊👍

What are the servicing costs? I see that BYD in New Zealand and Australia have set really high costs. I can’t see why servicing costs for an EV should be high, there is literally nothing to service except for coolant but that’s after quite a few yrs.

What are the servicing costs? I see that BYD in New Zealand and Australia have set really high costs. I can’t see why servicing costs for an EV should be high, there is literally nothing to service except for coolant but that’s after quite a few yrs.
You need to think carefully also about the BYD guarantee which might seem long but I understand from the Electric Viking that they have quite a list of items which aren't guaranteed. No, servicing costs for electric cars should be lower than petrol/diesel versions. I'm thinking that maybe BYD have raised their service charge to help their dealers make as much or more profit from selling BYD electric cars to the entice them to push the electric car sales (and/or become BYD dealers) which has not been a priority for dealers unless they are exclusively electric car dealers I suspect.

What are the servicing costs? I see that BYD in New Zealand and Australia have set really high costs. I can’t see why servicing costs for LV should be high, there is literally nothing to service except for coolant buts that’s after quite a few yrs.
That would depend on what sort of milage you do and if you have a home EVSE and cheap overnight tariff.
I’m completely new to Ev’s so excuse my ignorance! Am I correct in thinking that if I get a 7kw home charger and use my electricity supplier(octopus) overnight cheap rate at 7.5p kwh which is limited to 4 hrs, I would get 28kwh charge for just £2.10? Thus giving me around 100 miles?

You need to think carefully also about the BYD guarantee which might seem long but I understand from the Electric Viking that they have quite a list of items which aren't guaranteed. No, servicing costs for electric cars should be lower than petrol/diesel versions. I'm thinking that maybe BYD have raised their service charge to help their dealers make as much or more profit from selling BYD electric cars to the entice them to push the electric car sales (and/or become BYD dealers) which has not been a priority for dealers unless they are exclusively electric car dealers I suspect.
What are MG dealers charging for current MG Ev’s?

Am I correct in thinking that if I get a 7kw home charger and use my electricity supplier(octopus) overnight cheap rate at 7.5p kwh which is limited to 4 hrs, I would get 28kwh charge for just £2.10? Thus giving me around 100 miles?
That's exactly how it works for me on my MG5 SR.

What are the servicing costs? I see that BYD in New Zealand and Australia have set really high costs. I can’t see why servicing costs for LV should be high, there is literally nothing to service except for coolant buts that’s after quite a few yrs.

I’m completely new to Ev’s so excuse my ignorance! Am I correct in thinking that if I get a 7kw home charger and use my electricity supplier(octopus) overnight cheap rate at 7.5p kwh which is limited to 4 hrs, I would get 28kwh charge for just £2.10? Thus giving me around 100 miles?
Very roughly speaking, yes.

The big question is whether the cheap overnight rate remains. I'm hoping it does, as that's what I've been basing the economics of moving to an EV on, but if it's removed and you're looking at 60p+ / kWh based on the price cap, I'll be keeping the 12 yr old ICE for another 10 years or so!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know 😂, it’s why I said unfortunately :)

Very roughly speaking, yes.

The big question is whether the cheap overnight rate remains. I'm hoping it does, as that's what I've been basing the economics of moving to an EV on, but if it's removed and you're looking at 60p+ / kw based on the price cap, I'll be keeping the 12 yr old ICE for another 10 years or so!
I’m in the same boat, I’ve had my A3 from new and is now 10yrs old (been a great car, no problems at all). So do I go Ev and then find it costs more to run or stick with petrol which by and large has remained stable cost wise? The RAC are now saying it costs more to run an EV but they are using 86p / kWh to arrive at that assumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in the same boat, I’ve had my A3 from new and is now 10yrs old (been a great car, no problems at all). So do I go Ev and then find it costs more to run or stick with petrol which by and large has remained stable cost wise? The RAC are now saying it costs more to run an EV but they are using 86p kWh to arrive at that assumption.
I hear what you are saying, money wise keeping petrol is presently smarter for a lot of people due to the lower cost of initial purchase. It was the same with diesel years ago.

