MG4 Lane assist, speed assist keep resetting

Because they are far too sensitive, or not, as the case may be. Even on a bright day, every time I power on the car the headlights come on. Even the sun going behind a cloud momentarily turns the headlights on 😡
So obviously not just the daytime running lights then?

So obviously not just the daytime running lights then?
No, unforunately the headlights come on as well. I believe it to be yet another NCAP requirement.
It seems the daytime running lights are so bright that there were many cases of people thinking they had headlights on when in fact only the daytime running lights and hence no rear lights, were on. NCAP in their "wisdom" then deemed that all vehicles must start with headlights on.

Bernie I did bring this head light always being on up on the last podcast 21/12/22 when we where discussing poor range figures on the MG4 and Miles Robert’s said it was probably due to the sun being very low in the sky at this time of year and I have notice just lately it’s getting better than it was as the days of getting a bit longer and the sun is a little bit higher than it was so if that is the problem I im not sure much can be done about it.

Plus last Friday I got the new uplifted MG5 and that is just the same as the wife’s 4 in this respect, the thing with the four that gets me is when you put anything on the drivers seat the car boots up and all the flaming lights come on, same when you are just sat in the car waiting for somebody if you move on the seat the whole lot fires up lights an all, this seat switch idea is crazy in my opinion if you get in and you have forgot something you get out again to go back in doors or something and the whole car stays switched on unless you lock it and if it’s not in ready mode the whole lot is running on the 12v battery until you get back in and press the brake or faff about in the screen to power it down that done sitting there fine but you just catch the pedal or move your backside and here you go again madness in my view.
But I think most of this as been covers under MG4 likes and dislikes thread
Les

No, unforunately the headlights come on as well. I believe it to be yet another NCAP requirement.
It seems the daytime running lights are so bright that there were many cases of people thinking they had headlights on when in fact only the daytime running lights and hence no rear lights, were on. NCAP in their "wisdom" then deemed that all vehicles must start with headlights on.
That makes no sense, as it would follow rear lights automatically come on all the time as well.
Which they don’t.

Bernie I did bring this head light always being on up on the last podcast 21/12/22 when we where discussing poor range figures on the MG4 and Miles Robert’s said it was probably due to the sun being very low in the sky at this time of year and I have notice just lately it’s getting better than it was as the days of getting a bit longer and the sun is a little bit higher than it was so if that is the problem I im not sure much can be done about it.

Plus last Friday I got the new uplifted MG5 and that is just the same as the wife’s 4 in this respect, the thing with the four that gets me is when you put anything on the drivers seat the car boots up and all the flaming lights come on, same when you are just sat in the car waiting for somebody if you move on the seat the whole lot fires up lights an all, this seat switch idea is crazy in my opinion if you get in and you have forgot something you get out again to go back in doors or something and the whole car stays switched on unless you lock it and if it’s not in ready mode the whole lot is running on the 12v battery until you get back in and press the brake or faff about in the screen to power it down that done sitting there fine but you just catch the pedal or move your backside and here you go again madness in my view.
But I think most of this as been covers under MG4 likes and dislikes thread
Les
While my car is in for fixes, I am driving an MG5 (band new but not face lifted). I use to drive this type of car before getting the MG4 so I was used to it. I now have to say that MG4 spoiled me. Getting the key out to unlock and starting the car has become a faff. Lol, how easily we become lazy. So, I hear what people are saying about sometimes this and sometime I want to do that, but really 99% of the time we get and drive and the MG4 setup is great. The few times that is not the case, I am ok with.
MG4 might have teething problems but it is a fantastic car/ride. Much better than the pre-facelift MG5. The infotainment in that model is a joke.

We have a great car, we just need MG to do a little better customer care.

Let's enjoy this baby.

Keys and starter buttons are the past - the future is app’s and autonomy.

? Mine do....
Each time I start the car, the headlights and rear lights come on.
And ours do all the time night or day
While my car is in for fixes, I am driving an MG5 (band new but not face lifted). I use to drive this type of car before getting the MG4 so I was used to it. I now have to say that MG4 spoiled me. Getting the key out to unlock and starting the car has become a faff. Lol, how easily we become lazy. So, I hear what people are saying about sometimes this and sometime I want to do that, but really 99% of the time we get and drive and the MG4 setup is great. The few times that is not the case, I am ok with.
MG4 might have teething problems but it is a fantastic car/ride. Much better than the pre-facelift MG5. The infotainment in that model is a joke.

