MG4 Lane keep assist

I live in the Lake District. From home to work most of the roads are narrower than the width of the car....so my right-hand side is constantly needing to go over the middle line. This means I'm constantly fighting with Lane Assist.

If I didn't have a tight grip of the wheel, after 2 weeks of ownership, best case scenario Id have very badly damaged hub caps, and worst case I would have been in an accident.
I agree. I too live in a rural area with narrow roads and LKA is downright dangerous.

Mine has stayed off since I turned it off on day 1. Not sure if it's a Trophy thing or software version thing, but if it kept turning that death trap on, I'd have been tempted to reject it.
I understand if software update released on 13-12 is installed then you can no longer turn off LKA. Im led to believe it’s a NCAP ruling

I turned mine off after three days
Very frightening and dangerous.
why cant the auto default reset be cancelled by the dealer?

That is what is crazy about the LKA....some stay off and some stay on. It seems to be luck of the draw when buying an MG4 as far as many other issues are concerned as well.
It’s to do with whatever software update you have

I’m led to believe all new cars now have this and it’s to do with rules around NCAP rating. The MG4 is particularly sensitive and really dangerous when driving on narrow roads.

Is it essential for this "feature" to be enabled in order to achieve the 5star NCAP rating? I don't see this particular implementation of lane keep assist being an enhancement to safety. I've driven other cars (kia, tesla) which have a much more useful lane keep assist, which you could see as enhancing safety, but the MG implementation doesn't add to safety, IMHO (in fact, for many - like my wife - it seems to make the car more dangerous!)
I totally agree with your thoughts and feelings

I’m led to believe all new cars now have this and it’s to do with rules around NCAP rating. The MG4 is particularly sensitive and really dangerous when driving on narrow roads.
Les you put it so well

You’d hope MG would by now be aware of this issue and the very serious implications.
I’m thinking (hoping) maybe a software update could be developed or is even in development that would take the “edge” off this feature and make it less aggressive while still maintaining its NCAP conformity.
I don’t know if the relationship between the software commands and the steering hardware would allow this but, as member Bodgerx pointed out to me on here, this is MG not Tesla. They don’t exactly throw software updates out by the bucket full.

I thought they had issued an update not so long ago to decrease the severity of the LKA. Do we have evidence of this from people who have taken delivery of the more recent ones. Woud I be right in thinking that the folks here complaining maybe have not had that update or is it still lethal after the update?

I thought they had issued an update not so long ago to decrease the severity of the LKA. Do we have evidence of this from people who have taken delivery of the more recent ones. Woud I be right in thinking that the folks here complaining maybe have not had that update or is it still lethal after the update?
My car is in at the moment for latest software update that was released on 13/12 I am getting the update to prevent my car deadlocking with me inside. That was an unpleasant scary experience. Prior to update I had turned LKA off and it stayed off I’m now advised after update I’ll need to turn off before every journey. I’ll leave it on for a journey and let you know if it’s not as severe as initially

The system and how it is to operate is defined by NCAP LSS protocol 4.0, if you Google emergency lane keep assist it is how a lot of manufacturers have taken the requirements that the car must essentially return the middle of the lane on correction, and if the car determines you are heading into oncoming traffic or about to leave the road due to crossing the central road markings or solid line, it will correct to return to the correct labe position.

If you are having to cross the central road markings you should be indicating at which point the system is deactivated or should I say be inhibited as you've told the system you know that you're crossing the line.

If you're crossing the line as you take the racing line, it would appear future cars are going to be an issue for you, unless you go for a car like a Dacia as they refuse to implement ELK and ALK due to the requirements of the implementations, so their cars as a consequence score poorly at NCAP.

If the road is that narrow you have to drive over the centr of the road it's not wide enough for two directional travel it shouldn't be marked up.

We got ours less than a month ago, and it does this. No idea if it's more or less severe than other models, but it is certainly unnerving and, as others have said, borderline dangerous on narrow country roads (like where I live). I have yet to be able to turn it off and have it stay off - going to try the MG Pilot fix suggested above, and go back to the dealer for help if that doesn't work.

Many thanks would appreciate that. I am hoping to order one in the new year but am waiting for all the gremlins to be ironed out!!

I turn my lane keep assist off when I get in my mg4 but as soon as I get out of my car then get back in it defaults to on again any way of making LKA off permanently Tony
Yes. In MG Pilot, I changed Mode Select from TJA to ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)
Now, Keeping Lane Assist can be turned off.
Personally, I think that the way the steering wheel is snatched left/right is dangerous.

Last edited:
I have the latest update on mine, and so LKA is default on, each time I power on the car. 99% of the time it's not noticeable, but drive onto a busy (lots of exits) roundabout and its like trying to break in a wild horse - it's all over the place. It's not always possible, or even advisable sometimes, to keep wobbling the indicator stalk up and down whilst traversing all the white line markings. I mean, those type of markings are almost impossible to follow even without the "assistance" of LKA.

It sounds from owners comments like the MG LKA is affecting driving in and adverse and sometimes dangerous way.
I wonder how many owners have actually complained and given MG feedback ?
If many customers are complaining to MG about the system at time being dangerous it adds significant weight and pressure to get it sorted quickly.
Or have most taken to the forums/social media or just taken a grin and bear approach until something improves?

I have the latest update on mine, and so LKA is default on, each time I power on the car. 99% of the time it's not noticeable, but drive onto a busy (lots of exits) roundabout and its like trying to break in a wild horse - it's all over the place. It's not always possible, or even advisable sometimes, to keep wobbling the indicator stalk up and down whilst traversing all the white line markings. I mean, those type of markings are almost impossible to follow even without the "assistance" of LKA.
They are excellent points. There are many instances when ‘straightlining’ is perfectly acceptable and safe.
Also the idea of pointlessly indicating when there is nothing around and a complete waist of time, so as to stop the steering jerking your back in lane doesn’t sit that well.
A lot of these challanges are not just MG but all LKA system. However, it does seem MG have a particularly harsh and sometimes very troublesome system.
I suppose we should try to be supportive of LKA if we can, as I’m sure when functioning well as a safety system, it can save lives and injury.

Will have both manuals. Redacted Will send full amount tomorrow. Let me know you have received this

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel