MG4 Lack of software Updates thread

I'd like them to fix the bugs in the existing software first.

On the SE.

1. The USB music player is essentially useless because it lacks the facility to handle folders which the Trophy has.
2. The radio (well, the sound system) comes on whenever the car is woken up, even if you turned it off before you got out last time.
3. The auto-locking can't be disabled.
4. Update R16 added a new bug - it removed the outside temperature display from the central screen.

On the Trophy.

1. The LKA comes on when the central screen switches between light and dark modes, even if you switched it off before moving off. (If this has been fixed, maybe a Trophy owner can say.)
2. The HVAC screen vanishes a couple of seconds after the star button has been pressed. (Some people say they like this, I have no idea why.)
3. All the unpairing of phones, screen instability and so on that Trophy owners have complained about.

On both versions.

1. The pre-heating/cooling from the app doesn't work if the car is plugged in but not charging. (I thought someone had reported seeing a fix for this?)
2. The HVAC temperature control reads 5 degrees higher than the actual temperature reached at that setting.
3. The lights come on if the sun goes behind a cloud unless you take the cover off the sensor.
4. The state-of-charge indicators on the central screen are obviously meant to change to amber when the charge is getting low and red when it's very low (there are videos of cars doing this) but other than occasionally changing to amber at random times (including 100% charge), they stay green.

I've probably missed some. Vague reports of cars where one or two of these problems have been fixed, but pretty much all cars still seem to have them.
why would you want the HVAC to stay on 🤔

In the SE the HVAC screen appears when you press the star button and stays there until you press the star button again. This allows you to see what you're doing when you're altering the temperature and the fan speed, then dismiss the screen when you no longer want it. You can still do it all without looking at the screen if you want to, and pressing the star button again the second you're done adjusting the settings will get rid of it. It simply means the screen doesn't vanish while you're still adjusting it, and you don't find yourself in the position where you're looking at the home screen, but the car still thinks you're in HVAC mode when you next try to change the radio volume.

It seems entirely intuitive, and I'm baffled as to why Trophy owners say they're happy that the screen vanishes on its own after a couple of seconds.

In the SE the HVAC screen appears when you press the star button and stays there until you press the star button again. This allows you to see what you're doing when you're altering the temperature and the fan speed, then dismiss the screen when you no longer want it. You can still do it all without looking at the screen if you want to, and pressing the star button again the second you're done adjusting the settings will get rid of it. It simply means the screen doesn't vanish while you're still adjusting it, and you don't find yourself in the position where you're looking at the home screen, but the car still thinks you're in HVAC mode when you next try to change the radio volume.

It seems entirely intuitive, and I'm baffled as to why Trophy owners say they're happy that the screen vanishes on its own after a couple of seconds.
I have tried to explain why the Trophy behaviour can be desirable. Let me try again.

I can press the right function button and the AC screen flashes up to show me the current temperature and fan settings. Then it goes back to CarPlay (or whatever others are using), which means I can keep following my directions. I can then toggle the fan and the temperature using the right hand buttons without looking at anything and it flashes up again to confirm the change. Then I press the right function button to switch back to the normal mode.

Once you are used to this it is pretty intuitive. I have no idea which one is the intended behaviour.

But once you press the star button you can just use the joystick to adjust everything...left/right is fan speed which takes it out of auto and up/down the temperature...pressing the joystick selects Auto again....It's about the best feature of the entire home software..I used it many times during my trip 😊

With the R46 sw also the trophy behaves like this

The temperature indicated is vague at best...

I just use it as an up/down from whatever the car thinks it's delivering 😄

When it's 32 degrees outside all you get is very cold or ice...❄️

Hey everyone, I have a trophy currently on R30 and get a lot of these issues. I contacted my dealer with a breakdown of the problems including video evidence by email and requested the upgrade to R46. They have agreed and I'm booked in for the upgrade on Thursday with a courtesy car at no additional cost. The dealership told me MG are currently only upgrading people who actively complain to version R46 as it hasn't been officially rolled out yet.

I'm still on R13 for my SE LR. Absolutely sick of Android Auto crashing every 10-20 mins. I don't do any commuting so the majority of longer drives require sat nav. I have to rely on my passenger to unplug and replug in my phone every time this happens. Unacceptable performance. Other than LKA I love the car, but this issue is extremely frustrating to deal with.

Same, CarPlay reguarly disconnects. So frustrating, I dont care if they skip these things to make it cheaper - it’s still a £22k purchase.

Oh come on, it suggests that the SE behaviour is the right one, I thought you'd be happy about that, seeing as everything SE is clearly wonderful! 🤣

Oh, sorry, I'm getting confused. Yes, I think that in this instance (for once) the SE behaviour is the right one. I was very surprised when I heard that the Trophy was different, and it sounded very unintuitive. (I'm sure you've read my list of SE gripes often enough to know where I stand on the "everything SE is wonderful" question!)

This is good news in general. It's the sort of minor glitch of which the SE has several. If they actually fixed a glitch like that in the Trophy, maybe our turn will come.

Let's start a rant about the lack of updates, OTA upgrades, and extensively compare how other brands issue and deploy them (or not) and criticise the annoying bugs we find in the car and the iSmart app.

Please, write your comments in this one and not in the MG4 Software Updates thread which is just to track the latest version for the different trims.

I am fed up of the R30 navigator freezing the screen as it makes me miss many turns!
Let's not forget it could be worse. Here is a report on another manufacturer applying a software patch to what appears to be a physical problem, and a very important physical part too.

Let's not forget it could be worse. Here is a report on another manufacturer applying a software patch to what appears to be a physical problem, and a very important physical part too.

Good grief, what a mess. Funny, the loss of power problem that plagued some MG4s seems to have actually been fixed by a software update, after swapping out the motor and all sorts of things didn't work.

Sat Nav stopped working months ago despite several stays at Dealership, according to them software is problem. Agree we need a giant red button we can hit to stop the LKA as it comes back on every time I get back into the car. The LKA in my previous car had a few Emergency stops, usually because car in front used a slip road and my Hyundai Ioniq panicked and braked. My current MG4 Trophy has multiple dislikes and as a result my right foot is forever poised to take over acceleration to avoid being read ended. Apart from the LKA I love driving the car as it is a great fun car for people who are good drivers and know how to get the adrenaline flowing or you can drive it safely on cruise control at 20 mph as I currently drive in several speed zones, with cyclists zooming past going up steep hills, who will trigger the speed cameras and the only vehicle with road identification will be the guys and gaps who pay our taxes. Its quite ironic really as many of the cyclists are white haired and are riding their modified electric bicycles at speeds in excess of 40 mph in 20 mph zones, the world is going to heck in a hand basket!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back