We have a great car, we just need MG to do a little better customer care.

Let's enjoy this baby.
Your driving an mg5 so have I been for getting on for 2 years now never needed the key to open it lock it or start it mine was the exclusive model not sure now but I don’t think the excite came with keyless locking and unlocking but not sure and maybe that’s what you have Q is it fitted with roof rails
Lots of stilly total unavoidable issues that are spoiling the MG4 for us to be honest.I agree the 4 is a great drive but all the things you need to do should not be necessary. We were told this car would keep the settings that the driver had put in for it for the next drive. It doesn’t do none of them and needs to be sorted out by MG then it might be a great car.
Les

Last edited:
Keys and starter buttons are the past - the future is app’s and autonomy.
Hmmm... just because there are fashions does not mean they are good ones...

I would not want the steering and braking/accelerating to be through the screen or my phone.

I would not want predictive-only indicators.

I wouldn't want the AI to take me to the destination it thinks would be best for me.

I suppose it could show "game over" after future Automatic Lane Controlling (no wheel) drives me into the nearest ditch?

Hmmm... just because there are fashions does not mean they are good ones...

I would not want the steering and braking/accelerating to be through the screen or my phone.

I would not want predictive-only indicators.

I wouldn't want the AI to take me to the destination it thinks would be best for me.

I suppose it could show "game over" after future Automatic Lane Controlling (no wheel) drives me into the nearest ditch?
I’ve said none of these things (I’m not even sure I understand what some mean). I said no keys (an app) and no starter button.
Autonomy comes in many ways and is delivered in stages, which we will develop and improve as we go, not one big bang.

This is certainly a concern (lane kill assist and abrupt breaking). I'm about to pull the trigger and buy but this has me questioning our purchase now especially because of having two small kids.

This is certainly a concern (lane kill assist and abrupt breaking). I'm about to pull the trigger and buy but this has me questioning our purchase now especially because of having two small kids.
I wouldn't worry too much. The MG4 scored a strong 5 stars in Euroncap and the LKA is a real pain but can be disabled easily enough before each journey. The self braking seems absolutely fine, I haven't had a single issue with that on either our MG4 or the ZS before that.

The self braking isn't a common issue, I can only think of 1 report. The ncap rating was 5 stars but was a good bit lower than competitors for rear child safety, if I remember right.
Only mention as you talk about kids, worth reading the report

The self braking isn't a common issue, I can only think of 1 report. The ncap rating was 5 stars but was a good bit lower than competitors for rear child safety, if I remember right.
Only mention as you talk about kids, worth reading the report
I agree and wonder if the camera/sensor for the self braking needs realigning?

I’ve said none of these things (I’m not even sure I understand what some mean). I said no keys (an app) and no starter button.
Autonomy comes in many ways and is delivered in stages, which we will develop and improve as we go, not one big bang.
Sorry, I was attempting (but failing) humour by extrapolating what might happen. Some of these inventions are not improvements in my opinion and time will tell if they succeed long term.

The more a car tries to anticipate my needs the more irritating I find the experience.

Sorry, I was attempting (but failing) humour by extrapolating what might happen. Some of these inventions are not improvements in my opinion and time will tell if they succeed long term.

The more a car tries to anticipate my needs the more irritating I find the experience.
Yes I agree - although I am, as you know all for technology and continuous improvement, many of the current developments have such a long way to go and some of them are even taking backward steps at the moment.
These developments must have public backing and confidence if they are to succeed.
Still, modern cars are much safer than ever thanks to vast improvements in build and safety functions, which can’t be a bad thing.

the LKA is a real pain but can be disabled easily enough before each journey.

Most 4s will be short journey cars, that’s not controversial to say.
So switching this off every bleeding short journey will quickly become tiresome, to the point many just won’t bother and will suffer it instead.
I’ve personally not encountered LKA as I switched it off on day one and it’s stayed off in my car.

Most 4s will be short journey cars, that’s not controversial to say.
So switching this off every bleeding short journey will quickly become tiresome, to the point many just won’t bother and will suffer it instead.
I’ve personally not encountered LKA as I switched it off on day one and it’s stayed off in my car.
Yes but when your car next goes into dealer this will be changed to a preset.
I’ve been very unlucky and have had the lot, braking, LKA incidents, the airbag & other niggles which need repair but aren’t trying to run me off the road. My kids call it the deathtrap and ask if we can go in dads car instead. We are in discussions with dealer as to what to do with it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back