MG4 front USBs

Just for Info.....I fitted a small plug in LED to the USB-C port and noticed it is live even when all locked up. Light stays on all the time?
DD2D28DF-56BB-49A6-8532-BFD8186FF1D6.jpeg

I'll say it again ... the iSMART app has nothing to do with USB. Pair your phone via Bluetooth, install iSMART and create an account, then scan the QR code to bind the car to the account. (See the Tips thread for how to get to the QR code).

Yes - you'll need a USB A (at the car end) cable to use AA with your Android phone (see photos at link below, to show what I've done). This applies for all the models - SE and Trophy. (The Trophy supports wireless charging, but not wireless AA/CP).

Siteguru.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have paired my phone to the car and ismart is working ok.
But I seem to have a problem with android auto.
I have tried a couple of USB cables. And I have installed android auto on my android phone.
It says android auto will be ready next time you connect.
But when I disconnect and reconnect my phone with the cable and press the android auto symbol on the screen, nothing happens.
Is there anything you can recommend I try.
Thank you in advance.

Siteguru.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have paired my phone to the car and ismart is working ok.
But I seem to have a problem with android auto.
I have tried a couple of USB cables. And I have installed android auto on my android phone.
It says android auto will be ready next time you connect.
But when I disconnect and reconnect my phone with the cable and press the android auto symbol on the screen, nothing happens.
Is there anything you can recommend I try.
Thank you in advance.
When you plug the lead into your phone a pop up should appear on the phone where you can choose what to use USB for, on my OPPO the second option is for Android Auto.
If you don't get this popup have a look in the settings under connection & sharing, the Android Auto settings are in there and let you connect a car for the first time.

Thank you mate. I will try that.
When I go into the car screen settings, there is a USB Storage icon. Even though I have the phone connected via the cable to the car and the phone is being changed, the infotainment screen, which shows USB 1 and USB 2, says USB not connected to both.
Does that make sense to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably need to go out to the car to check - but in my case it all just worked. What phone do you have, and did it come natively with Android 9+? (From A9 then AA was built-in to the OS rather than being a separate app. My phone came originally with A8 so had a separate app - when it updated to A9 it kept the separate app, as expected).

I do know that some people have had issues with cables, needing to try a few before they got one that worked properly. There's a thread linked from Tips (from memory) which goes over this in greater detail. (We even had that recently with Mrs. Guru's Dacia Sandero ... the cable in the car worked fine with my Moto G8 Plus (and her old phone) and AA, but it wouldn't work with her new Moto G62. We tried a different cable and all was OK).

I'd probably need to go out to the car to check - but in my case it all just worked. What phone do you have, and did it come natively with Android 9+? (From A9 then AA was built-in to the OS rather than being a separate app. My phone came originally with A8 so had a separate app - when it updated to A9 it kept the separate app, as expected).

I do know that some people have had issues with cables, needing to try a few before they got one that worked properly. There's a thread linked from Tips (from memory) which goes over this in greater detail. (We even had that recently with Mrs. Guru's Dacia Sandero ... the cable in the car worked fine with my Moto G8 Plus (and her old phone) and AA, but it wouldn't work with her new Moto G62. We tried a different cable and all was OK).
Thanks again for help. I have a Motorola G7 power which is to android 10 standard. And android auto app is something like 8.6 which I have just updated from google play.
Any advice you can give would be great appreciated as, despite my age, I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks again for help. I have a Motorola G7 power which is to android 10 standard. And android auto app is something like 8.6 which I have just updated from google play.
Any advice you can give would be great appreciated as, despite my age, I have tried everything I can think of.
Check your phone's USB preferences settings

Check your phone's USB preferences settings
The only one which was not greyed out was USB debugging so I have enabled that because it was off. Have to say that I don't know whether this was the right or wrong thing to do. But can change it back to off if necessary

Hi, I have an EV4 and when I have the usb plugged quickly on start up or left plugged in it doesn't recognise the device. Any tips on this please ? Because otherwise I have to unplug and plug back in again

Is this in relation to the USB A or the USB C socket?

I have to say that I've left USB sticks plugged into both on mine and they've been recognised. I have all my music on a stick that's permanently plugged in to the USB C socket and it always recognises it.

I have an official apple usb C to usb C charger cable for my iPhone 15 and it’s does absolutely nothing what a waste of a port, will need to purchase either a usb A to usb C converter or just buy a usb A to usb C charger cable 🙈🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi Siteguru - just a quick question I have a standard usb to iPhone 8 lead permanently plugged into the left port for iPhone AA and a small ultra flash drive that has all my music with a usb c adapter plugged into the right one. Just wondering if there is a conflict of interest when both being used - I sometimes have have radio freeze when the music is plugged in
I run an iPhone 11 from the USB A and a USB A memory stick through a converter on the USB C not noticed any conflicts. Just sometimes after stopping/starting the car you get the music going into pause (same as the radio does)

Is this in relation to the USB A or the USB C socket?

I have to say that I've left USB sticks plugged into both on mine and they've been recognised. I have all my music on a stick that's permanently plugged in to the USB C socket and it always recognises it.
Hi.
I collected my MG 4 on Saturday and have a small card reader plugged in to the usb c input in the centre console. It's got a 64g. Micro SD card in it which has probably 32gb of music files on it (MP3 or flac mostly). The usb music player finds the music but doesn't allow shuffle. Can you give me pointers to how you got yours to work please? Thanks.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back