MG4 Lane assist, speed assist keep resetting

Yes. I think it’s great that others are having a better time with their cars than I have and my long list of issues but the issue is real for some of us. Mine tried to pull me left at a minor roundabout and has pushed me towards a ditch on a country road and on the motorway tried to fling me in to the slow lane from middle lane when a transit van passed me at speed only to try and push me back out again as it realised there was already a car parallel to me in the slow lane - and the first two issues mentioned were after it’s been updated by dealer! Not trying the motorway again.
Wow. That’s appalling.

You may not but mine for sure does. Country lanes, roundabouts - pretty much anywhere. I think this just goes to show the variation in the software for individual settings amongst our cars. I’ve now been told that LKA which was able to be switched off permanently and not default to a preset was their demo software and should never have been uploaded to the cars. Quality Control anyone!
Well, that might also explain, why some cars don't default "on" even though they should after the update.

Although mine currently stays off I thought I would turn it back on to see how bad it is.

During the past week it has only activated once and it was really not too bad, I guess this is because I rarely get to go above the activation speed of approx 40mph. I was starting to wonder what all the bother was all about.

However, today I did a longer journey that involved dual carriageways and motorways. It's terrible! On the motorway it picked up some old temporary road markings that had been painted over and tried to drive me onto the hard shoulder. Different coloured tarmac, seams from repairs, wet patches you name it, it tried to follow them all.

It's now back off.

Can someone with the latest LKA software tell me what mode it defaults on to ? ( currently my LKA stays off and if I turn it on it has 2 modes - alert and lane assistance, the lane assistance is just pure dangerous, following the line in the middle of the road to closely then occasionally just deciding the ditch is “the road” )

I don't get how the same cars with the same software can have so many variations of issues with so many things.
You would think by now they would have an idea of which updates for what systems actually have a positive impact on the car and these would be the ones getting rolled out to all cars.
The fact that they don't seem to know or care or both about the issues owners are experiencing is a sad reflection on dealers, MG or both

I have a suggestion for MG (not that they probably read this forum), add a new binding in software so everyone can assign one of the two function buttons to a "custom" profile that remembers all the key settings, including LKA, regen, FCD etc... Then, at least an owner can set it up so that one button push is enough to get the settings they want on every journey.

I don't get how the same cars with the same software can have so many variations of issues with so many things.
You would think by now they would have an idea of which updates for what systems actually have a positive impact on the car and these would be the ones getting rolled out to all cars.
The fact that they don't seem to know or care or both about the issues owners are experiencing is a sad reflection on dealers, MG or both
Yes , it’s irritating. However, it’s important not to forget there is also potential user error and subjectivity to also take into account here. What some may describe as intrusive and dangerous others who are used to it might find acceptable.

I have a suggestion for MG (not that they probably read this forum), add a new binding in software so everyone can assign one of the two function buttons to a "custom" profile that remembers all the key settings, including LKA, regen, FCD etc... Then, at least an owner can set it up so that one button push is enough to get the settings they want on every journey.
I'd settle on the existing custom driving mode remembering all my settings. At least that's still only one thing to do and can be mapped to a star button if wanted on my Trophy.

Even one button every journey becomes tiresome.
Any Leaf owner having to press the telematics ‘accept/decline’ button on the screen every journey will tell you.

Even one button every journey becomes tiresome.
Any Leaf owner having to press the telematics ‘accept/decline’ button on the screen every journey will tell you.
Agreed, but then I have that now with Start/Stop on my petrol car. It only takes a second.
Due to WLTP and NCAP we are only going to have more of these.

Just a heads up, there is an update to the LKA which I had done to my car a week after I took delivery (1st Week Jan 2023) which softens LKA. I recommend that you go back to dealership and ask for this. It doesn't remove the fact that LKA is unpleasant to drive with but it does make it less aggressive and dangerous and so if I forget to turn it off I can still drive the car to somewhere safe to disable it again.

