MG4 Lane assist, speed assist keep resetting

We have a Mg4 SESR and the new facelift MG5 Trophy model both have LKA but are different when I picked up the 4 5/6 weeks ago I had never driven a car with this in it and when we set off for home after around 2 miles on country roads I stop the car as I had trouble stopping it trying to pull us in to a ditch along the side of the road stopped and because I had a little bit of knowledge about this from reading this forum I went into the menus to find to LKA was switched on promptly switch it off and it as stay that way since.
While it was switch on it was a battle to keep hold of the steering wheel the car almost taking us into the ditch down right dangerous

Now last Friday I got a MG5 Trophy which is also fitted with the pilot system and LKA but is completely different if I drift from my lane to ether side then a bong starts and keeps bong until I get the car back in lane but it does not do anything to the steering in the car there is no bongs when I turn on the indicator for example doing an overtake manoeuvre.
I think this is what is suppose to happen and not try to to take over the steering as the mg4 does. Surely something is amiss.
Les.

It makes me very happy that I have a Mk1 MG5 that has none of this nonsense!

We have a Mg4 SESR and the new facelift MG5 Trophy model both have LKA but are different when I picked up the 4 5/6 weeks ago I had never driven a car with this in it and when we set off for home after around 2 miles on country roads I stop the car as I had trouble stopping it trying to pull us in to a ditch along the side of the road stopped and because I had a little bit of knowledge about this from reading this forum I went into the menus to find to LKA was switched on promptly switch it off and it as stay that way since.
While it was switch on it was a battle to keep hold of the steering wheel the car almost taking us into the ditch down right dangerous

Now last Friday I got a MG5 Trophy which is also fitted with the pilot system and LKA but is completely different if I drift from my lane to ether side then a bong starts and keeps bong until I get the car back in lane but it does not do anything to the steering in the car there is no bongs when I turn on the indicator for example doing an overtake manoeuvre.
I think this is what is suppose to happen and not try to to take over the steering as the mg4 does. Surely something is amiss.
Les.

I have a loan pre-facelift 5 while my 4 is at the dealer for the restricted speed fault.
It’s quite incredible how MG can get two cars so right and wrong.
I’d never consider a 5, it’s really not my cup of tea at all, but, barring some niggles like a weak fan/heater system, it’s as sorted as any other EV I’ve driven.
The 4 is like a beginner’s effort of a car, they’ve seemingly learned nothing from the 5.

I have a loan pre-facelift 5 while my 4 is at the dealer for the restricted speed fault.
It’s quite incredible how MG can get two cars so right and wrong.
I’d never consider a 5, it’s really not my cup of tea at all, but, barring some niggles like a weak fan/heater system, it’s as sorted as any other EV I’ve driven.
The 4 is like a beginner’s effort of a car, they’ve seemingly learned nothing from the 5.
The MG 5 is a rebranded Roewe Ei5 (also part of SAIC) could it be different engineering teams working on the cars,

Not until someone has a serious accident caused by LKA, and I think that is a real risk right now. LKA, along with other nanny modules in this car are far too sensitive (I'm thinking automatic headlights for one).
Auto headlights have always been pot luck on MGs, on our ZS EV MK1 we've turned them off and I have on the MG4.

But I thought that we had understood that you can change the sensitivity of the LKA settings. Is that not correct?

Auto headlights have always been pot luck on MGs, on our ZS EV MK1 we've turned them off and I have on the MG4.
Auto headlights are another thing to switch off at start up. I'm getting more than a little fed up with having to spend ages programming the car before driving. Oh for the days when you just got in a car and drove it!

LKA(!), Auto headlights, set driving mode, plug phone into Android Auto, put music back to radio, hunt around to find where DAB has gone again, turn off front crossing detection and then try and remember why I'm in the car in the first place 🤔🤭
That's a lot! What is front crossing detection? That's a new one on me.

Ah that one, it is a nightmare on my Skoda (regularly fires when it shouldn't).

I think I will need to create a pilots checklist for each journey!
It's getting more and more like preparing for an Apollo moon launch instead of driving to the shops (then having to repeat it all when I want to come back)!
System armed - go
Primers armed - go
Oxygen tank temperature - go
Comms check - go
Lane Keep Assist - Houston, we have a problem...

Auto headlights are another thing to switch off at start up. I'm getting more than a little fed up with having to spend ages programming the car before driving. Oh for the days when you just got in a car and drove it!
It's getting more and more like preparing for an Apollo moon launch instead of driving to the shops (then having to repeat it all when I want to come back)!
System armed - go
Primers armed - go
Oxygen tank temperature - go
Comms check - go
Lane Keep Assist - Houston, we have a problem...
Why do you want to turn off auto headlights. Just asking out of interest because on my current car I just leave them on auto.

Why do you want to turn off auto headlights. Just asking out of interest because on my current car I just leave them on auto.
Because they are far too sensitive, or not, as the case may be. Even on a bright day, every time I power on the car the headlights come on. Even the sun going behind a cloud momentarily turns the headlights on 😡

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back