MG4 front USBs

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all,
With the USB-C & USB-A in the front of the MG4, Do they both allow data transfer or is one (which one) just for charging only. I only ask as I don't have Spotify or Amazon music and I currently use a slimline USB-A flash drive with a load of music on it. I can then access the music through AUX in my current cars infotainment system. So does android auto have to be in a certain socket and does the spare allow data transfer? If Android Auto goes in the USB-A socket, I can get an Type C to Type A adapter that my flash drive could connect too. If that makes sense.
Ta......Mark

Hi all,
With the USB-C & USB-A in the front of the MG4, Do they both allow data transfer or is one (which one) just for charging only. I only ask as I don't have Spotify or Amazon music and I currently use a slimline USB-A flash drive with a load of music on it. I can then access the music through AUX in my current cars infotainment system. So does android auto have to be in a certain socket and does the spare allow data transfer? If Android Auto goes in the USB-A socket, I can get an Type C to Type A adapter that my flash drive could connect too. If that makes sense.
Ta......Mark
Both support USB data but only the USB-A is android auto

I'll use the usb-c for my flash drive in the adapter attached and then charge phone and Android Auto through usb-a.

Attachments

• usb adapter.jpg
    usb adapter.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 71
And for media files
Ok. So just to be clear for me. When I get my car.
I will need to use a USB A lead to connect with my android phone in order to use Android Auto in order to use the MG app iSmart?
That being the case, what type of media files would I use a USB C lead for?
Sorry if this sounds a really dim question.

I will need to use a USB A lead to connect with my android phone in order to use Android Auto in order to use the MG app iSmart?
If you have videos or music files on a usb stick

The iSMART app has nothing to do with Android Auto or the USB sockets. :)

Understood.
But in the case of the SE version, to connect my android phone to the car so as to be able to use AA or the iSmart app, I will need to do the using a USB A lead.... and not a USB C lead.
I am asking this so I know what leads I will need to use when I get my car.

I'll say it again ... the iSMART app has nothing to do with USB. Pair your phone via Bluetooth, install iSMART and create an account, then scan the QR code to bind the car to the account. (See the Tips thread for how to get to the QR code).

Yes - you'll need a USB A (at the car end) cable to use AA with your Android phone (see photos at link below, to show what I've done). This applies for all the models - SE and Trophy. (The Trophy supports wireless charging, but not wireless AA/CP).

I'll say it again ... the iSMART app has nothing to do with USB. Pair your phone via Bluetooth, install iSMART and create an account, then scan the QR code to bind the car to the account. (See the Tips thread for how to get to the QR code).

Yes - you'll need a USB A (at the car end) cable to use AA with your Android phone (see photos at link below, to show what I've done). This applies for all the models - SE and Trophy. (The Trophy supports wireless charging, but not wireless AA/CP).

Thank you and I must apologise for my lack of understanding. But I now do understand what I will need to do.

Hi Siteguru - just a quick question I have a standard usb to iPhone 8 lead permanently plugged into the left port for iPhone AA and a small ultra flash drive that has all my music with a usb c adapter plugged into the right one. Just wondering if there is a conflict of interest when both being used - I sometimes have have radio freeze when the music is plugged in

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back