Another heads up, if you set LKA to be off or "alert" and then get out of the car for a moment to say shut the door you forgot to shut, when you get in the car it will appear that you setting is still in place but as soon as you set the car to drive it will reset back to default. You will need to put the car in to drive then park and reset the LKA.

Another heads up, you only get to see the LKA menu after you have got in to the car and put your foot on the brake peddle.

Hope this helps

Another heads up, you only get to see the LKA menu after you have got in to the car and put your foot on the brake peddle.
I can always access the LKA menu whether I've pressed brake or not. However changing LKA settings only works after pressing brake ... do it beforehand and pressing brake will set them back to default.

If you have the latest software there is no way to permanently disable lane keeping assist, it re-enables every time you start the car. Totally agree it's really dangerous especially on rural roads. There's a single track lane near us that for some reason confuses the LKA so it always tries to steer the car onto the verge and you end up having to fight the car. Really dangerous at the moment.
I've just picked up my MG4 and discovered this feature! LKA may be suitable for motorways, but for most other roads it is not suitable, especically rural roads. I live in North Devon and many roads are narrow. So when you have a white line down middle of the road and bank on edge of road, the feature kicks in fequently and is most disconcerting to say the least. It is, in fact, as others suggest, outright dangerous. Needs to be fixed by MG for sure.

As Guru says, picked up my car 4/11 and I could permanently disable the very aggressive LKA but it went in on 14/12 and they updated it and now it resets every single drive. I’ve reported it strongly, yes have it available on our cars for safety purposes but we shouldn’t be forced to have it activated if we don’t like. Turning it off whilst driving given the sequence needed to do so is actually a safety risk in itself!
You have me worried now, turned mine off last April and it stays off. Due for service soon and hope any software update goes not have it "always turning back on". If only things like LKA were available to the * button.

You have me worried now, turned mine off last April and it stays off. Due for service soon and hope any software update goes not have it "always turning back on". If only things like LKA were available to the * button.
Are you driving an MG4? Your profile shows MG ZS is why I ask.

It depends on how much you value ACC TJA and emergency braking . If somehow lets say a piece of paper possibly black should accidentally fall upwards between the windscreen and camera then would that disable the offending item. Leaving a tab on the paper means it can be removed before servicing and you may want it for motorway journeys. I think the radar uses fuse 8 but the camera shares a fuse. You will also lose speed limit signs and active speed limit systems, its your choice but you did not hear it from me!
I have not had chance to try this personally so I cannot say one way or another if it will work. I guess I could be lambasted for this?

So, as MG didn't reply to my email about there "lovely" Lane Keeping Assist software I wrote to Euro NCAPS not really expecting a response. However I was pleasantly surprised as not only did they reply but they indicated that they recognised the issue and were in discussions with MG. Here is the reply from the email. I removed the guys name for data privacy, but you can easily contact them via their website (LSS = LKA):

Thank you very much for contacting us on this.

Euro NCAP indeed requires the Lane Support System to be default ON for a part of the points. For information, this will be required by regulation as well.

Euro NCAP is also not impressed by the aggressiveness of the LSS system and we are in liaison with MG to resolve the issue.

Auto headlights are another thing to switch off at start up. I'm getting more than a little fed up with having to spend ages programming the car before driving. Oh for the days when you just got in a car and drove it!
Yes. Has anyone gotten a fix for this? My auto headlights and rain sensors don't work. They stay in all day so I have to manually switch them off in the day. Night is fine. And the rain sensor keeps running whether or not rain is falling and when it is falling, it doesn't increase or decrease speed. Took it into dealer twice. They did software updates. Didn't last long. Common issue around the world. Some people said when they got a new sensor it seemed to quell the problems. So I'm trying to get my dealer to do that. Also sometimes my infotainment system randomly blanks out. Also the mg pilot sometimes randomly quits for no reason. The emergency braking is a hit or miss

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back