MG4 Lane assist, speed assist keep resetting

I’ve always thought my year with motorcycles before passing the car driving test about 57 years ago stood me in good stead. I gained an acute perception of the road surfaces and conditions and the “ body language “ of the vehicles around me.

I had had my car licence for eight years when I did my motorcycle training, but I still find that training has stood me in good stead. Maybe too good? I can't get rid of the instructor's voice saying, "if you have to brake while you are cornering you have made a bad mistake."

Back to the point, my concern about the "safety features" of the MG4 (maybe other "modern" cars too) these features not always functioning. There are a list of exemptions for every single one when the specific feature is partially, or completely disabled. Mainly when the weather conditions are not the best, or visibility is low or restricted. So when we most need them, they are not available. We we don't, they making our (drivers) life hell. So thanks Euro NCAP.

Here is my answer from Euro NCAP. Do anyone have the avaliable software?

Dear,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Euro NCAP sees Lane support systems like LKA as an important tool to avoid accidents caused by vehicles leaving their lane, gradually, owing to inattentiveness on the part of the driver, or suddenly when a bend has been misjudged.

For the system to pick-up on these situations, it needs to be switched on. That is the reason that Euro NCAP only rewards points for systems that are activated automatically when the vehicle is started.

Euro NCAP is liaising with MG, who have indicated that they already have updated software available.

Please visit your dealer to get the vehicle updated.

Thank you!

Dear,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Euro NCAP sees Lane support systems like LKA as an important tool to avoid accidents caused by vehicles leaving their lane, gradually, owing to inattentiveness on the part of the driver, or suddenly when a bend has been misjudged.

For the system to pick-up on these situations, it needs to be switched on. That is the reason that Euro NCAP only rewards points for systems that are activated automatically when the vehicle is started.

Euro NCAP is liaising with MG, who have indicated that they already have updated software available.

Please visit your dealer to get the vehicle updated.

Thank you!
And I see it as an important tool that the people responsible for such stupid decisions to put highly experimental and unstable features into car without actually testing it needs to get fired and never allowed to work in the automotive industry ever again. There is such an unfathomable amount of stupidity involved in this whole LKA farce that I'm losing my hope in humanity.

I had to renew my driving licence about three weeks ago, and all they asked about was health and eyesight. When I said I didn't need glasses to drive I got a "that's not the same as the information we hold for you" message, but when I over-rode it, that was accepted. (I suppose they get a lot of people who have had eye surgery.)

My mother was blithely telling them her eyesight was OK while she was being treated for glaucoma. I made her fess up when she was doing the form in my presence, and they contacted her ophthalmologist then took her licence away. She wasn't best pleased but I was relieved. (She wasn't actually driving anyway, but honestly!) But if I hadn't been there she'd have gone right on not mentioning the glaucoma and who would have known?
Here in Spain, as well as the eye test, you have to do the psycotechnical reactions and co-ordination tests at each renewal. Every 10 years up to 65, then every 5 years then after 70 every two years. The tests involve anticipating when a point travelling at various speeds will re appear after passing behind a square of varying sizes. Also tested is your ability, using handles in your left & right hands to keep two dots (one for your left hand and one for your right) within two pairs of parallel lines or "roads" which converge and diverge, and have curves, speeding up as the test progresses. Not as easy as it sounds by a long chalk.

Here in Spain, as well as the eye test, you have to do the psycotechnical reactions and co-ordination tests at each renewal. Every 10 years up to 65, then every 5 years then after 70 every two years. The tests involve anticipating when a point travelling at various speeds will re appear after passing behind a square of varying sizes. Also tested is your ability, using handles in your left & right hands to keep two dots (one for your left hand and one for your right) within two pairs of parallel lines or "roads" which converge and diverge, and have curves, speeding up as the test progresses. Not as easy as it sounds by a long chalk.
Now I know why I only go to Spain for a holiday.
Les

Thanks for posting

NCAP are Jokers IMHO 😁😁

In the circumstance below LKA does the exact opposite IMHO ... it encourages / creates accidents IMHO (unless the driver is fully on the ball). I drive the below road frequently and the odd time I have forgotten to turn LKA off the car will beep and attempt to steer me straight back at the cars parked on the side of the road rather than letting me straddle the middle hatching to overtake safely.

The only place for LKA for me is on dual carriageways / motorways with good line markings and (obviously) no parked cars !!