However if everything was done on cost we'd all have a Dacia Sandero. There are lots of plus points to driving an EV and I for one wouldn't go back even if more expensive.

I hear what you are saying, money wise keeping petrol is presently smarter for a lot of people due to the lower cost of initial purchase. It was the same with diesel years ago.

However if everything was done on cost we'd all have a Dacia Sandero. There are lots of plus points to driving an EV and I for one wouldn't go back even if more expensive.
I'd just like to add that the advantage of an EV, if you live in a traffic clogged city, is that they do not add to the toxic exhausts produced by ICE cars which has to be better for the health of city dwellers and their kids. Yes, there'd have to be a heck of a lot more EVs replacing ICE cars to make a difference to air quality in cities but this is behind the creation of clean air zones. Just saying before we forget what it's really all about, not actually to reduce motoring costs which it typically doesn't due to the higher cost of EVs in the first place. If you can afford the higher cost of an EV and live/drive in cities then get one, they're also great to drive.

I'd just like to add that the advantage of an EV, if you live in a traffic clogged city, is that they do not add to the toxic exhausts produced by ICE cars which has to be better for the health of city dwellers and their kids. Yes, there'd have to be a heck of a lot more EVs replacing ICE cars to make a difference to air quality in cities but this is behind the creation of clean air zones. Just saying before we forget what it's really all about, not actually to reduce motoring costs which it typically doesn't due to the higher cost of EVs in the first place. If you can afford the higher cost of an EV and live/drive in cities then get one, they're also great to drive.
Considering our city has just binned off its plans for a clean air zone because people moaned, I'm not sure changing a 1.2l petrol to an EV is going to make much difference compared to the HGVs, vans, buses, taxis etc belching out diesel fumes.

I'd like a new car, as we've had this one about 7 years, and the economics of an EV currently works, with tax breaks and ability to charge cheaply overnight. It's likely the tax benefits will start to be eroded from 2025, especially if the ban on new ICE cars remains, but the cost of electric is the key one. Haven't seen what the new price cap will mean for unit prices, as they only quote the average annual cost, but if it is 80% higher than current, that will mean about 50p per kWh. As long as the overnight tariffs remain, that's fine, but if they were to go as well, and I can't see how you can charge 7.5p if break even is not much less than 50p, then the economics become seriously stretched, taking into account the additional purchase cost, especially compared to a nearly new ICE (and I'm expecting to see a lot of them hit the market soon when people realise they can no longer afford their car lease)

Considering our city has just binned off its plans for a clean air zone because people moaned, I'm not sure changing a 1.2l petrol to an EV is going to make much difference compared to the HGVs, vans, buses, taxis etc belching out diesel fumes.

I'd like a new car, as we've had this one about 7 years, and the economics of an EV currently works, with tax breaks and ability to charge cheaply overnight. It's likely the tax benefits will start to be eroded from 2025, especially if the ban on new ICE cars remains, but the cost of electric is the key one. Haven't seen what the new price cap will mean for unit prices, as they only quote the average annual cost, but if it is 80% higher than current, that will mean about 50p per kWh. As long as the overnight tariffs remain, that's fine, but if they were to go as well, and I can't see how you can charge 7.5p if break even is not much less than 50p, then the economics become seriously stretched, taking into account the additional purchase cost, especially compared to a nearly new ICE (and I'm expecting to see a lot of them hit the market soon when people realise they can no longer afford their car lease)
Yes, the situation in Manchester is a bit of a mess and that's not only the air quality. The costs of entering the proposed clean air zone was going to be high, up to £60 or so if you were driving a truck, or so I hear. It's no surprise that it seems to have been delayed or maybe changed to an incentive scheme to promote EVs paid for by general taxes (equally harmful). The current economic situation is bad enough without adding to driving costs. We need to wait and see how general inflation including desperately high increases in energy costs pan out over the coming months, perhaps dare I say, holding off that new car purchase to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot financially.

Hopefully I’m the other “black sheep” then (same dealer - ordered last weekend), I went for the SE short range, for the LFP battery / value also.

Same here, going for SE Standard range for the sheer value. I have even ordered one in White, playing it safe...I know!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back