MG4 is a huge leap forward

I've had my MG4 Trophy for 1.5 months and I am absolutely loving it. Last night I had a leisurely drive down the coast (46 miles) to our holiday home which used 16% of the battery. I was using the heating system and had the cars wifi hotspot on, my partner was streaming YouTube on it the whole way down! For me that free data hotspot is such a nice perk of the Trophy. When we arrived I'd achieved 4.5mpkh.

Its such a nice car to drive, one of the key things about having a car is the ownership experience, the little features that make you smile. I couldn't afford a Tesla, yet I'd love to own a Model Y, but even if I could I don't think it would give me the same sense of enjoyment in ownership. Possibly because I'd paid a premium for the badge I'd have much higher expectations, either way as my first EV I have no regrets in my choice.

I'm just out of a Hyundai Ioniq 38Kwh which I leased to see how I could get on with an EV. Having owned a Mercedes S Class and BMWs' prior to that, I can honestly say that my MG4 Trophy puts more of a smile on my face when I venture out in it.
The smooth ride and immediate acceleration surpasses all the previous cars I have owned, even the 650 BMW.
The MG4 feels like it can be whatever you want it to be, a comfortable cruiser or an off the spot racer.
If they can iron out the software and firmware bugs, it will be a car that very few can match.

Last edited:
I'm still very happy indeed with mine, notwithstanding my gripes about a handful of software glitches. I have not been achieving the range figures others have reported because I drove it on the motorway as I would have driven my Golf GTi, and it came up to scratch. At one point I looked at the dashboard and it said 92, and I guiltily tried the regenerative braking for a bit. I had got to that speed without realising how fast the damn thing was going, because I was in a group of cars who were all speeding, and the MG4 is so quiet and effortless.

Touring on unclassified roads in the Dales I did see 4.2 miles/KWh. My friend was directing me on what was a positive roller-coaster, and the car took hair-raising hairpin bends on silly gradients in its stride without feeling in the slightest bit unsafe. The tight turning circle helped a lot there.

When I looked at my battery usage info at the end of my 46 mile trip it said 3kWh in regenerative braking! Didn't think it would be that effective!

When I looked at my battery usage info at the end of my 46 mile trip it said 3kWh in regenerative braking! Didn't think it would be that effective!
Yep regen makes a huge contribution , easily 25 % in an average jaunt I find. That's why I only charge to 100% a couple of times a month, even with LFP. The car sups electrons and the brakes feel slightly inadequate till you burn off a few kWhrs :oops:

Of course, with the Trophy that is the correct procedure. But the SR is happy to be whacked up to 100% as often as you like, and indeed it doesn't pay any attention to any app instructions to stop before that - unless you actually tap on "stop charging" at the desired moment. The only downside is that you lose regenerative braking for the first few miles every time you do that. I'm not sure how significant that really is.

4WD model will likely be a hoot. Can't help think that a 300 bhp RWD with slightly uprated brakes and damping and 225 tyres would be just enough though.
I like the uncorrupted feel of the steering wheels not being driven as well, sometimes less is more.
Agreed, 300HP + RWD would be the sweet spot for me.

Double wishbone front suspension would be nice also, as there is a lot of room for it when there isn't a motor up front.

Of course, with the Trophy that is the correct procedure. But the SR is happy to be whacked up to 100% as often as you like, and indeed it doesn't pay any attention to any app instructions to stop before that - unless you actually tap on "stop charging" at the desired moment. The only downside is that you lose regenerative braking for the first few miles every time you do that. I'm not sure how significant that really is.
I only needed to set it once to 80% in the app, and whatever charger I'm using stops at that point. The GOM says 220 miles at that point which is still more than the SE at 100%.

I don't think you can set the battery level in the SE as it doesn't need the same health management the Trophy does.

I got the MG4 in December and started a thread on here ‘love the car’. Now some months later it’s still the same, it’s great driving, sound, shape, auto cruise, car play, speed… too much actually better then all existing evs… including Tesla (expensive).
I have driven a good few EVs and as much as i really enjoyed driving the 4, people are kidding themselves saying it's better than all existing EVs on the market.
As a package (size,hatch,speed,handling and it's biggest plus cost) it might be the best EV for someone's circumstances.
It certainly isn't the best EV on the market!

I have driven a good few EVs and as much as i really enjoyed driving the 4, people are kidding themselves saying it's better than all existing EVs on the market.
As a package (size,hatch,speed,handling and it's biggest plus cost) it might be the best EV for someone's circumstances.
It certainly isn't the best EV on the market!
There is no "best" anyway because people's needs are different.

There is no "best" anyway because people's needs are different.
Absolutely budget being the biggest influence but let's not talk nonsense and say the MG4 is better than the model 3, Y, EV6, Ioniq5, Mustang Mach e.

All clearly more expensive but better, there is obviously another cost level above the models I've just mentioned where there could be better EVs again (BMWs, Mercedes etc)

Best EV is clearly relative to cost as a big factor, hence the reason I said the MG4 could be the best EV for someone's circumstances!

People are getting a bit carried away, I forget the thread where the member claimed to have "smoked" a model 3 from the lights, even a basic model 3 has a 5.5 sec 0-60, if it's driver had wanted to it would have left the 4 for dead.

A bit of perspective is needed that's all, it's a good car.

If you can cope with the SR range (and spec), then the SE SR is probably the best VFM EV currently on the market. But yes - there are EVs out there that are far better from a spec/quality/performance standpoint, but you have to pay for it.

It’s nice that many people are enjoying their cars - long may it continue. Ownership should be an enjoyable experience - not the nightmare that some have reported.
I am definitely enjoying mine, nothing and no car is perfect, something to accept and help to move towards perfect, but the MG4 suits me very well and in my view is a perfect all rounder, looks great and a pleasure to drive. Better than a lot of more expensive EVs'.

Absolutely budget being the biggest influence but let's not talk nonsense and say the MG4 is better than the model 3, Y, EV6, Ioniq5, Mustang Mach e.

All clearly more expensive but better, there is obviously another cost level above the models I've just mentioned where there could be better EVs again (BMWs, Mercedes etc)

Best EV is clearly relative to cost as a big factor, hence the reason I said the MG4 could be the best EV for someone's circumstances!

People are getting a bit carried away, I forget the thread where the member claimed to have "smoked" a model 3 from the lights, even a basic model 3 has a 5.5 sec 0-60, if it's driver had wanted to it would have left the 4 for dead.

A bit of perspective is needed that's all, it's a good car.
The MG4 was better for me than all the cars you listed and yes price was a factor but not the only factor - and it all depends on a person's needs.

Saying one car is better than another is meaningless - you have to qualify it: eg faster, better quality materials, more space, cheaper, better infotainment for someone who wants to use Spotify and Google Maps etc etc.

So, no, I am not going to accept that anything is better than anything else (including the MG4) without knowing for whom and what they need.

The MG4 was better for me than all the cars you listed and yes price was a factor but not the only factor - and it all depends on a person's needs.

Saying one car is better than another is meaningless - you have to qualify it: eg faster, better quality materials, more space, cheaper, better infotainment for someone who wants to use Spotify and Google Maps etc etc.

So, no, I am not going to accept that anything is better than anything else (including the MG4) without knowing for whom and what they need.
As I said it depends on everyone's circumstances, but all the cars I've mentioned are faster, better quality materials, more space (they are all big cars)
Definitely not cheaper though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel