MG4 is a huge leap forward

Those things are all true, I'm only objecting to the 'better' word because that's situation-dependent.
If you take your personal circumstances out the proces you can say a car is better than another.

A BMW 4 series is better than a ford focus, a Porsche 911 is better than a 4 series a Ferrari 456 is better than a 911.

The BMW probably suits what I would prefer and need out of all of them doesn't mean the Ferrari isn't the better car

If you take your personal circumstances out the proces you can say a car is better than another.
No you can't - it is meaningless. Better is a judgement and a judgement requires both a person and a perspective. There's no absolute standard.

A BMW 4 series is better than a ford focus, a Porsche 911 is better than a 4 series a Ferrari 456 is better than a 911.
These cars are different because they are built to different priorities / markets.

The Ferrari and Porsche are awful from a cost perspective, economy and practicality.

Yes, they contain more expensive components, but that doesn't make them better - faster, better handling, certainly- but also far more costly to run, less practical and less efficient.
The BMW probably suits what I would prefer and need out of all of them doesn't mean the Ferrari isn't the better car
Yes it does, better only has meaning in the context of your circumstances - so for you the BMW is best but you can't say it is better than the Ford for someone else, only you.

Arguments about cars without context are pointless.

No you can't - it is meaningless. Better is a judgement and a judgement requires both a person and a perspective. There's no absolute standard.

These cars are different because they are built to different priorities / markets.

The Ferrari and Porsche are awful from a cost perspective, economy and practicality.

Yes, they contain more expensive components, but that doesn't make them better - faster, better handling, certainly- but also far more costly to run, less practical and less efficient.

Yes it does, better only has meaning in the context of your circumstances - so for you the BMW is best but you can't say it is better than the Ford for someone else, only you.

Arguments about cars without context are pointless.
Have you been in the pub all afternoon 😉

I have driven a good few EVs and as much as i really enjoyed driving the 4, people are kidding themselves saying it's better than all existing EVs on the market.
As a package (size,hatch,speed,handling and it's biggest plus cost) it might be the best EV for someone's circumstances.
It certainly isn't the best EV on the market!
I understand the all electric Bentley is a very good all round car. Sadly I can't afford it!

I’ve said it before, I get the ‘excitement’ about the SR at the price level.
Get a problem free one (if they exist) or learn to ignore the faults and there isn’t much competition for it at present.
Some, but not much.
But people ‘bigging up’ the trophy are playing with fire, it’s not a bargain and there are some serious cars in that price bracket.
But if they constantly find excuses to choose the 4 (waaaah i only want an orange hatchback etc etc blablabla) then it’s their lookout.

If my Premium Bond came up and money was no object, would I choose the MG4? I don't know.

The fact is that the MG4 isn't just the only electric car I have ever driven, it's the only electric car I have ever been in. I have literally no comparison at all, other than a couple of YouTube videos comparing it to things like the Cupra Born.

If money was no object I'd have spent some days or weeks looking closely at the specs of all cars that seemed to meet my requirements - basically a hot hatch type runabout. (Yes I know the MG4 is not technically a hot hatch, but its handling characteristics and acceleration are a pretty good facsimile.) Instead what happened was that I began my search for my first electric car being fairly horrified by the prices all round. I began to wonder if I'd end up with a second-hand EV like a Leaf or a Zoe that was lacking a lot of the recent advances in EV technology. Or if I'd be forced to buy another ICE car.

Then, actually very quickly, the MG4 came on my radar. HOW much? That was a great deal more like it. I agree about the SE SR, it's the sweet spot in the range. I decided very quickly that I didn't need the extra range of the LR since it would only make a difference to the number of my charging stops very rarely, and I actually didn't like the Trophy anyway.

The MG4 SE was the only new EV that was in my price range that I liked the look of at all. The choice quickly settled down to, that, or God alone knows what I'm going to end up with. The test drive was really just to find out if it handled as well as the reviewers said it did, because if it did, I wasn't going to look anywhere else.

So I never did look anywhere else. I don't know whether I'd have gone for a Born or a VW or something else, if money hadn't been any consideration, because I didn't even look. In that sense the car is a huge leap forward, in that it puts this class of EV within the reach of a lot of people who aren't in the position to shell out north of £30K.

My main concern is durability. I intend to keep this car for a long time. In fact I hope not to have to buy another car before I'm too decrepit to drive. If it rusts into the ground (like my father's Datsun 100A did in about 1978 at the age of about three) then I'm in trouble. But right now I like it a great deal.

Perspective is all. My first car was a very battered £100 Marina and since then I've had various run of the mill hatchbacks which I kept until ~12 years old. My first car with cruise control was my ZS EV and now the MG4 which is a far better car, although obviously SUVs are more popular, which is one of the reasons I gained money on it after two years.

Both my EV purchases were very much driven by cost, although I did research elsewhere, so Teslas (and the like) are an irrelevance in that respect.

I understand the all electric Bentley is a very good all round car. Sadly I can't afford it!
That's the point I'm making it's the best car for people's circumstances not the best EV on the market

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back