MG4 is a huge leap forward

MG4 64kw SE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
We have driven various EVs for the last 6 years. The MG4 is an amazing step forward for a number of reasons. Reasonable price (we paid 28.5 for SE long range). Great size - smallish family hatchback but roomy for passengers. Efficient - we are now regularly getting 5+ m/kw on local journeys. It charges fast - our recent 650 trip across France was a doddle, takes 25 mins to charge. It handles really well. The range is ample for any of our needs - I would say 200 (winter motorway) to 300 driven carefully in summer. It absolutely slaughters its established European rivals such as the Renault Zoe (30k+, slow charging, smaller, substantially less range). Our last EV was a Tesla model S which is a fab car but not really appropriate for popping to the shops and doing school runs - normal stuff. My other half was a bit scared to drive the model S but is fine with the MG4. 4.5k miles in I have nothing but praise for the MG4.

I’ve test driven the ioniq 6, polestar 2, and the model y recently (really fortunate to maybe getting a company car in due course), and whilst they’re great cars, after every test drive I got back into the mg4 and genuinely preferred it to the other.

The ioniq 6 driver assists are the most polished of all, but the drive, handling, acceleration, ease of driving, we’re not a big step up from the mg4 (even with its sometime quirky software behaviour).

Polestar 2 was solid, but again, nothing that outshined the mg4.

Tesla model y is a super car but the ride, like the model 3, is really firm and for uk roads (other than longer distances on the motorway), the mg4 rides better.

In conclusion, until maybe the performance mg4 is released, our second car will remain as is (a beaten up only 2013 leaf that still does the job).

We’ve had our mg4 since a December last year and I am still looking for excuses to take it out for a spin. Love it.

Our second car is also a beaten up leaf - 2014, 24kw version. Still does 85 miles.
We’ve lost a bad on our leaf, so in the winter, we’re lucky if we get 55 miles from it. Still good for short commutes and visiting family locally though.

I really don’t need to upgrade the leaf (in addition to having the mg4), but will be tempted by the performance model I’m sure.

Our second car is also a beaten up leaf - 2014, 24kw version. Still does 85 miles.
Ours is the 30kw 2017 version (still the original shape, and still at 100% battery), great for running around town, dropping the kids off etc, and it is buiilt like a tank.
If you want to keep the car (domsim) there are a few places doing 40kw battery upgrades. not sure of the prices though, you would need to google it.

I agree re: the MG4 vs the competition, we love ours. I think there are valid criticisms re: the support from MG, dealer experiences, quality of some interior materials and some corner cutting. But even so, when I have sat in competing cars people tell me have "a far better interior", I am not seeing it, I like the clean minimalistic lines of the MG4 and the very comfortable seats.

Last edited:
I completely agree with all of the above.
As previously mentioned, I test drove the VW iD4 and then the MG4. And while I was completely unimpressed with the VW, I immediately liked the 4 enough to buy one.
And since ownership for over 3 months, I still love looking at it as well as driving it.
It is easily the class leader.

I agree with all the above, I went to the Fully Charged show a year back, test drove the EV6, Kona, and MG5, could not see £20k extra for the EV6 albeit a lovely car was worth it. The the MG4 came out and test drove that, it was a no brainer. 2k miles, fast charging, quick off the mark, longish range, reasonable price, you don't need much else. And it's not a bloody SUV the size of a planet!

I agree 100% with this. It's our first electric car, although I'm the only driver in the house, and I love it, it really is a fantastic drive.
So true, they nailed the ride / handling balance straight out of the gate. Leaving aside the fun it is on a twisty b road, its also a great roundabout tool when in town. Almost too quick and pointy though, can catch other drivers out :)

So true, they nailed the ride / handling balance straight out of the gate. Leaving aside the fun it is on a twisty b road, its also a great roundabout tool when in town. Almost too quick and pointy though, can catch other drivers out :)
Had ours for under a week. My wife puts it in Eco mode, not to increase range but to make it less "quick and pointy" as you put it.

Almost too quick and pointy though, can catch other drivers out :)
1683733848548.gif

Still holding out for the dual motor option ;-)

4WD model will likely be a hoot. Can't help think that a 300 bhp RWD with slightly uprated brakes and damping and 225 tyres would be just enough though.
I like the uncorrupted feel of the steering wheels not being driven as well, sometimes less is more.

Agreed, give me a BMW over an Audi any time (owned both)

I got the MG4 in December and started a thread on here ‘love the car’. Now some months later it’s still the same, it’s great driving, sound, shape, auto cruise, car play, speed… too much actually better then all existing evs… including Tesla (expensive).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back