MG4 Insurance Issues

I was dreading something like that happening to us. I tried to get a quote from Hastings online but it kept saying "reg number not found". I ended up doing the live chat help and after going through the car details they informed me that I would be getting a £60 refund as it was cheaper to insure than my 2014 LEAF. This makes the premium about £200 for the year. I still can't believe it.

I was dreading something like that happening to us. I tried to get a quote from Hastings online but it kept saying "reg number not found". I ended up doing the live chat help and after going through the car details they informed me that I would be getting a £60 refund as it was cheaper to insure than my 2014 LEAF. This makes the premium about £200 for the year. I still can't believe it.
... thankfully it is all now settling down, I paid a bit more for the last few months as had a onging policy to swap the MG4 onto, but just going through renewal in the next month, for a 50+ couple in rural area insurance is £200-£300 for an MG4, whereas the equivalent priced diesel (other car is a VW T-Roc) is about £100 less

Don’t even think of contacting Aviva if your new MG4 has not yet been registered.

I used Go Compare and followed the link to Aviva. Quoted about £420. Website says no problem if you do not know the registration number. It’s actually a big problem as they will quote but you cannot buy. There’s no way to contact Aviva to speak to a human when going through a price comparison site.

I have other Aviva products so logged onto their portal and requested a quote which was about £650!! As an Aviva customer I was able to call them. They confirmed they could issue the policy without the registration number. They refused to match the cheaper quote Via Go Compare.

I went back to Go Compare which suggested Quote Me Happy. I followed the link and bought the insurance without any issue. The absurdity is that Quote Me Happy is owned by Aviva.

I shall use this insurance so that I am insured when I collect my car next week. I’ll then seriously consider cancelling and going elsewhere. For me Aviva is a money grabbing unhelpful and unethical organisation. Avoid them. And certainly don’t waste your time if your car has not been registered

Don’t even think of contacting Aviva if your new MG4 has not yet been registered.

I used Go Compare and followed the link to Aviva. Quoted about £420. Website says no problem if you do not know the registration number. It’s actually a big problem as they will quote but you cannot buy. There’s no way to contact Aviva to speak to a human when going through a price comparison site.

I have other Aviva products so logged onto their portal and requested a quote which was about £650!! As an Aviva customer I was able to call them. They confirmed they could issue the policy without the registration number. They refused to match the cheaper quote Via Go Compare.

I went back to Go Compare which suggested Quote Me Happy. I followed the link and bought the insurance without any issue. The absurdity is that Quote Me Happy is owned by Aviva.

I shall use this insurance so that I am insured when I collect my car next week. I’ll then seriously consider cancelling and going elsewhere. For me Aviva is a money grabbing unhelpful and unethical organisation. Avoid them. And certainly don’t waste your time if your car has not been registered
I got a quote from Aviva through their portal too as I also have other policies with them. They quoted me £371 without knowing the registration number.

I got a quote from Aviva through their portal too as I also have other policies with them. They quoted me £371 without knowing the registration number.
They will quote without a registration number (or with a registration number that the dealer has given you but not yet formally registered) but you cannot buy their insurance until their system recognises the registration number. If a new car is only registered on collection day it can take a few days for registrations to pass through the DVLA and onto insurance company systems. This means it is very difficult to get Aviva insurance through comparison websites in time to collect a new car.

They will quote without a registration number (or with a registration number that the dealer has given you but not yet formally registered) but you cannot buy their insurance until their system recognises the registration number. If a new car is only registered on collection day it can take a few days for registrations to pass through the DVLA and onto insurance company systems. This means it is very difficult to get Aviva insurance through comparison websites in time to collect a new car.
..... the DVLA its still neverthless pretty quick, as its all electronic (usually within 24hrs) - the v5c almost came the next day or so also. The slow bit is the insurance companies (certainly was 3 months ago for myself (and others)), as the insurance companies only recognise a brand new car model, on the 1st of each month... so in my case although I was insured it took until 1st Dec, until the insurance was fully recognised (and correct!, mine was put down as a ZS to start with?- well thats what it said on askmid, and has now only recently been updated, when I contacted them of the discrepancy)

MG insurance are happy to provide 5 days on insurance, I understand not MG UK don't so this causes a bit of confusion. Though most insurance companies now have the 4 listed now, so long as you get the correct manufacturer from the list i.e. MG UK not MG.
Your specific car registration shouldn't need to be visible to get insurance, though you may need to talk to a human if this is the case.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 525 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back