LKA.jpg

Thanks for posting

NCAP are Jokers IMHO 😁😁

In the circumstance below LKA does the exact opposite IMHO ... it encourages / creates accidents IMHO (unless the driver is fully on the ball). I drive the below road frequently and the odd time I have forgotten to turn LKA off the car will beep and attempt to steer me straight back at the cars parked on the side of the road rather than letting me straddle the middle hatching to overtake safely.

The only place for LKA for me is on dual carriageways / motorways with good line markings and (obviously) no parked cars !!

View attachment 22166

I agree with most of what you have written as many others here do, the problem is ratings
( NCAP ) boost sales in most areas that’s why manufacturers do all they can to obtain them ratings, spoiling for many what is an excellent vehicle's.
I’m not saying these devices and electronics shouldn’t be fitted to vehicles but they should always be able to be switched on or off by the owner and once set retain that setting until the owner/driver decides to adjust it.
Les

Wow! Nobody has checked me since I passed my test in 1972.

Thats strange as my car had updates done just before xmas for door locks and LKA and mine stays off? However I still have the drowsiness alarm in fault (Yellow Coffe Cup) on all the time. Wonder if linked?
We had the issue with the yellow coffee cup yesterday coming back from Bristol. So annoying! Just kept beeping. I could not figure out a way to turn the beep off. Does anyone know how to do this??

Thanks Les - I can disable it, but have to do so every time i set off - when you factor in driver mode resetting every time too, so that has to be changed - then the radio goes on pause every time you retstart the car & sometimes randomly connects with my phone music when i get in, this all makes for a time-consuming irritation every time i get in the car. Its downright dangerous to change it whilst driving, so i need to give my self 5 extra minutes just to sort all this out before setting off...its really frustrating & I wouldnt recommend the MG4 again on this basis alone....
OMG I have been getting the random changing of music too. Incredibly irritating. I must book the car in again as my auto unlock button has stopped working on the driver car as well. Have to say I have had so many issues with the MG4 I certainly wouldn't recommend it

I've never seen this coffee cup thing. I was wondering if it only happened to Trophys.
I don't know if we have a coffee cup symbol on the SE, but I think we do have a drowsiness detection system. However it's purely based on time as far as I know, so if you're driving for, say, 3 hours without a break then the warning will come up. Once you leave the car and lock it this resets the timer.

(I'm guessing, but I seem to recall reading this previously).

I don't know if we have a coffee cup symbol on the SE, but I think we do have a drowsiness detection system. However it's purely based on time as far as I know, so if you're driving for, say, 3 hours without a break then the warning will come up. Once you leave the car and lock it this resets the timer.

I was involved in an accident on a 5 minute trip and the coffee cup did light up along with other warnings at top left. But never seen them before.

Car had power and was drivable to get up the tow truck. SE SR pre-facelift on R13 FYI

Attachments

• photo_2024-04-29_15-20-44.jpg
    photo_2024-04-29_15-20-44.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 27

I've certainly driven for more than 2 hours non-stop and not seen anything. I'd have to be going fairly slowly to do 3 hours without having to charge anway.

When I got the car the dealer said something about the car monitoring how you're driving. I remember wagging a finger at the dashboard and saying, "are you going to judge me?", but I've never had any indication that there's anything there.

Trophys originally had the very intrusive eye monitoring system which constantly bonged and was appalling - however, there was very quickly a removal of the hardware from new builds and a deactivation in a software update (I think one of the mandatory ones) to fix this.

My car arrived without the system working and I've never seen one of these warnings even after driving for 4+ plus without a break.

Trophys originally had the very intrusive eye monitoring system which constantly bonged and was appalling - however, there was very quickly a removal of the hardware from new builds and a deactivation in a software update (I think one of the mandatory ones) to fix this.

My car arrived without the system working and I've never seen one of these warnings even after driving for 4+ plus without a break.
I have had the coffee cup warning come up just once. It was on a long (5 hour) journey that was 90% motorway, so perhaps it notes lack of steering input?

We had the issue with the yellow coffee cup yesterday coming back from Bristol. So annoying! Just kept beeping. I could not figure out a way to turn the beep off. Does anyone know how to do this??
This has been mentioned in some earlier threads. Advice was to stop the car, get out, lock it, wait for a bit, then unlock and proceed. Tough choice, I just kept going when it happened (only 20 minutes from home) and turned up the music which, of course, defeats the object except that the loud music keeps you awake anyway. I suppose the manufacturer could claim it's achieving its objective as your rising irritation level maintains your state of awakedness.🤪

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back